Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Melting Pot Of The Western World?

The Melting Pot Of The Western World?

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:47 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Melting Pot Of The Western World?

Got it. Will read again tomorrow. Sleep time now. Good night BE. It's good night from me and.........oh sod it ha ha. Nite nite
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
As the blurb says for the US section of this forum. Well, I don't want to be a moaning minnie but, having just noticed that, I have to disagree. (Hey, it gives me something to moan about, right? ha ha).
So far, in my (admittedly limited experience) America is so far from a 'melting pot' of cultures, creeds, religion and races that it is untrue.
Anyone who has ever ridden a bus will tell you the same. African Americans avoid Caucasian Americans, or Europeans, studiously. They live in financially, socially and, dare I say it educationally separated neighbourhoods. Latinos don't even bother. America is so much more segregated than even the UK, with it's inherently seperationalist island culture, that to call it (the USA) a melting pot is laughable. A melting pot suggests everyone mixes up and gets along just fine and dandy. That doesn't seem to be the case.
I may be wrong here and invite opinions on this. So far I have seen nothing but segregation and suspicion of other cultures and creeds. Any thoughts?
It's supposed to be a "salad" rather than a melting pot now...

When I lived in NYC, a teacher told me that was a rule - that you had to say salad rather than melting pot!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:39 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I think times are changing but it is slow. You can see it in college classrooms also where the blacks all sit together (if they are American black), the hispanics, then the whites don't really care. The only difference you get is when you get non-American blacks in the classroom - they don't seem to have the same issues and it doesn't seem to matter whether they are from South America, Europe or Africa, they are just happy to sit wherever there is a seat and talk to anyone who will talk to them.

As I said - things are changing but it is just going to take time. Segregation was here for a long time and many communities are over 30 years old.

Our neighbourhood - we have many Asians but very few blacks or hispanics. However, the school is a good mix. I think we are still considered a majority white district though.

Saying all that - the students I work with at the two year college are all below the poverty line and are a mix of black, spanish speaking, Indian and white. They all happily talk and mix with each other and there are no dividing lines at all. the only times the divide is ever noticed is when those who struggle with English revert to their native spanish when someone else who speaks spanish is in the room.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:26 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
As the blurb says for the US section of this forum. Well, I don't want to be a moaning minnie but, having just noticed that, I have to disagree. (Hey, it gives me something to moan about, right? ha ha).
So far, in my (admittedly limited experience) America is so far from a 'melting pot' of cultures, creeds, religion and races that it is untrue.
Anyone who has ever ridden a bus will tell you the same. African Americans avoid Caucasian Americans, or Europeans, studiously. They live in financially, socially and, dare I say it educationally separated neighbourhoods. Latinos don't even bother. America is so much more segregated than even the UK, with it's inherently seperationalist island culture, that to call it (the USA) a melting pot is laughable. A melting pot suggests everyone mixes up and gets along just fine and dandy. That doesn't seem to be the case.
I may be wrong here and invite opinions on this. So far I have seen nothing but segregation and suspicion of other cultures and creeds. Any thoughts?
Most of the people we know in the USA were born somewhere else...
In FL we have a great mix of people that all get on...they come from Mexico Cuba Asia ...some are black Americans...sorry I don't hold with this African/Caucasian American rubbish...unless you are a new citizen...
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
It's supposed to be a "salad" rather than a melting pot now...

When I lived in NYC, a teacher told me that was a rule - that you had to say salad rather than melting pot!
Well the salad's well tossed around here.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:56 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Well the salad's well tossed around here.
that's what I was 'taught' to say when moved here - it's a tossed salad. I of course saw the funny side of that which she didn't!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
that's what I was 'taught' to say when moved here - it's a tossed salad. I of course saw the funny side of that which she didn't!
Know what you mean Here where I am must be something to do with the Navy marrying us foreign Bird's
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 2:06 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Know what you mean Here where I am must be something to do with the Navy marrying us foreign Bird's
as long as they don't carry you off to foreign ports.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

as long as they don't carry you off to foreign ports.
It's foreign enough for me though
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 2:12 pm

It's foreign enough for me though
oohh you poor wee soul you need a hug!
but you are right we are the foreigners here!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

* White Non-Hispanic (89.6%)
* Hispanic (8.0%)
* Other race (4.2%)
* American Indian (1.3%)
* Two or more races (1.3%)

Never too sure about the Hispanic figure, sounds high but I may have Spanish or Portugese ancestors for all I know, never looked that far back.

There are a lot of people with surnames ending in ski or ich, more relevant to have a category for those with eastern european backgrounds.

Most of the demographics are down to economics.

Not sure about the UK though, I lived in central London and it was very divided, maybe by a few streets rather than 10 miles.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 2:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed that there are far fewer mixed race couples here than back in England. It almost seems taboo here for people to have a serious relationship/marriage if one partner is black and one is white.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've noticed that there are far fewer mixed race couples here than back in England. It almost seems taboo here for people to have a serious relationship/marriage if one partner is black and one is white.
yes but also here I met an apparently mixed race couple and I thought she was white (she called herself African American) so glad I didn't open my mouth! There seems to be loads of people that identify themselves as black but to me look white, which is fine but I don't want to say the wrong thing and offend them!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
So, rather than how it "feels", how many of you have racial minorities as neighbours, which would be a better measuring stick.

In our street there are two hispanic families, the other 18-20 are white.
ON a street with 8 houses, we have me from england, a black family, a hispanic family, a french family, a jewish family and then 3 houses with white americans.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 3:37 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: The Melting Pot Of The Western World?

yes but also here I met an apparently mixed race couple and I thought she was white (she called herself African American) so glad I didn't open my mouth! There seems to be loads of people that identify themselves as black but to me look white, which is fine but I don't want to say the wrong thing and offend them!

I think it's odd that some of the black entertainers who are mixed race (eg. Alicia Keys, Halle Berry) who are mixed race (white mother, black father and AFAIK their fathers deserted them) don't identify with being white at all and consider themselves black... (It may have something to do with the following paragraph).

I like the British singer Craig David. He's from Southampton and has a white parent and a black parent. He was going to have a promotional tour in the US and was told that if he didn't get rid of the white members of his backing band and replace them with black musicians, then his records would not be played on the US radio stations. He was appalled and refused to do so and his tour was indefinitely postponed.

Only Eminem sees to have been embraced by the black community I think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.