Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance With Pre Existing Condition?

Medical Insurance With Pre Existing Condition?

Old Sep 8th 2012, 4:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance With Pre Existing Condition?

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Yeh, the requirement for six months without any insurance makes this a last resort kind of option.

$2700 for a sprained ankle and a pair of crutches was my ER experience - I guess that was a bargain!
And moving to VT, which is a cold weather winter state, slipping over and spraining/breaking a leg is quite a high possibility.

The group plan via employer is the best bet, but the requirement of not having a lapse of cover of more than 62 days still applies, or pre-existing can still be exempt from cover for up to the first 12 months of cover, but at least you'd get cover.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

ella2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your input,it has made me think a lot!.

Chatted to hubby about it all and came to the conclusion that the temporary solution until one of us gets a job is to hopefully find a company that will accept him even if won't pay out for anything Angina related,if that's possible.He will have a 3 month supply of the meds he needs so will have plenty time to figure out to get more.
Luckily even though he was diagnosed 4 yrs ago his meds have kept him stable and no hospital visits since, so hopefully one of us will get a job soon!.

10 yrs ago i lived in VT for 2 years with a relative.I was pretty naive and it didn't cross my mind to get insurance as i didn't work for the first few months,i was basically caring for a terminally sick uncle while my aunt was at work.I then got a job with rubbish wage but good health insurance.A few weks later at work i tripped backwards over a kids toy in the pre school i worked in and had to go for an x-ray!.No idea what it cost but i realise now how badly tha tcould have turned out if i had not been employed!! Eek!!
Old Sep 8th 2012, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
And moving to VT, which is a cold weather winter state, slipping over and spraining/breaking a leg is quite a high possibility.

The group plan via employer is the best bet, but the requirement of not having a lapse of cover of more than 62 days still applies, or pre-existing can still be exempt from cover for up to the first 12 months of cover, but at least you'd get cover.
Yes i have lived in VT before and walked on ice to work,i had insurance but luckily no falls!! not on ice anyway!
Old Sep 8th 2012, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ella2013
Thank you all for your input,it has made me think a lot!.
.A few weks later at work i tripped backwards over a kids toy in the pre school i worked in and had to go for an x-ray!.No idea what it cost but i realise now how badly tha tcould have turned out if i had not been employed!! Eek!!
I think this should have been covered under your employer's workers comp insurance and not something you should have paid for.

Can OP not come out ahead of her husband and find work? That might be a solution to the healthcare coverage issue!
Old Sep 8th 2012, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by limeynus
I think this should have been covered under your employer's workers comp insurance and not something you should have paid for.

Can OP not come out ahead of her husband and find work? That might be a solution to the healthcare coverage issue!
No i didn't pay for it,was just meaning if i had an accident in the months before i started work then i would have been in trouble.It just made me realise what a risk i had taken by not being covered for 5 months or so,after i had the fall.

As for me going out to USA first,the spouse visa application has happened so fast that i have not had a chance yet to get things organised to move to USA.I filed the I130 in June and was told it would take close to a year to finalize.Well now hubby has been called for his medical next week !! The visa interview should only be a few weeks later... I have a lot to tie up over here,mainly my job here.My plan at the start was to go to USA myself after New Year and hubby follow when he had his visa,which we assumed March at the earliest so you can imagine the surprise that it could be early as October!!. I know we could stall the medical exam for later but we really feel we should take the opportunity and go when we can ..

Last edited by ella2013; Sep 8th 2012 at 5:14 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 5:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ella2013
No i didn't pay for it,was just meaning if i had an accident in the months before i started work then i would have been in trouble.It just made me realise what a risk i had taken by not being covered for 5 months or so,after i had the fall.

As for me going out to USA first,the spouse visa application has happened so fast that i have not had a chance yet to get things organised to move to USA.I filed the I130 in June and was told it would take close to a year to finalize.Well now hubby has been called for his medical next week !! The visa interview should only be a few weeks later... I have a lot to tie up over here,mainly my job here.My plan at the start was to go to USA myself after New Year and hubby follow when he had his visa,which we assumed March at the earliest so you can imagine the surprise that it could be early as October!!. I know we could stall the medical exam for later but we really feel we should take the opportunity and go when we can ..
Just because he gets the visa, doesn't mean you can't still go later, he has 6 months to use it...and if you delayed the interview, you'd have longer still.

Just an option to consider.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Just because he gets the visa, doesn't mean you can't still go later, he has 6 months to use it...and if you delayed the interview, you'd have longer still.

Just an option to consider.
yeah i know.we are throwing options around.. we are just too impatient lol..
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Some thoughts.
1. Does a one-off episode of probably (possible?) "angina" equate to a diagnosis?
2. Some suggest that anyone over 40 should be on a statin.