Medicare

Old Feb 25th 2012, 4:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It depends whether we're talking about the cost to the individual of dying, or the cost to Medicare. This article says Medicare spends $50 billion for care in the last two months of a patient's life:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18560_162-5711689.html

I've also seen a figure that over a quarter of Medicare's budget - which translates to about $80 billion - goes on care for the last year of life.

I've no idea how this translates into per-individual costs to Medicare, or how much of the tab the individual themselves picks up.
Two comments;
First, this is why Hospice is such a good idea. Good for public policy, because final costs are very much contained. Good for the individual, because (in many circumstances) one can die at home with a good level of care, pain management and retain dignity etc.
Second, I believe the whole idea of Part A + Part B + Part D + "Medigap" insurance is that the individual Medicare participant has no, or very minor, additional out-of-pocket expenses.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by robin1234
No, when I gave a ballpark estimate of $12,000, I was including the "medigap" premium. Here is a back-of-the-envelope breakdown, the Part D & the Medigap are just high guesses..

Part A premium - $5,412
Part B premium - $1,200
Part D premium - $600
"Medigap" premium - $4,000
TOTAL ---- $11,212
Good advice and breakdown. Also your $6k a year estimate, that was what my research pointed to for someone without major medical conditions.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by SATX John
Found this tonight, will update after talking to the TRICARE Office. They do cover parents in law, if they are eligible as dependents in the system. This maybe the way to go. MTF. It is still current, but I will look at qualificatons.
http://voices.yahoo.com/does-tricare...501.html?cat=5
Of course this is military related, not public.

THX
As I have found out this is very difficult, like many of you have said. Must provide 51% of support to a parent/ in law. Doable for some, but if they have good corporate retirement then not so much. The budgeting guidance from earlier is very good and outlines a lot of the problem.

The search for viable Green Card Health Care in the US continues....

If it were easy everyone would do it.