British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Medical Insurance and the new year? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/medical-insurance-new-year-645363/)

Bob Dec 18th 2009 9:20 pm

Medical Insurance and the new year?

So what's happening with everyones insurance for the new year? Anything fun?

Ours is only going up $40 a month to stay on the "good" plan, which will now have a $500 deductible from $0 and will have a 90/70 in/out network split covered for hospital/long term care, which was 100%

So it's only now going to $440 a month.

The cheap option, which is considerably cheaper has gotten from crap to a case of "you must be joking if you think that's cover", which with a kid just isn't worth the gamble.

Juswus Dec 18th 2009 9:23 pm

Re: Medical Insurance and the new year?

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8184046)

The cheap option, which is considerably cheaper has gotten from crap to a case of "you must be joking if you think that's cover", which with a kid just isn't worth the gamble.

that's the option I have. :unsure:
We've just changed companies we use at work, so mine has actually gone down. :thumbsup:

I'm not covered for shit, but I get a health check once a year...woop :rolleyes:

You're right though, you can't have the crap one when you've got kids.

rebs Dec 18th 2009 10:01 pm

Our premiums are staying the same (about $350 per month), but they are introducing a deductible of $750 - was $0 before :thumbdown:

Giantaxe Dec 18th 2009 11:00 pm

The biggest change for the New Year is that anyone who becomes newly unemployed and loses their health insurance will not get the 65% subsidy towards COBRA payments that's been in effect this year. The role of uninsureds is going to keep growing unless Congress reauthorizes the programme.

meauxna Dec 18th 2009 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 8184133)
Our premiums are staying the same (about $350 per month), but they are introducing a deductible of $750 - was $0 before :thumbdown:

Isn't that effectively raising your premium?
How do their evil little minds work, grrr.

clarissageo Dec 18th 2009 11:35 pm

Mine is staying the same, but i've only had it a since October so its a damn good job really.....

The total cost is $521 a month, but I only pay $140 and my boss pays the rest. Its a $1000 deductible per person, or $2000 family deductible, and its 80% in network and 64% out of network (after deductible has been met). It covers vision as well, with one free eye test a year per person - no dental, but my kids get free dental anyway because I work at a dentist :)

oh.... and that premium is for 8 of us.... yep.... 8 :D

Mummy in the foothills Dec 19th 2009 12:42 am

No change here, it's a Union plan. First time in our lives we have good insurance (compared to most that is)

AmerLisa Dec 19th 2009 12:53 am

No change here, still a paltry $98 a month premium for 3 of us....BUT its $2300 deductible for each person. :sneaky: Although the deductible amount stayed the same, it rose by $100 last year.....:rolleyes:

Jerseygirl Dec 19th 2009 1:32 am

For the 2 of us...$130 per month for healthcare...no deductible. $13 per month for dental...no deductible.

Duncan Roberts Dec 19th 2009 2:18 am

Our prescription plan changed and I'll save about $30 a month. I'm happy.

PepsiChic Dec 19th 2009 2:46 am

Wirelessly posted (LG-GR500/V10f Teleca/Q7.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I have a benefit insurance plan type thingy :s

Its with beechstreet its $179 a month no deductable and i dont think its going up.

I have no idea if this is a good company or not but it sounded good at the time.

SpoogleDrummer Dec 19th 2009 3:15 am

My insurance is already crap. Luckily (or unluckily) our children qualify for coverkids which is a TN thing so they're covered until I get a better paying job.

chrisfromusa Dec 19th 2009 5:47 am

I have no medical insurance unfortunately, used to have it, but they need to make a better bill in Congress, I don't like this healthcare bill they have running around.

Poppy girl Dec 19th 2009 7:55 am

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa (Post 8184839)
I have no medical insurance unfortunately, used to have it, but they need to make a better bill in Congress, I don't like this healthcare bill they have running around.

Same here, just cancelled mine and probably won't bother to reinstate another one in the near future.

Rete Dec 19th 2009 8:14 pm

My daughter's husband's company switched last year to self-insured healthcare and it cost them a nice penny. This year the cost has been increased from $500 a month to $750 and the deductible from $2500 to $6500. So daughter is coming off the policy to lower the cost and will look for private for herself.

For me, DH retires July 1 and I have two choices: my firm plan which is $175 a month with deductibles of $500 per hospital stay; $250 per outpatient and $2,500 for non-plan physicians and $100 deductible on meds and double the co-pay; or continue with hubby's plan and pay $100 a month (was free before) with the same no deductible for healthcare and $50 deductible on meds and co-pay of $15 for generic and $30 for name brand.