Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medicare Part B 2016

Medicare Part B 2016

Old Nov 7th 2015, 1:54 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare Part B 2016

Originally Posted by jjmb
I always read these threads as well aware that time in life is past approaching (58 now) and these threads although scary as hell, are informative. As it seems that there an increasing number of members coming up to retirement age, is there any chance of someone creating a wiki link on such subjects?
I've thought of this too. SS is fairly straightforward, but Medicare is unbelievably complex with endless variations. My experience is that a high proportion of Americans are ill equipped to have to make these complex choices (and, what is worse, have to revisit the choices every year.)
Old Nov 7th 2015, 7:40 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I've thought of this too. SS is fairly straightforward, but Medicare is unbelievably complex with endless variations. My experience is that a high proportion of Americans are ill equipped to have to make these complex choices (and, what is worse, have to revisit the choices every year.)
My primary care doctor makes it easy. They do not except basic medicare, only supplemental plans. Then only plans from 3 different sources.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 7:04 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes, I'm sorry, I looked at the invoice again, I now realise it is three months! And I now realise that $314.70 is exactly $104.90 times three! I really should use my reading glasses when looking at missives from the U.S. Government and such!
Revisiting this thread as I just received my first 2016 invoice -- the new rate is $121.80 per month, so a very manageable increase. I trust your wife's is the same?
Old Feb 9th 2016, 7:03 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Revisiting this thread as I just received my first 2016 invoice -- the new rate is $121.80 per month, so a very manageable increase. I trust your wife's is the same?
I'm not sure - she still lives in the U.S., I live in the UK, and right now we're in the Netherlands, visiting museums and going for long walks! So no paperwork handy, fortunately!
Old Nov 10th 2016, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

ComoLou is an unknown quantity at this point

Been searching for a forum to find out about Medicare. I file for SS shortly (at 66) and was asked whether I wanted to sign up for Medicare too. My husband (67) is still working and we have BC/BS health coverage through his employer. He has had heart surgery and but is doing fine.
OK so I admit I'm clueless. Some say we should have signed up for it already, but that we are fine on our BC/BS thing. On SS website they appear to show some options that you can buy through them. Or is it best to find an insurance broker who can sort things out for you independently? Are the Medicare premiums higher for people on a higher income? Should we wait until we are fully retired and on a lower income? Is it better to stick with what we have (the devil you know) or to just go with any plan for starters just to have something and change to another company the following year if we find a better plan?
Am I at the right forum to pose these questions? Is all the Medicare stuff more expensive than our high deductible BC/BS plan that is partially paid by the company? If you don't sign up at the right time I think it screws everything up.
One fear of mine is that were anything to happen to prevent him from working we could lose our employer health coverage and be stuck in no man's land. Can anyone help point me in the right direction please?
Sorry if I'm on the wrong page here. Thanks all.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 1:05 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

It is complicated by the fact your husband is working and gets health cover. If it were me I would speak with an independent broker and get advice. Even if medicare were the better option for you, which medicare plan is the best one for your circumstances and which medications you use is something which professional advice can help you through the minefield.

Last edited by lansbury; Nov 11th 2016 at 1:10 am.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 1:40 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Medicare.gov explains all the ins and outs. If you are still covered by insurance from an employer, I think you will find that it is a legitimate substitute for Part B and thus there will be no penalties.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 3:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Medicare.gov explains all the ins and outs. If you are still covered by insurance from an employer, I think you will find that it is a legitimate substitute for Part B and thus there will be no penalties.
This is correct. I was insured by healthcare from my husband's employer until I retired when I was 66 and although I was qualified for medicare at age 65, I didn't apply as I had other coverage. When I did apply at age 66 when I was ready to retire, I incur no penalty for not having applied at age 65.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

ComoLou is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your responses. It does seem to be very complicated and dependent on so many variables. I had been about to sign up with a company that fielded us by telephone but checking reviews suggested customer service was rubbish and some agents were actually fraudulent (not ideal). Also I think it's important to find something reliable and universally accepted.
I'm waiting for an independent agent to call me back now and will also contact someone we know and trust from our last state of residence to see if they can help us out.
Your comments are encouraging. I've often thought they system a probable minefield for people at a stage in life when they are not best equipped to deal with such complexities. Appreciate your input. Thanks all.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by ComoLou
Thanks for your responses. It does seem to be very complicated and dependent on so many variables. I had been about to sign up with a company that fielded us by telephone but checking reviews suggested customer service was rubbish and some agents were actually fraudulent (not ideal). Also I think it's important to find something reliable and universally accepted.
I'm waiting for an independent agent to call me back now and will also contact someone we know and trust from our last state of residence to see if they can help us out.
Your comments are encouraging. I've often thought they system a probable minefield for people at a stage in life when they are not best equipped to deal with such complexities. Appreciate your input. Thanks all.
Have you visited medicare.gov and plugged in all your information? The site helps you to sort through accredited providers and gives user feedback on their policies. And please, don't sign up with anyone who solicits over the telephone or via mail -- the top providers never do that in my experience.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:52 pm

My primary care doctors office has the details of a local agent on their web site who they recommend. I found them very good as they have a detailed knowledge of the local medicare advantage plans offered as well as a comprehensive list of eligible drugs for each provider.

A look at your doctors office web site might yield a similar recommendation. Another point to watch out for some doctors offices are now only accepting medicare patients who have an advantage plan, not basic medicare. As well as limiting which advantage plans they accept. You need to check what your doctor accepts.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 7:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me. We might be of retirement age but we are not mentally infirm
Old Nov 11th 2016, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Excuse me. We might be of retirement age but we are not mentally infirm
Old Nov 12th 2016, 7:52 am
Heading for Poppyland

You really have to understand all the options. Old school, I know, but the best way is to read this book, cover to cover, at least twice.

AARP’s Medicare For Dummies®, 2nd Edition Helps Readers Get the Most out of Medicare and Avoid Costly Pitfalls- AARP

Additionally, read AARP and Medicare's own information online. You are correct, it is really ridiculous that healthcare is fairly straightforward for people in their working years (since they usually have little choice) but it becomes a minefield of potential pitfalls when you are retired or over 65.