Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

Old May 15th 2010, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Treatment U.S insurance, bills urgent!!

[QUOTE=Duncan Roberts;8565238]Have you got stats to prove that? I know for a fact that the top 2 at BUPA get paid about £3 a year between them. You may also need to go back and look at the different countries and how their systems actually work. They all use some form of insurance, a lot use private insurance companies as part of the universal system, some use private insurance outside the universal system and some of them don't cover the whole population or cover them at significantly less than 100% of bill.

Stats, Huhhhhh you go research wellpoint and others if you wish, the info is out there, I know people that work for the HNS dont get paid 10 million dollars a year, not even close.

Who said anything about Bupa, thats an Insurance based system, we were talking about the NHS, funny how you put that in.
Old May 15th 2010, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Have you got stats to prove that? I know for a fact that the top 2 at BUPA get paid about £3 a year between them. You may also need to go back and look at the different countries and how their systems actually work. They all use some form of insurance, a lot use private insurance companies as part of the universal system, some use private insurance outside the universal system and some of them don't cover the whole population or cover them at significantly less than 100% of bill.

As for the other countries having some sort of universal system so the US should be able to do it easily, look at the population of those countries when they started their plans and the problems they have had as the population grows and then look at the population of the US. Starting a completely new system for 310,000,000 is extremely complicated and with a projected growth of 30,000,000 (which is about half the entire UK population) in 10 years, it's massively complex.

O.K. so its a big job, but we arent talking about doing it overnight, and its not like we at retraining Doctors to perform surgery, we are talking about changing the way people are billed and the way Drs are paid.

We are taking about trimming the wasted money and getting 100% coverage without the risk of bankruptcy, Im not asking Drs or Nurses to work for less.
Old May 15th 2010, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, the access is generally not tied to the company. I think Germany has a system where it can partially be but not mandated.

My example of the NHS is that national insurance pays a part and the employee contribution is only 50% of the premium, the employer picks up the remaining 50%. So when a company gives a raise they are giving the raise money plus the additional NI on that increase.

I understand your point, but who cares about raises, thats a different issue, and so what if you pay more in NI, if you earn more you pay more thats how it works, or would you preffer not to get a raise?

Insurance premiums go up in the USA every year and plans change so whats the difference in your pocket at the end of the day?.

Again I see nobody in the UK wanting our system, that should tell you something.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

It's not the portion that matters, just the fact that it is a cost to employers and it's not this magical free system that nobody pays for that a lot of people say.

Hahhahahaaaaaa its not a magical free system that nobody pays for that a lot of people say.
Well some people believe in Santa but it doesn't make it true, People are clueless about a lot of things, maybe its American people you tell you this, Brits know its costs real money that is stopped out of your wages in a form of a tax, and that's not a bad deal in my eyes.

FREE! there is no such thing as free, we as humans pay for everything in one way or another.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MsElui
also bear in mind that the NI contributiuon has an upper cap -= so once the employee is paid over that amount the NI payments dont go up any more.
Exactly Right... Thankyou
Old May 15th 2010, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I can't remember anyone saying it was 'free', but that really isn't the point is it? How many people do you know that have gone bankrupt in the UK from medical bills?

UK residents can obviously afford to pay the contributions to the NHS, nobody I know would move to the US to get better/cheaper health care, yet there are plenty of people (read the MBTTUK forum) that are going home to the UK because they cannot afford to stay here once they start to need more and more medical help.

Exactly right.

Its not just a case of needing more help, its a case of how lucky do you feel today, because if you get Very sick, even if you have healthcare insurance you may be put into bankruptcy, at 55 or 60 you could lose everything you've worked for and at that age you'd have no chance to recuperate such a financial loss, you could lose your home and much more, your credit rating would be bad so any purchases would be at high rates of interest, lets not even talk about all the stress that comes with this situation, and the poor health resulting from that, this happens to people everyday, its just sad.

