Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical insurance for visitors to the US from the Uk

Medical insurance for visitors to the US from the Uk

Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Phoenixsuns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical insurance for visitors to the US from the Uk

Hi does anyone know of a company that will insure 80 plus coming to visit here in the US? My mother who is 88 has found a Uk company that will insure here with predefined medical history but it is about £2000 for a month!
Any advice would be welcome as we would love her to visit more often?

Thank you
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical insurance for visitors to the US from the Uk

My Mom is 70 and gets hers from her pension providers, (I think it's the police one) but she's had some medical insurance from somewhere else too, I'll email her and ask.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good that she has found one, which one? Pre existing conditions? Saga is the obvious, Help the Aged may help and there is another, decrepitude does not allow me to remember.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My mother got her insurance through the post office, she's 71 and it cost her £25 for a week I think, but I think that's because she also has other insurance things through them.

Saying that, I could be thinking of Barclays, it's one or the other.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

She got back to me and said she got it one year through the bank, they wanted a list of all medications etc.
Then another year she used Age concern, they are online with a phone number to call and get the insurance.
Hope that helps, she's never paid that much and she has had cancer twice.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure my Mum does hers through Barclays, but she's only 68 with no pre existing medical conditions
Old Mar 27th 2009, 3:10 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Once you hit 80 it gets harder and harder and more and more expensive.

My parents are 84 and 82 and are coming in June. My dad just got his annual policy renewed. I will find out where he got his insurance, at what price and let you know.

alex.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of years ago, I heard on Moneybox or similar that the cheapest travel insurance for old folks was with an orgainsation called something like ""British Mountaineering club". Seriously.

Dont know if this is the right link....
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/Landing.aspx
Old Mar 27th 2009, 3:57 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My parents are coming over in May for 4 weeks. They are 84 and 86 and both have pre-existing conditions - high blood pressure and high cholestrol. My mum had cancer 20 years ago but they weren't interested in that. We got it for them through SAGA and it cost 750 GBP for the two of them. They had tried a lot of others and they were either over the age restriction of 80 or they wouldn't touch my mum because of her previous cancer or the quote was 2000 GBP. My mum and dad are in pretty good health and are fit for their ages from walking everywhere. They go out every day for a walk and they catch a but to the next town once a week for a change of scenery.

Good luck finding insurance for your mum, it's out there if you keep looking.

Maggie

Originally Posted by Phoenixsuns
Hi does anyone know of a company that will insure 80 plus coming to visit here in the US? My mother who is 88 has found a Uk company that will insure here with predefined medical history but it is about £2000 for a month!
Any advice would be welcome as we would love her to visit more often?

Thank you
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

theres some great ones at www.buyamericaninsurance.com

they do different age groups and you can select date your arriving how long for, age group, maximum policy etc

im 21 and did a 100k max policy for 12 months and it cost $500 total

hope this helps!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 11:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
theres some great ones at www.buyamericaninsurance.com

they do different age groups and you can select date your arriving how long for, age group, maximum policy etc

im 21 and did a 100k max policy for 12 months and it cost $500 total

hope this helps!
problem is, $100K doesn't get you that much cover...
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
problem is, $100K doesn't get you that much cover...
maybe not but it really depends on what the person wants, after im married i want to have a joint health insurance plan with my OH but for now this is enough for me.

there is plenty of options on the site to change the maximum policy from as little as $25k to $8mil to suit your needs.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
maybe not but it really depends on what the person wants, after im married i want to have a joint health insurance plan with my OH but for now this is enough for me.

there is plenty of options on the site to change the maximum policy from as little as $25k to $8mil to suit your needs.
Bit late to change things though once you've slipped and broken your back for instance....
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Bit late to change things though once you've slipped and broken your back for instance....
I was just trying to help by providing a link I know you can get health insurance from. There is many options on there for people looking for different things.

Im sorry if this is a problem.