British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Medical Stuff (Pertaining to Affidavit Of Support) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/medical-stuff-pertaining-affidavit-support-693645/)

StephieFaith83 Nov 15th 2010 5:44 pm

Medical Stuff (Pertaining to Affidavit Of Support)

Hey guys,

I recently injured my hand/wrist and I'm looking for some advice really.

At first I tried to brush it off and work through the pain as I don't have any health insurance here yet. I waiting until I become eligible for it through my job.

Anyways, the pain wasn't going away so I decided to go to an Immediate Care place. They did X-rays and told me that my wrist was fractured. I'd already paid $230 up front for them just to see me and they wanted another $500+ to put it in a cast. I declined, went home with it in a brace. Work needed a note from the Doctor explaining what I could/couldn't do at work... So I called the place back explaining that I needed this, they said that because they referred me to an Orthopedic Doctor, that I was no longer under their care and they couldn't do it. This Orthopedic place wanted another $250 just to see me.

I wound up calling around and our local hospital they put me through the the Financial Services place. They explained that they offer discounts for people that don't have insurance based on their income.

To cut a long and boring story short, I ended up having to have X-Rays and a CAT scan to find out what was wrong. It wasn't fractured at all, I got mis-diagnosed and because of their (Immediate Care) crappy treatment I wound up having to pay a ton more than I would have if they'd diagnosed it right in the first place.

The bill from the hospital is likely going to run into the thousands, if we take the discount based on our income (it's not Medicaid or anything, just something the hospital does) is it going to affect anything with regards to my Immigration Status? I'm a LPR and will be removing conditions in 2012.

I've tried reading and researching for the answers but everything seems so ambiguous.

Thanks in advance.

fatbrit Nov 15th 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Medical Stuff (Pertaining to Affidavit Of Support)

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 8983531)
I recently injured my hand/wrist and I'm looking for some advice really

Did you injure your wrist WHILE you were at work?

StephieFaith83 Nov 15th 2010 5:52 pm

I did not, I did it at home.

fatbrit Nov 15th 2010 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 8983543)
I did not, I did it at home.

Pity! That would have solved the "who's paying" issue.

The good news is that it won't affect your immigration status one iota. The bad news is that you'll never shake the bill collectors off until they've had their last penny.

StephieFaith83 Nov 15th 2010 5:57 pm

Well apparently we get 80% off the bill according to the income guidelines.

I do have a Joint Sponsor though and just didn't want this coming back to bite us in the ass down the line.

fatbrit Nov 15th 2010 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 8983558)
Well apparently we get 80% off the bill according to the income guidelines.

I do have a Joint Sponsor though and just didn't want this coming back to bite us in the ass down the line.

80% off some random figure they make up is still usually quite a bit -- but better than nothing.

When they've finally made up the 20% figure, query everything on it at least 3 times. Then offer to pay it off at $X a pay check with no interest. They love playing silly games--it's their raison d'etre--so don't disappoint them!

As for the first lot of quacks, I'd file a suit for whatever I paid in small claims court. They'll probably just cut you a check rather than try to fight it. And if they don't, it'll be a fun day out for whatever the piddling small claims fee is.

StephieFaith83 Nov 15th 2010 6:31 pm

Thanks, I have officially filed a complaint with the first place I went to. I was furious, and I was met with some really stupid replies. I was told that they tend to over-diagnose people because the doctors aren't radiologists. I was like well if you're offering an X-Ray service you should at least have the necessary qualified staff to read the chuffin things! I'm like a terrier with a bone with stuff like this, I won't give up...

Just waiting on the actual bill from the 2nd hospital visit, to be fair they were extremely good to me and accommodating.

With regards to this whole 'Public Charge' and the Joint Sponsor being made to pay stuff back... Is this only in the case of Government Benefits?

I'm really confused. I also get discounted Birth Control from Planned Parenthood based on my income.

fatbrit Nov 15th 2010 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 8983625)
Thanks, I have officially filed a complaint with the first place I went to. I was furious, and I was met with some really stupid replies. I was told that they tend to over-diagnose people because the doctors aren't radiologists. I was like well if you're offering an X-Ray service you should at least have the necessary qualified staff to read the chuffin things! I'm like a terrier with a bone with stuff like this, I won't give up...

Just waiting on the actual bill from the 2nd hospital visit, to be fair they were extremely good to me and accommodating.

With regards to this whole 'Public Charge' and the Joint Sponsor being made to pay stuff back... Is this only in the case of Government Benefits?

I'm really confused. I also get discounted Birth Control from Planned Parenthood based on my income.

You're fine. Stop worrying! If you go through the playing about with them and eventually get a bill that you eventually pay, the feds won't have paid anything out on your personal behalf and the sponsors won't get the bill.

Same with the PP stuff. My wife still uses PP and pays the full cost -- which ain't that much. She's far from needing any government subsidy. (In fact, looking at her last tax payment, I think she subsidises them rather than they her!) But she prefers the docs in our local PP.

Rete Nov 15th 2010 6:48 pm

A discounted hospital bill is not a means tested benefit. See what they offer you and if you can afford to pay a lump sum payment, offer them a lower payment at one time for a bill marked paid in full.

StephieFaith83 Nov 15th 2010 6:58 pm

They have a table with a Federal Poverty Level and showing all of the different discount percentages and incomes. They call it their 'Financial Assistance Program' which is what made me think it was something to worry about. But yes, in the end all they do is take money off our bill based on not having any insurance and our income.

fatbrit Nov 15th 2010 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 8983675)
They have a table with a Federal Poverty Level and showing all of the different discount percentages and incomes. They call it their 'Financial Assistance Program' which is what made me think it was something to worry about. But yes, in the end all they do is take money off our bill based on not having any insurance and our income.

In all my years on BE, I don't think I remember the issue of anyone actually having to pay up on the affidavit of support.

There was a case on here years back where someone managed to get alimony of their husband at the 125% of federal poverty guidelines using the document. And there's been a rather silly couple recently who've used it as a form of public sado-masochistic role playing. But most of the queries are how to qualify for it rather than the distress of having to pay up for it. My conclusion is that it's pretty unusual for the feds to collect. And in your case as given, they've got no claim to pursue against your sponsors anyway.

StephieFaith83 Nov 15th 2010 10:14 pm

I have another question too.

Prior to me moving over here my husband applied for HEAP during the winter to help with heating bills. We're in Buffalo and it gets freezing, especially with the snow.

It's time to apply again and I looked over their website and I am classed as a Qualified Alien which means we can both apply.

I'm just again worried that it's something that's going to have a negative impact on us in the future.

http://otda.ny.gov/main/programs/heap/

Any advice?

Rete Nov 15th 2010 10:34 pm

Go for it. It is not on the list of means tested benefits.

StephieFaith83 Nov 15th 2010 10:35 pm

Thanks Rete.

Do you happen to have a list of the Means Tested Benefits that I would not be able to apply for? Just so I don't have to ask these questions in future. Obviously I know about SSI and Medicaid etc etc.

Rete Nov 15th 2010 11:13 pm

Its on the USCIS website.

Here you go

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864p.pdf