British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Medicare B Penalty if Return to US from Abroad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/medicare-b-penalty-if-return-us-abroad-929819/)

stickinthemud Dec 14th 2019 7:10 pm

Medicare B Penalty if Return to US from Abroad

Hello,

My husband and I plan to move from the US to the UK for an indefinite period. We are both over 65 and now enrolled in Medicare A & B, plus we have a Medigap plan.
I have read that if we decide to move back to the US, after some years, and have not been paying the Medicare B premium all that time, that we MAY face a 10% per year away penalty added to our B premium.....for a lifetime.

Does this penalty always apply? Can it be avoided? If we can prove we had "credible coverage" with NHS coverage in the UK the whole time we were away, would that allow us to avoid the penalty? It seems grossly unjust to penalize us so, just for being out of the country for a few years.

Many thanks! Sheryl

SanDiegogirl Dec 14th 2019 9:29 pm

Re: Medicare B Penalty if Return to US from Abroad

Medicare is an insurance policy..... if you join the insurance pool later in life your premiums are higher.

So, if you don't continue your premiums, when you re-join you re-join at the higher premium

It's not unfair.... if the rest of the pool has been paying for 10 years while you are away, they should not have to subsidise you when you decide to return.

Don't know of any waiver for voluntarily stopping paying in.

robin1234 Dec 15th 2019 8:01 am

Originally Posted by stickinthemud (Post 12778869)
Hello,

My husband and I plan to move from the US to the UK for an indefinite period. We are both over 65 and now enrolled in Medicare A & B, plus we have a Medigap plan.
I have read that if we decide to move back to the US, after some years, and have not been paying the Medicare B premium all that time, that we MAY face a 10% per year away penalty added to our B premium.....for a lifetime.

Does this penalty always apply? Can it be avoided? If we can prove we had "credible coverage" with NHS coverage in the UK the whole time we were away, would that allow us to avoid the penalty? It seems grossly unjust to penalize us so, just for being out of the country for a few years.

Many thanks! Sheryl

You simply need to make a calculation or judgment call, and either continue to pay your Part B monthly premium, or cease paying for the time being.

Criteria would include;
Will you ever return to USA long term, to live there?
Approx how many years will you be away from USA?
While abroad, will you visit USA on holidays, etc?

I’m 69, so I’ve been paying my Part B for nearly five years, and I’ve never once sought medical care in the US in that time. I still think that keeping up my Medicare premiums is money well spent, though.

stickinthemud Dec 18th 2019 10:09 pm

Thank you both so much. Interesting Robin1234 that you continue to pay after 5 years. It is no small sum. We will indeed have to do a calculation.

And SanDiegoGirl. I see your point. Of course we will be not only paying higher premiums, but also a penalty for life on top of the higher premiums when we return. People who join for the first time at that point only have to pay higher premiums.

But still, I see some justice in what you say, assuming that the premiums in any one year never really cover the real cost of the medical needs in any one year, and so previous premiums are needed to make up for it. Or something like that!! Thank you, again.

vespucci Dec 19th 2019 4:14 am

Originally Posted by stickinthemud (Post 12780463)
Or something like that!!

I don't quite understand it either. You didn't get your subsidy so now you get a smaller subsidy?

robin1234 Dec 19th 2019 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by stickinthemud (Post 12780463)
Thank you both so much. Interesting Robin1234 that you continue to pay after 5 years. It is no small sum. We will indeed have to do a calculation.

And SanDiegoGirl. I see your point. Of course we will be not only paying higher premiums, but also a penalty for life on top of the higher premiums when we return. People who join for the first time at that point only have to pay higher premiums.

But still, I see some justice in what you say, assuming that the premiums in any one year never really cover the real cost of the medical needs in any one year, and so previous premiums are needed to make up for it. Or something like that!! Thank you, again.

Well, I spend time in the US. Having a high-deductible Medicare Advantage plan means that I’m covered, if and when I choose to go the doctor or whatever - or if I have a major accident or illness. And, when I’m older and essentially have to choose (if I’m fortunate enough to be able to choose) where to spend 100% of my remaining time, I’m covered if I choose the United States.

Giantaxe Dec 19th 2019 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12780643)

Well, I spend time in the US. Having a high-deductible Medicare Advantage plan means that I’m covered, if and when I choose to go the doctor or whatever - or if I have a major accident or illness. And, when I’m older and essentially have to choose (if I’m fortunate enough to be able to choose) where to spend 100% of my remaining time, I’m covered if I choose the United States.

This is going to be my strategy moving forward: high deductible, relatively low cost Advantage plan that covers the bases and can be changed to a lower deductible Advantage plan if that's the way the cookies crumble down the road.

civilservant Dec 20th 2019 11:23 am

Involving insurance companies in healthcare decisions about benefits that you are guaranteed under traditional Medicare is a terrible idea. I see it every single day.

Giantaxe Dec 20th 2019 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12780917)
Involving insurance companies in healthcare decisions about benefits that you are guaranteed under traditional Medicare is a terrible idea. I see it every single day.

The equation becomes a little different if you're living abroad for some or all of the year.