Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance Questions

Medical Insurance Questions

Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance Questions

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Alternatively the UK social services provides excellent support for the elderley who don't have family around. I wrote about the care my 89 yr old mum is getting a few weeks ago.
I agree with you JG, unfortunately, we don't seem to be getting much feedback from the OP here, we don't even know the reasons that she is having to bring her mum over? She may think she has no alternative, I just hope she can come up with one, I would not want to be in her position.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
It's rough. Some people don't necessarily want to bring their parents over to live in a land without health insurance but they don't have much of a choice. The image of 'I've fallen and I can't get up' would burn in their mind should something happen to their folks overseas and no one is around to deal with them.

Unfortunately there really isn't an easy way out of familial duties sometime.
TBPH, I would give up the US residency and go back to the UK if I were in that situation. I can't see any real reason for allowing an 85 yo to come and live in the US for the remainder of their days on earth. It is far better for the elderly parent and the family if you moved back. It's not like you are moving back to a third world country. There's nothing so great in this country that you can't have in the UK and you can always come back to the US when you have the freedom from responsibility later on in life.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
TBPH, I would give up the US residency and go back to the UK if I were in that situation. I can't see any real reason for allowing an 85 yo to come and live in the US for the remainder of their days on earth. It is far better for the elderly parent and the family if you moved back.
And not just for the obvious financial implications for the sponsor. Adapting to living in the US at that age might be problematic in of itself.

Based on another post, OP moved to the US in '79. It's peculiar that someone who's lived here for this length of time is only now asking questions about health insurance.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My grandmother moved to my parents in her last years, my mother passed away, but I am sure she could have moved here.

But for medical cost issues.

OP asked a couple of months ago, I guess many people do not fully understand issues until it directly impacts them.