Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Stuff for Babies/credit score stuff

Medical Stuff for Babies/credit score stuff

Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Stuff for Babies/credit score stuff

Also note that they don't usually take your gross income but your net income after expenses. The hospital will sort things out for you. I recall when DD gave birth at a hospital in LV they didn't have healthcare insurance either. The hospital social worker sent up the forms for them to complete for medicaid and for state care, both of which they declined to complete. They had the funds to pay cash on the line and as a result of that the hospital did give them a large discount for paying in that manner. Subsequent births were with a midwife at home and the costs were negliable.

Also the hospital will do the birth certificate filing and that of the social security application. In many states you don't have to pay to get the BC. It should be sent to you automatically. Double check that for your state.

The hospital will do it can to assist you with the bill. Even it is only $25 a month payment, it should be accepted without it being sent to a collection agency.

Wishing you a speedy and safe delivery.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix

Is there anyway you could get added to a group plan of some sort (sometimes clubs and associations offer group discounts). A number of independent computer programs get a 'group' plan from the International Game Developers Association (i.e the guys who write video games). There are other groups like this you might consider.

http://www.igda.org/board-blog/igda-...thcare-program
IGDA would be a good idea as currently, they don't screen membership, $50 and your in for the year. The rates you get might not be cheap though, but they are part of a group rate so they'll let pre-existing stuff in.

They don't cover about 7 or 8 states though, but I think most of those are in the New England area.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

I will have a look into the IGDA but im not sure what to think (or even if i understand what it is).

My main plan of attack with the hospital bill is:
*to ask for a complete list of all the expenses, go through it with a fine comb and pick out the extra bits and pieces, that I have a feeling they add on regardless, and that I probably didnt use.
*Once thats all done I will call the billing services part of the hospital and have the bill added to my account and Financial Aid will look it over and decide what if any they will cover.
*Then when the final bill comes through in the mail I will call them again and work out a payment plan with them.

I think that sounds like a fesible and doable plan of action. So im going to google and find ways to cut hospital bills down and see if theres any decent tips and suggestions out there.

after all this the next step is to see if the baby is eligible for medicaid or whatever the hell its call or seeing if getting some kind of health insurance for me AND the baby is worth it.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
I will have a look into the IGDA but im not sure what to think (or even if i understand what it is).
Think of it like the screen actors guild, BECTU, etc, etc, but not an actual union, or having any teeth.

The only thing they really offer their members, in the US at least, is a group rate health insurance through their local network of brokers.