Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Records Question

Medical Records Question

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Records Question

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As far as I am aware in Ontario your OHIP card contains all your medical records. When you go to a hospital or doctor your OHIP card is swiped...thus bringing up all the info.
Dunno how Ontario works, I was in BC and I just know there that the hospital has access to records for treatment done in the hospital, as well as access to see what medications you have been prescribed based on when you got them from the pharmacy, as well as diagnostic codes for billing, but records from a GP for example wont generally be available to the hospital unless the GP send over a copy.

Even mental health didn't have access to my medical records from my psychiatrist and I had to request my psychiatrist to send my records to them so they could review them.

I will add that BC is slowly going towards and building a system where medical records will all be electronic and such, but as of today, its a patchwork system with some doctors using electronic records, and others just paper charting and filing still.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 3rd 2012 at 8:32 pm.