Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance Questions

Medical Insurance Questions

Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:04 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance Questions

It's going to cost out the wazoo but talk to your firm's HR people and ask if you can add a 'dependent parent' to YOUR health insurance coverage. Some plans allow this.

At > 65 though she'll likely have to undergo a medical and they'll find reasons why they won't insure her (thus, high risk pool might be your only option). Google '<your state name> high risk pool' to see about the details in your state.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
It's going to cost out the wazoo but talk to your firm's HR people and ask if you can add a 'dependent parent' to YOUR health insurance coverage. Some plans allow this.

At > 65 though she'll likely have to undergo a medical and they'll find reasons why they won't insure her (thus, high risk pool might be your only option). Google '<your state name> high risk pool' to see about the details in your state.
For my State you have to be under 65.

I am slightly surprised there are any schemes out there that cover aged parents. Well I guess there has to be one.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a scary place to be, from what I hear, most people would be moving in the other direction at that age

I'm sure you are doing this for all the right reasons, but for me, I would be constantly stressed about her needing hospitalisation for a serious condition and me ending up bankrupt from the bills
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Thats a scary place to be, from what I hear, most people would be moving in the other direction at that age

I'm sure you are doing this for all the right reasons, but for me, I would be constantly stressed about her needing hospitalisation for a serious condition and me ending up bankrupt from the bills

Males me wonder if they are fully aware of what the ramifications are for having signed the I-864 Affidavit of Support. Perhaps they don't know that means the government can sue you for reimbursement of means tested monies expended on her behalf.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Males me wonder if they are fully aware of what the ramifications are for having signed the I-864 Affidavit of Support. Perhaps they don't know that means the government can sue you for reimbursement of means tested monies expended on her behalf.

I just hope they have time to figure something out, wonder if OP has family members in the UK that could take care of "mom", would make things a whole lot easier and a much more attractive financial picture
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:54 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It's rough. Some people don't necessarily want to bring their parents over to live in a land without health insurance but they don't have much of a choice. The image of 'I've fallen and I can't get up' would burn in their mind should something happen to their folks overseas and no one is around to deal with them.

Unfortunately there really isn't an easy way out of familial duties sometime.

To the OP I would note that you should try ANY way of finding insurance that is possible, especially if you have signed the affidavit of support. Don't underestimate the costs of health care for the elderly in the US. $50,000 for a week in the hospital is easy to run up. Easy. I have an USC friend with a USC mother-in-law who has just run up $250k in medical expenses in the last year WITH insurance (just not enough).

If you cannot find insurance, you might consider moving (yea, moving) to a state that has some form of coverage for immigrants through the low income systems, even if it is just coverage for emergency services or preventive care.

And yes, some folks even buy a 1-way full fare 'use anytime' ticket for an emergency repatriation back to their home country (in fact, I think you can even buy repatriation insurance, but that's only if you are classified as a visitor--might be worth examining).
Old Sep 15th 2009, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

It's rough. Some people don't necessarily want to bring their parents over to live in a land without health insurance but they don't have much of a choice. The image of 'I've fallen and I can't get up' would burn in their mind should something happen to their folks overseas and no one is around to deal with them.

To the OP I would note that you should try ANY way of finding insurance that is possible, especially if you have signed the affidavit of support. Don't underestimate the costs of health care for the elderly in the US. $50,000 for a week in the hospital is easy to run up. Easy. I have an USC friend with a USC mother-in-law who has just run up $250k in medical expenses in the last year WITH insurance (just not enough).

If you cannot find insurance, you might consider moving (yea, moving) to a state that has some form of coverage for immigrants through the low income systems, even if it is just coverage for emergency services or preventive care.

And yes, some folks even buy a 1-way full fare 'use anytime' ticket for an emergency repatriation back to their home country (in fact, I think you can even buy repatriation insurance, but that's only if you are classified as a visitor--might be worth examining).
Repatriation is park of Travel Insurance. Not applicable in this case.

And repatriation in this case would be back to the US.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG1976
The healthcare in Scotland is bad? Was fine what I was being brought up there.
Depends.

If you are in Inverness for example, it's quite good, as the local NHS trust there is pretty decent, and the general quality of life up there is high.

In other parts however (ie Glasgow) the local authorities have all their resources consumed by knife-wielding Old Firm maniacs, fish suppers and fags, leaving little time or money to treat anything else.

Then you have Ninewells in Dundee, which is a truly remarkable place, managing to cope with the unhealthy excesses of the local population while simultaneously, consistently pumping out world-class cancer research. Of course, with the nature of the city it has no shortage of case studies to work with.

For some odd reason, thinking about the Scottish diet is making me hungry and is putting me in the mind to go to the British pub here for a sausage roll or four.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag

For some odd reason, thinking about the Scottish diet is making me hungry and is putting me in the mind to go to the British pub here for a sausage roll or four.
You'll only have to go jogging then. How will that feel?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:33 am
Account Closed

Deep fried Mars Bars!

Yummy
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Depends.

If you are in Inverness for example, it's quite good, as the local NHS trust there is pretty decent, and the general quality of life up there is high.

In other parts however (ie Glasgow) the local authorities have all their resources consumed by knife-wielding Old Firm maniacs, fish suppers and fags, leaving little time or money to treat anything else.

Then you have Ninewells in Dundee, which is a truly remarkable place, managing to cope with the unhealthy excesses of the local population while simultaneously, consistently pumping out world-class cancer research. Of course, with the nature of the city it has no shortage of case studies to work with.

I grew up in Edinburgh city centre and never had any problems with health care. My mum still lives there and she has multiple sclerosis and she has had excellent care through the NHS. There are bad bits about healthcare all over the place, if you choose to look for them. I like looking for the good stuff myself. I think I may go looking for a sausage roll now. Or shortbread. Or both!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

True, but I think I'd move back to the UK before I brought an almost certainly uninsurable 85 year old to the US and signed an affidavit of support for them. Seems like a plan for likely bankruptcy to me... no way to sugarcoat it really.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
True, but I think I'd move back to the UK before I brought an almost certainly uninsurable 85 year old to the US and signed an affidavit of support for them. Seems like a plan for likely bankruptcy to me... no way to sugarcoat it really.
That's what I'd do too.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
That's what I'd do too.
Alternatively the UK social services provides excellent support for the elderley who don't have family around. I wrote about the care my 89 yr old mum is getting a few weeks ago.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Alternatively the UK social services provides excellent support for the elderley who don't have family around. I wrote about the care my 89 yr old mum is getting a few weeks ago.
That sounds like it is something that could vary wildely from council to council.

Either way, I'm sure it's generally always a lot better than what's on offer here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.