And when you've collected your limit from an Insurance company, they dump you, that doesn't happen in the UK either.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

I am very well aware of the shortcomings of the US system. The $10,000+ a year just for me to stay alive would cause major problems should I ever lose my health insurance. I also don't have access to things that would make it easier for me because I can't afford them, even with insurance. You have to look at the good and the bad of the system and how it really works before coming up with a solution. I've been slowly researching it for 5 years but I still don't understand most of it.

I hope you dont lose your insurance but it happens to many
people, at that point Im sure you'd be happy to have a system like the NHS, and then again you seem to be so against it, so maybe you would sooner struggle.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
But there are systems in place for all these things that have been built up over the years; the complication is in setting up an immense totally new system, which will be looked at more critically and by more people than most new highways, from scratch.

Its all about paperwork, changing billing adresses and paying Drs for their services, its do able, yes it would take time and effort, but most things do.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; May 15th 2010 at 9:35 am. Reason: double post
Old May 15th 2010, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The US's spending priorities are undoubtedly misguided (and we never hear these teabag people wanting to cut military spending, of course...) but that's only one part of the puzzle. The bottom line is that the US spends a far bigger proportion of its GDP on healthcare (16%) than any other western nation, and yet still leaves a good chunk of its population outside of the "system".
Again Giantaxe you are so right.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Have you really thought about that? What would you do with all the direct health insurance industry employees and all of the employees of other services that revolve around the health insurance industry who would be out of jobs? There won't be enough to go around with those and all the defense industry jobs you say should be cut.

Insurance is just one part of the healthcare industry. The industry doesn't just revolve around hospitals/doctors and insurance companies, it pretty much touches every single industry in the country.

Life isnt fair and nobody promised me a job for life, its like when W-mart comes into town, some businesses close and people find other work, it would be the same for them.

Banks do take overs and lay people off so why is this any different.

Maybe some Insurance companies would stay in business trying to offer a premium sevice like Bupa does in the UK.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes we do evolve. However today is very different to the times when the light bulb was invented or the automobile came along, you can't dump that many people out of jobs and expect it to be OK. If you think about all the services that revolve around keeping the healthcare industry going you are talking about millions and millions of people. If you are going to displace a massive chunk of them you need to have a plan to handle the massive loss of tax revenue, the massive reduction in consumer spending, the massive increase in welfare claims, etc. Pretty much, what would you do if the unemployment rate double practically overnight? Just the revenue in lost taxes would likely eat up the money you saved from defense cuts.

We arent saying fire everyone, most people would still need to perform their jobs.
Old May 15th 2010, 2:34 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
So your answer to this problem is its too difficult so why even bother trying, We can send men to the moon and spend billions on wars but we cant sort out healthcare billing, maybe it would be simpler to turn back the clock 60 years, Whatever happened to Americans can do attitude?

If you have a negative attitude you'l never accomplish anything.
How on earth could you construe my comment as "why even bother trying"? I was responding to the idea that the big changeover was a simple thing to accomplish, with my strong feeling that it will be a very hard thing to accomplish. Nowhere have I said that it shouldn't be attempted -- I am all for it, but I see what a hard slog it will be. There is a big difference between being negative and being aware of the immense difficulty of the path ahead.
Old May 15th 2010, 2:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Its all about paperwork, changing billing adresses and paying Drs for their services, its do able, yes it would take time and effort, but most things do.
Again, that was the context of my post -- that it would be a slow process that wouldn't happen overnight!
Old May 15th 2010, 2:51 pm
Banned

Ozone Park will become famous soon enough

The anti universal health care crowd can't express the real reasons they oppose it because they would appear as self centered, bigoted, elitists. So they come up with this nonsense. Are we to believe that Nutmeg and Ian are not concerned about people in their communities dying of untreated cancers, but they are concerned about them having to change jobs?

I'm afraid racism is playing an extraordinarily unfortunate role in all of this.

Last edited by Ozone Park; May 15th 2010 at 2:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.