British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Medical insurance for person 74 years old (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/medical-insurance-person-74-years-old-822936/)

fa7505 Jan 26th 2014 2:38 pm

Medical insurance for person 74 years old

In August 13 my now husband entered the US on a B1/2 visa. We were married in October and he applied for a green card Dec 6. His visitors insurance expires in Feb. He does not have his I-131 to travel back to the UK to get his travel insurance extended and can not get coverage in the US, with Blue Cross, until he has a social security number.

Does anyone know where he can get insurance until he receives his green card? Hopefully, it would be for only a few months.

Jerseygirl Jan 26th 2014 2:52 pm

Re: Medical insurance for person 74 years old

I have moved your thread over to the General US forum as you are enquiring about healthcare insurance not visas. :)

Pulaski Jan 26th 2014 3:15 pm

It sounds as if he has already taken up residence in the US, therefore his travel insurance has probably already expired and he risks any claim he might make being rejected. :unsure:

Jerseygirl Jan 26th 2014 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11097533)
It sounds as if he has already taken up residence in the US, therefore his travel insurance has probably already expired and he risks any claim he might make being rejected. :unsure:

Exactly. At 74 I think healthcare insurance will be mega expensive...and probably difficult to find. :unsure:

ian-mstm Jan 26th 2014 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by fa7505 (Post 11097500)
Does anyone know where he can get insurance until he receives his green card?

Most likely, he will have to contract with a private insurance company to get coverage. Visitor/travel insurance is no longer appropriate as he is no longer a visitor/traveller. Be aware that coverage will likely be very expensive.

With respect, one wonders why he would come to the US to live rather than you going to the UK to live!

Ian

SanDiegogirl Jan 26th 2014 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by fa7505 (Post 11097500)
In August 13 my now husband entered the US on a B1/2 visa. We were married in October and he applied for a green card Dec 6. His visitors insurance expires in Feb. He does not have his I-131 to travel back to the UK to get his travel insurance extended and can not get coverage in the US, with Blue Cross, until he has a social security number.

Does anyone know where he can get insurance until he receives his green card? Hopefully, it would be for only a few months.

He may not get insurance with any medical group as he is not a permanent resident in the US. He is still a visitor and the health insurance companies in the US don't cover visitors.

When he entered the US on the B1/2 did he intend to marry and stay?

sir_eccles Jan 26th 2014 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11097556)
Exactly. At 74 I think healthcare insurance will be mega expensive...and probably difficult to find. :unsure:

Thanks to the ACA insurance will be easy to find through the exchange though as it is all age based it may be pricey (he can't be refused though) and he will have to wait until he has his greencard.

SanDiegogirl Jan 26th 2014 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11097597)
Thanks to the ACA insurance will be easy to find through the exchange though as it is all age based it may be pricey (he can't be refused though) and he will have to wait until he has his greencard.

...... it is also income based. So depending on what the couple's income is he might or might not get subsidies, which are the only way to keep premiums down.

Duncan Roberts Jan 26th 2014 5:13 pm

Why can't he be added to your policy? There is no SSN requirement to be added to a spouses insurance plan as far as I know.

Bob Jan 26th 2014 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 11097694)
Why can't he be added to your policy? There is no SSN requirement to be added to a spouses insurance plan as far as I know.

There's no requirement for a SSN to get insurance, but some companies might have it as their own policy, or more likely the person on the phone doesn't realise they could use another identifier like a passport number.

Either way, the travel insurance is dead.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 26th 2014 5:28 pm

First I find it very difficult to believe that he had Travel Insurance for 6 months, never came across such an option for the 70 ish age group.

If you could buy it, well arm and a leg.

As he has filed to adjust then from that moment he became eligible for O Care.

He should have signed up at last month, he can now go on the Exchange and sort himself out for the next enrollment period.

Presume OP has Medicare.

fa7505 Jan 26th 2014 9:04 pm

Lots of thoughts in the above posts.

We know that insurance will be very expensive and have planned on that. He is working with a company to give him insurance, but each time they say it is a "done deal", some other excuse comes up from the "higher ups". This time, no ss#.

He did not come into this country planning on marrying me. After 2 1/2 months we decided we wanted to remain together year around. We have a friend who is a minister and he said "tell me when and where and I'll be there". We were married four days later.

Thanks again for the replies.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 27th 2014 12:42 am

Working with a Company? Why not just go on the Exchange?

He does not need a SSN.

penguinbar Jan 27th 2014 12:45 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 11097588)
He may not get insurance with any medical group as he is not a permanent resident in the US. He is still a visitor and the health insurance companies in the US don't cover visitors.

When he entered the US on the B1/2 did he intend to marry and stay?

My husband was covered by my insurance as soon as we were married. He came over on a K1.

SanDiegogirl Jan 27th 2014 4:37 am

Originally Posted by penguinbar (Post 11098307)
My husband was covered by my insurance as soon as we were married. He came over on a K1.

....... the OP came over on a B1/B2 visa - a visitor visa.

Until such time as he gets his AOS because of his marriage he does not have the necessary requirements for insurance companies in the US to offer him a policy i.e a visa for permanent residency, SSN etc.