Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Melting Pot Of The Western World?

The Melting Pot Of The Western World?

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:40 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Melting Pot Of The Western World?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I think it's odd that some of the black entertainers who are mixed race (eg. Alicia Keys, Halle Berry) who are mixed race (white mother, black father and AFAIK their fathers deserted them) don't identify with being white at all and consider themselves black... (It may have something to do with the following paragraph).

I like the British singer Craig David. He's from Southampton and has a white parent and a black parent. He was going to have a promotional tour in the US and was told that if he didn't get rid of the white members of his backing band and replace them with black musicians, then his records would not be played on the US radio stations. He was appalled and refused to do so and his tour was indefinitely postponed.

Only Eminem sees to have been embraced by the black community I think?
really weird that, but afraid I have no idea what the black community think
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's odd that some of the black entertainers who are mixed race (eg. Alicia Keys, Halle Berry) who are mixed race (white mother, black father and AFAIK their fathers deserted them) don't identify with being white at all and consider themselves black... (It may have something to do with the following paragraph).

I like the British singer Craig David. He's from Southampton and has a white parent and a black parent. He was going to have a promotional tour in the US and was told that if he didn't get rid of the white members of his backing band and replace them with black musicians, then his records would not be played on the US radio stations. He was appalled and refused to do so and his tour was indefinitely postponed.

OT but i LOVE Craig David! I am from Southampton and used to go and see him play before he got famous. My sister met him last year and got me a signed picture from him. Its sad hes not bigger than he is over here but I supoose that paragraph above may help explain why.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the USA a mixed race child will have their race on the birth certificates etc written down as black unless the parents contest it.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lolly
Here in the USA a mixed race child will have their race on the birth certificates etc written down as black unless the parents contest it.
That is a big plus, opens up all sorts of opportunities.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolly
My friend who is British over here and married to African American, I will have to ask her what she did being as both there Children were born over here, but I find it strange that the Teenage Boy only go's out with White Girls and the Daughter prefers Black Boy's.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband works with a woman of Latino/Black heritage who grew up in the roughest part of LA (Compton), neither of her parents were native English speakers but they only spoke English to the kids and went for total integration. I wonder how many of us would be prepared to go that far to make our kids American?

I recently attended the Bar-Mitzvah of a South African family, towards the end of the 3-hour ordeal the rabbi asked what was the first thing people tought of when they heard "South Africa". Luckily i didn't say what I was thinking, as the required answer was "strong Jewish communities who do not integrate".
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:36 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally

I recently attended the Bar-Mitzvah of a South African family, towards the end of the 3-hour ordeal the rabbi asked what was the first thing people tought of when they heard "South Africa". Luckily i didn't say what I was thinking, as the required answer was "strong Jewish communities who do not integrate".
certainly wouldn't have been my 1st thought!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
certainly wouldn't have been my 1st thought!
Only Fools And Horses, for me.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:49 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
My husband works with a woman of Latino/Black heritage who grew up in the roughest part of LA (Compton), neither of her parents were native English speakers but they only spoke English to the kids and went for total integration. I wonder how many of us would be prepared to go that far to make our kids American?
I know someone from Indonesia who, along with her husband, only speak english to their kids. Different reason for doing it though. One of the kids has a speech delay, so trying to be bi-lingual would've been a nightmare for the littl'un.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
I know someone from Indonesia who, along with her husband, only speak english to their kids. Different reason for doing it though. One of the kids has a speech delay, so trying to be bi-lingual would've been a nightmare for the littl'un.
It must be so difficult - can't imagine having to do that.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 6:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

E Pluribus Unum
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: The Melting Pot Of The Western World?

Originally Posted by Manc
E Pluribus Unum
Oi....speak English won't you?
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:13 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Well the salad's well tossed around here.
This thread is making me hungry now.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

lauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Apols - I will read back.
Although America has never really been a true "melting pot," it used to hold that up as an ideal. Back in the 1950s when I was a kid, it was melting a bit more than it is now. Then immigrants were here for the total American experience: Citizenship, economic opportunities, the culture and philosophy of equality as well as equal opportunities, fairness etc. The ideals involved concepts like equality and tolerance and inclusiveness. It was OK to enjoy one's own ethnicity, but the ultimate goal was to become "American," not "______-American." Then the so-called "multiculturalism" took over, associated with the big corporations that like to import illegal cheap labor from 3rd world countries, a philosophy that uses "diversity" as its watchword instead of tolerance and equality. The American philosophy used to be that people from all over could unite and build a better world together and create a culture based on these ideals. Now the "melting pot" has turned into a sort of lumpy stew and the ideals seem to be fading away.