Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical insurance options on B1VISA (SNOW BIRD)?

Medical insurance options on B1VISA (SNOW BIRD)?

Old May 15th 2010, 5:58 pm
GLB
Just Joined

GLB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical insurance options on B1VISA (SNOW BIRD)?

Hi all,

Well i was granted a 10year B1 visa which allows me to spend 6-8months of the year in Sunny Arizona and then return to the UK during the summer.

What is the best option for me re medical insurance whilst im here in the USA for 6-8months of the year?
Old May 15th 2010, 7:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical insurance options on B1VISA (SNOW BIRD)?

Originally Posted by GLB
Hi all,

Well i was granted a 10year B1 visa which allows me to spend 6-8months of the year in Sunny Arizona and then return to the UK during the summer.

What is the best option for me re medical insurance whilst im here in the USA for 6-8months of the year?
Shouldn't your employer be working that out for you?

edit: reading your past post, maybe it's not a B-1 visa you have. Where'd you get the 8 months idea? B admissions are for 6 months.

Last edited by meauxna; May 15th 2010 at 7:16 pm.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meauxna
Shouldn't your employer be working that out for you?

edit: reading your past post, maybe it's not a B-1 visa you have. Where'd you get the 8 months idea? B admissions are for 6 months.
Don't know if this is the OPs case or not, but wouldn't 2 x 4 months or some other combination of time be a possibility?
Old May 15th 2010, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by srefre
Don't know if this is the OPs case or not, but wouldn't 2 x 4 months or some other combination of time be a possibility?
Not for very long.

Probably a B2 Visa.

Contact your favourite travel insurer.
Old May 16th 2010, 3:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not for very long.

Probably a B2 Visa.

Contact your favourite travel insurer.
I don't think it's possible to get UK travel insurance to cover you for that length of time in the US. If the OP can get US insurance it will probably cost him an arm, leg and kidney.
Old May 16th 2010, 2:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GLB
Hi all,

You probably mean you have a B-2 ...and will get an admittance of 180 days each trip/year

Yoiu will get travel insurance in the UK ..you are still young enough to get it
Old May 16th 2010, 4:11 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Travel Insurance purchased from your home country will be a better option than buying it from the U.S. Chances are U.S. insurance will require things like Social Security Number, U.S. residence address, etc.

American Express offers Travel Insurance for its cardholders, travel agencies can also provide referrals to insurance companies.

Alternatively, you can gamble that you won't need medical care at all and only pay upfront when such needs arise
Old May 21st 2010, 4:11 pm
ihe
Forum Regular

ihe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't think it's possible to get UK travel insurance to cover you for that length of time in the US. If the OP can get US insurance it will probably cost him an arm, leg and kidney.
It is. I recently paid 104 quid for 6 months worth. People like Endsleigh will also cover for that period of time.
Old May 21st 2010, 4:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ihe
It is. I recently paid 104 quid for 6 months worth. People like Endsleigh will also cover for that period of time.
OK thanks. When I was looking for insurance for my MIL I remember seeing something about time restrictions to the US...I guess it must depend on the company.
Old May 21st 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen some (back packer etc) that can be covered for 12 months.
Old May 21st 2010, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks. When I was looking for insurance for my MIL I remember seeing something about time restrictions to the US...I guess it must depend on the company.
There's a joke in there somewhere.