Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medicare and SS

Wikiposts

Medicare and SS

Old Jul 20th 2005, 11:56 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medicare and SS

In the unlikely event that I stay in the US to retirement age does anyone know what happens with Medicare? I'm not working and don't intend to, so I won't be paying SS contributions. Is Medicare dependant on SS contribs?

Not so much thinking ahead, but plus points to throw at Mr Sibsie re moving back!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare and SS

Originally Posted by sibsie
In the unlikely event that I stay in the US to retirement age does anyone know what happens with Medicare? I'm not working and don't intend to, so I won't be paying SS contributions. Is Medicare dependant on SS contribs?

Not so much thinking ahead, but plus points to throw at Mr Sibsie re moving back!
I wouldn't think so. Afterall there are plenty of women on medicare who didn't work in their younger years. I'm pretty sure its not dependent on contributions.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:00 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie

If you don't qualify, you can buy it at a set price after you've served a full sentence of 5 years in the Land o' the Free as a permanent resident alien.

I believe qualification for the free part (hospitalization bit) requires (simplified) 10 years of SS contributions -- the other bit you have to pay for regardless.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:22 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you don't qualify, you can buy it at a set price after you've served a full sentence of 5 years in the Land o' the Free as a permanent resident alien.

I believe qualification for the free part (hospitalization bit) requires (simplified) 10 years of SS contributions -- the other bit you have to pay for regardless.
Can I have parole for good behaviour?

Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Can I have parole for good behaviour?

In freedom's paradise? The men in white coats will be taking you away for a little re-education, me thinks.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:27 pm
ImHere

In freedom's paradise? The men in white coats will be taking you away for a little re-education, me thinks.
Ahhh that'd be at the 'Correctional Facility' then.

Have you noticed that? Here its all "Law Enforcement" and "Correctional facility"

Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:28 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by ImHere
Ahhh that'd be at the 'Correctional Facility' then.

Nope -- that'd be the Big House.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:29 pm
ImHere

Nope -- that'd be the Big House.
Not...the big....house? :scared: