British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Medical School (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/medical-school-317713/)

Wicked Jester Aug 2nd 2005 6:45 pm

Medical School

Does anybody have any idea about studying medicine in the US?

I am halfway through my greencard application through the diversity visa program, and have decided to go back to school to study medicine.

I would presume that visa application process would take me through to the end of the next academic year anyway, but I don't think I could do a year in med school here and then pick it up in the US.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

fatbrit Aug 2nd 2005 6:59 pm

Re: Medical School

Getting in -- assume you've got a BSc in a suitable medical-type subject (e.g. Biology) already? If not, this could be a problem...

$$$ -- find out when you're going to be eligible for a student loan on a GC. We're talking 6 figures here.

Bob Aug 2nd 2005 7:02 pm

Well if you got the greencard, you wouldn't need a student visa...not sure if student visa is dual intent, if it isn't, could be hassle getting it with greencard in the works, I don't know, but there is a visa forum to ask those questions.

As for studying, it'll cost you far more in the US studying than in the UK...

AdobePinon Aug 2nd 2005 7:15 pm

Like fatbrit says, you need an undergrad degree first. Med school is a graduate program in the US. You need very good grades to get in. You will probably need to find some way of taking the MCAT test. You need a very good score on that too.

And bags of cash. Plan on $50,000 - $60,000 per year as a non-resident student for tuition and living expenses. Your GC, should it come through first, will likely NOT make you a resident for the purposes of tuition and fees, but that may vary from state to state, and school to school. Subtract about $10,000 to $30,000 per year should you make resident status.

Wicked Jester Aug 2nd 2005 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
As for studying, it'll cost you far more in the US studying than in the UK...

Yep that of course is the other side of the coin, I know that from year 2 the DOH here provides funding for students.

I'm a mature (sounds friggin terrible) student and have one of those "I've always wanted to do it and if I don't do it now I'll never do it" type things.

The crossroad of course is that I really, really want to move to the US, although I suppose the country ain't going anywhere!

Wicked Jester Aug 2nd 2005 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Like fatbrit says, you need an undergrad degree first. Med school is a graduate program in the US. You need very good grades to get in. You will probably need to find some way of taking the MCAT test. You need a very good score on that too.

Well I've been making preliminary contact with some schools here in Blighty, who offer a postgraduate entry route. I have been involved in teaching Docs & allied medical professionals for about 5 years now. MCAT is not a problem per se' as I believe it can be done online?

The more I type here, the more I think I should just bite the bullet here for the next 6 years and then resume the plan to come to the US.

fatbrit Aug 2nd 2005 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Wicked Jester
Well I've been making preliminary contact with some schools here in Blighty, who offer a postgraduate entry route. I have been involved in teaching Docs & allied medical professionals for about 5 years now. MCAT is not a problem per se' as I believe it can be done online?

The more I type here, the more I think I should just bite the bullet here for the next 6 years and then resume the plan to come to the US.

You'll not find an easier route than a DV! Pity to throw it away...

Wicked Jester Aug 2nd 2005 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You'll not find an easier route than a DV! Pity to throw it away...

yep I know, i just wonder if I'll get the opportunity to reapply if I am granted it. It's such a pity about the "must travel to the US in 6 months" clause.

Well nothing's cast in stone yet!

NC Penguin Aug 2nd 2005 11:10 pm

Does anybody have any idea about studying medicine in the US?

I am halfway through my greencard application through the diversity visa program, and have decided to go back to school to study medicine.

I would presume that visa application process would take me through to the end of the next academic year anyway, but I don't think I could do a year in med school here and then pick it up in the US.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

The application process for medical school takes about 18 months from what I've heard. i.e. from the date of application to the first day of med school itself.

NC Penguin

fatbrit Aug 2nd 2005 11:20 pm

yep I know, i just wonder if I'll get the opportunity to reapply if I am granted it. It's such a pity about the "must travel to the US in 6 months" clause.

Well nothing's cast in stone yet!

You free and single or otherwise? If the former, stop procrastinating, get over, and get started. If the latter, I'd plan it carefully. With the time apps take over here, you'll be waiting anyway. Or why not do a paramedic or nursing-type course instead?

AdobePinon Aug 3rd 2005 6:26 am

Another option worth looking into is to find non-US schools that have programs certified in the US. It *might* be possible then to start the program outside the US, and finish it in the US at the appropriate affiliated school. Note the stress on *might*.

Fig Newton Aug 3rd 2005 6:45 am

The crossroad of course is that I really, really want to move to the US, although I suppose the country ain't going anywhere!

If the country "ain't going anywhere" then why waste your time coming here?

Wicked Jester Aug 3rd 2005 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
If the country "ain't going anywhere" then why waste your time coming here?

Semantics?

In context: It'll still be there when I'm finished.

Wicked Jester Aug 3rd 2005 8:27 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You free and single or otherwise? If the former, stop procrastinating, get over, and get started. If the latter, I'd plan it carefully. With the time apps take over here, you'll be waiting anyway. Or why not do a paramedic or nursing-type course instead?

The latter, which is another consideration when thinking about setting up a new home, school for the kids and starting med school in a new country. Not impossible, but highly pressured.

Financially it makes sense to do it here first, so I'm going ahead with applications etc.

My backround is paramedical anyway, I've evacuated and repatriated patients around the globe, but for the past 5 years been really involved in the continuing professional development arena with medical and nursing personnel.

Fig Newton Aug 3rd 2005 8:28 am

Semantics?

In context: It'll still be there when I'm finished.

Seemed more like a rather poor attitude of the place you wish to come study and live in.