Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Memories of Sept 11th, 2001

Memories of Sept 11th, 2001

Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:46 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Memories of Sept 11th, 2001

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

For a week thereafter, I kept copies of our local newspaper as events unfolded and information came forward. I still have those newspapers.

Ian
On September 12th I purchased a copy of the "New York Times" and "USA Today" (not that I think it is a 'proper' newspaper as such, but the colour photos and graphics/timeline were of excellent quality).

I still have those newspapers - not sure what I will ever do with them but they are a primary source of history; perhaps one day in another couple of decades or so, a museum or school may be happy to receive them...or indeed maybe even my offspring may like have them pass on to future generations.

I had a heck of a job trying to buy the "New York Times" when Obama won the election (the edition just had the title 'Obama'). The only copy I was able to get was a bit tattered and I think my spouse threw it away!

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

For a week thereafter, I kept copies of our local newspaper as events unfolded and information came forward. I still have those newspapers.

Ian
On September 12th I purchased a copy of the "New York Times" and "USA Today" (not that I think it is a 'proper' newspaper as such, but the colour photos and graphics/timeline were of excellent quality).

I still have those newspapers - not sure what I will ever do with them but they are a primary source of history; perhaps one day in another couple of decades or so, a museum or school may be happy to receive them...or indeed maybe even my offspring may like have them pass on to future generations.

I had a heck of a job trying to buy the "New York Times" when Obama won the election (the edition just had the title 'Obama'). The only copy I was able to get was a bit tattered and I think my spouse threw it away!

Ian

I still have those newspapers - not sure what I will ever do with them but they are a primary source of history; perhaps one day in another couple of decades or so, a museum or school may be happy to receive them...or indeed maybe even my offspring may like to have them pass on to future generations. There are so many newspaper publishers going out of business (even the NY Times is struggling) there may not even be printed newspapers left in the next few years.

Last edited by Englishmum; Sep 13th 2010 at 11:49 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Memories of Sept 11th, 2001

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I still have those newspapers - not sure what I will ever do with them but they are a primary source of history; perhaps one day in another couple of decades or so, a museum or school may be happy to receive them...or indeed maybe even my offspring may like to have them pass on to future generations. There are so many newspaper publishers going out of business (even the NY Times is struggling) there may not even be printed newspapers left in the next few years.

Can I get scanned copies of those?
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Can I get scanned copies of those?
Yes - from the New York Times and USA Today. Anything else would be a violation of copyright under the DMCA.

Ian
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

For those of you, who live in the US, there has been quite a few programmes on TV recently regarding the tragedy. Lots of people actually had premonitions, although they wasnt too sure what
A guy was saying to his wife 'look im not going to be around for much longer and i want you to be strong for the kids' his wife kind of brushed it over but sure enough as she told her story, he died on 9/11.

Another tragic programme recently showed was the people who are still suffering from the 'aftermath' of the ash etc etc. (which I didnt even consider) where people who are suffering all sorts of illnesses some life threatening and others not. Due to the amount of ash they breathed in and radiation that was caused/created from the buildings etc etc. Mostly from ordinary people in the streets who were helping etc. Me and my husband just watched the T.V in disbelief. Just so sad, that 9 years on lives are still being affected whether from the damage that has been caused to their health from radiation and from those who lost their lives
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - from the New York Times and USA Today. Anything else would be a violation of copyright under the DMCA.

Ian
So where can I get copies? :s
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
So where can I get copies?
I already told you.

Ian