Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

Old May 6th 2010, 7:41 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
He was hoping to get elective surgery in the US paid for by his travel insurance.
Travel Insurance, even if there was a covered illness while abroad would probably just pay to have him repatriated back to the UK asap anyhow.
Old May 12th 2010, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bowenaj37
I may be going to chicago and I might desire to have surgery for a condition when I am there. I would be on VWP
How is this urgent?!
Old May 12th 2010, 3:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
How is this urgent?!
He's already said in posts #9/11/15.
Old May 12th 2010, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Obama's healthcare plan wont be active for years, its not like turning on a lightswitch, things move slow here.

No British travel insurance will cover you, they have ways of checking for pre-exiting problems, youd be billed by them.

No American insurance company will insure you, you dont live here and have no SS number etc, you have no idea how our system works, the hoops we have to jump through, even if you were offered coverage they could and most likely would deny the claim, Ive seen it many times,
these insurance companies didnt get wealthy by being dumb, these insurance people are smarter than you think.

Even if you got coverage you would have deductables and co pays... hahhaaaaaaa you havent a clue how good you have it over in the UK.

The Hospital would have you sign your life away like we always do before seeing a doctor, meaning if the Insurance doesnt pay you will have too personally, we sign paperwork for this all time. THEY WANT THEIR MONEY.
Chances are you would have to use your credit card as a guarantee, maybe more than one card. Some sign you up with finance companies fo credit.

Id find a doctor in the Uk to do it and I know it would be much cheaper.

Heck take your girlfriend on a trip to Mexico and get it done on the cheap.

Done here with insurance your little surgery will still cost you thousands. $$$$
Old May 13th 2010, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I worked in the UK for two months last year and ended up going to see a doctor the first week I was there. They saw me the day I called for an appointment, even though I wasn't a registered patient at that surgery. I was actually kind of surprised after having been subjected to a constant stream of anti "socialized healthcare" propaganda here.
Propaganda is exactly right, and people here buy into this CRAP, Americans are so used to be conned by the media and politicians, it just shows how much money they are making and stand to lose if we ever get a one payer system.

Id love to know how much that Doctors appointment in the UK cost you.
Old May 13th 2010, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Id love to know how much that Doctors appointment in the UK cost you.
If it was NHS, then at source it would have been free, ignoring if a prescription was filled.

Obviously the cost to the user would the NI payments collected when the user was working in the UK.
Old May 13th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by srefre
If it was NHS, then at source it would have been free, ignoring if a prescription was filled.

Obviously the cost to the user would the NI payments collected when the user was working in the UK.
Thankyou and I agree, but I really wanted to hear it from Giantaxe.
Old May 13th 2010, 12:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srefre

The NHS doctor should have charged the patient if they are not a UK resident whether they've paid UK taxes in the past or are still doing so. Only UK residents are entitled to free NHS care at the point of service. AFAIK only emergency A&E hospital treatment is free for non UK residents. The doctor probably assumed that a person with a British accent is a UK resident.

BTW NI payments do not pay for the NHS...National Insurance pays for social services, unemployment, pension, child benefits etc. The NHS is paid for by income taxes.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:13 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS doctor should have charged the patient if they are not a UK resident whether they've paid UK taxes in the past or are still doing so. Only UK residents are entitled to free NHS care at the point of service. AFAIK only emergency A&E hospital treatment is free for non UK residents. The doctor probably assumed that a person with a British accent is a UK resident.

BTW NI payments do not pay for the NHS...National Insurance pays for social services, unemployment, pension, child benefits etc. The NHS is paid for by income taxes.
Actually...

My son is a British Citizen and NOT a UK resident. Over Christmas while we visited his grandparents, we had cause to take him to the doctor because his special-needs infant formula we'd brought with us form the USA was out of date, and is only available on prescription. In order for our American insurance company to fill a new prescription and process our claim in the USA(it was their fault it was out of date), they needed us to take him to a doctor in the UK.

We were seen immediately - as soon as we walked through the door, with no appointment. A prescription was issued for NO CHARGE, and we took it to the local pharmacy to be filled.

Apparently infants are always covered under the NHS - no matter what their residency is. If he'd been older, he would have also been covered because, oddly enough, he was staying with his grandparents, who are taxpayers. I didn't believe this myself, but according to the people who processed our claim, it's true.

So yeah. Infants are always covered. It's nice to know.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by gingerert
Actually...

My son is a British Citizen and NOT a UK resident. Over Christmas while we visited his grandparents, we had cause to take him to the doctor because his special-needs infant formula we'd brought with us form the USA was out of date, and is only available on prescription. In order for our American insurance company to fill a new prescription and process our claim in the USA(it was their fault it was out of date), they needed us to take him to a doctor in the UK.

We were seen immediately - as soon as we walked through the door, with no appointment. A prescription was issued for NO CHARGE, and we took it to the local pharmacy to be filled.

Apparently infants are always covered under the NHS - no matter what their residency is. If he'd been older, he would have also been covered because, oddly enough, he was staying with his grandparents, who are taxpayers. I didn't believe this myself, but according to the people who processed our claim, it's true.

So yeah. Infants are always covered. It's nice to know.
Interesting...I've never read anything about children who are UK citizens but not UK residents on the NHS website. I can't imagine any doctor refusing to treat a child because of cost.
Old May 13th 2010, 2:05 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting...I've never read anything about children who are UK citizens but not UK residents on the NHS website. I can't imagine any doctor refusing to treat a child because of cost.
I know, right? I didn't believe it either, but I didn't hand any money over and was told the same thing at both the doctor and the pharmacy.
Old May 13th 2010, 2:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by gingerert
I know, right? I didn't believe it either, but I didn't hand any money over and was told the same thing at both the doctor and the pharmacy.
I think I'll write and ask for written confirmation because I think it will be helpful for other BE expats. Takes about 3 weeks for a reply.
Old May 13th 2010, 2:16 pm
Banned

Ozone Park will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bowenaj37
I may be going to chicago and I might desire to have surgery for a condition when I am there. I would be on VWP

Can I purchase health insurance from a U.S based insurance company when in the U.S on the VWP I know obama's healthcare bill doesn't extend to illegials but I would be on the VWP

If a medical bill were to go unpaid because the travel insurance refused to pay and the person an adult me 28 years of age couldn't pay - I have access to money but am uncertain of the cost - would the hospital move to seize my parents house for the payment I live with my parents at the moment bearing in mind I am an adult under the law in both U.S and UK ? Would a warrant be issued for my arrest would the police attempt to track me down. I am not suggesting skipping out on the bill on purpose but if went unpaid would law enforcement become involved?
I haven't read this entire thread but medical bills in the U.S. are routinely written off by hospitals. They will not seize property, lol. If they did Hospitals would own the bloody county
Old May 13th 2010, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Jengreg is an unknown quantity at this point

actually Hospitals will pursue most bills over $300. Anything under $300 will not be put out for collection. Outstanding hospital bills cannot form part of your credit rating.
Old May 13th 2010, 2:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Jengreg
actually Hospitals will pursue most bills over $300. Anything under $300 will not be put out for collection. Outstanding hospital bills cannot form part of your credit rating.
Which post are you answering? It is helpful if you press the quote button at the bottom of the post you are answering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.