Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mega Millions Lottery

Mega Millions Lottery

Old Mar 30th 2012, 12:49 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mega Millions Lottery

Originally Posted by N1cky
and if I win will I be better of claiming in Oregan than California, or does it depend where you bought the ticket?
Why's that? there is no state tax or local taxes on lottery wins in California - if you supply a ss number, you get taxed at 25% from the feds.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I went to get gas yesterday afternoon and the line was all the way out and around the gas station with people waiting to buy tickets! People are buying loads of tickets and some are even getting free tickets! I wonder if the jackpot will increase even more.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
... "What would you do if you won?" - Run for President.

the odds are what now, 175M:1 ?!?!
Nah - Move back to England and buy some Petrol.

Jim.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

and if I win will I be better of claiming in Oregan than California, or does it depend where you bought the ticket?
You have to claim the prize in whatever state you brought the ticket in and abide by whatever tax requirements that state has. Interesting to see how much you get if you take the lump sum and it has been taxed - still enough to buy your own island and hire accountants to ensure you never pay another penny of tax again
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:55 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
You have to claim the prize in whatever state you brought the ticket in and abide by whatever tax requirements that state has. Interesting to see how much you get if you take the lump sum and it has been taxed - still enough to buy your own island and hire accountants to ensure you never pay another penny of tax again
I read this morning that if it stands at $540m you can take 26 annual payments of $21m or instant cash of almost $400m. Decisions, decisions...
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Jackpot has been revised to $640 million!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:39 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Jackpot has been revised to $640 million!
It makes me laugh how everyone starts playing when it gets over $300m. As if $30m wouldn't be enough
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

It makes me laugh how everyone starts playing when it gets over $300m. As if $30m wouldn't be enough
That's a funny thing to say; "As if $30m wouldn't be enough". Is there an amount you could win above which you'll just give it all away? In any case, your life style will always rise to match your income/wealth so no matter how much you have, you'll always want more - that's human nature.

I'm also sure that I won't be turning down whatever the prize turns out to be if I win it and I'm willing to bet that neither would you!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm
That's a funny thing to say; "As if $30m wouldn't be enough". Is there an amount you could win above which you'll just give it all away? In any case, your life style will always rise to match your income/wealth so no matter how much you have, you'll always want more - that's human nature.

I'm also sure that I won't be turning down whatever the prize turns out to be if I win it and I'm willing to bet that neither would you!
Aye - even with the half billion jackpot, you might only match four numbers and win a few grand. A few grand, however, would pay off our cars.

I won't turn my nose up at dosh, whatever the size, but I'm tight as a gnat's chuff, me.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

I'd be more than thrilled with a puny $3million.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deeks
I'd take enough to pay off our house, cars and credit cards.

Half a billion, though? Oh, to be able to flick the world a V-sign and spend the rest of my life having fun. How great.

I'd arrange a massive BE pissup in the Caribbean somewhere, though. So we can correct each other in person
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Deeks
Exactly, so why do so many people wait until the jackpot is over $300 million to play?
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:10 pm
I have a comma problem

Exactly, so why do so many people wait until the jackpot is over $300 million to play?
I suppose if you're tight, like me, if you're going to throw a buck after an impossibility, it might as well be a big one ...
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you won, would you take it as a lump sum and pay higher tax, or take it as a salary over a bunch of years to have a lower initial tax dump?

Either way, about half of it is going to the tax man...which seems cheeky when they're already taxing you on buying the ticket in the first place
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:12 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bob
If you won, would you take it as a lump sum and pay higher tax, or take it as a salary over a bunch of years to have a lower initial tax dump?

Either way, about half of it is going to the tax man...which seems cheeky when they're already taxing you on buying the ticket in the first place
With a large amount like this, I'd be inclined to take the salary. Could you imagine trying to manage a lump sum of a few hundred million

How cool would it be to actually have a Swiss bank account to bung some of your millions in, though ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.