Medical insurance for new immigrant

Wikiposts

Medical insurance for new immigrant

Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

miami078 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical insurance for new immigrant

Hi all

I was wondering if somebody could shed some light on medical insurance. I am due to immigrate to the USA in March 2010 and I will be a permanent resident (I will require to have conditions removed after two years as married less than 2 years). I am a UK citizen and my husband is a US citizen. My husband is currently over in the US looking for work however we don’t envisage him finding anything in the immediate future as he is a university lecturer and there are certain hiring periods. He is currently listed on his parents medical insurance and therefore ok but i obviously dont have any. I will be looking for temp work whilst over there so will not be in a position to get employment insurnace although we are aware that once he finds a job we will both able to get insurance through employment but my worry is what do I do the day I step of the plane?

My husband tells me applying for private medical insurance will be too expensive which I agree particulalry if we have no income (we are staying with his parents until we get ourselves on our feet) he has suggested I wait until he finds employment but I cant imagine being over there without insurance incase a freak accident happens, particularly after hearing horror stories of hospital medical bills.

There are two things I need to address

a) what sort of insurance will I need to get to cover me until my husband gets work. In the beginning I guess I can only afford look to cover me for an emergency rather than preventative care and will have to try and stay away from the doctors as much as I can
b) However if I can only afford preventative care I need to decide whether to come of my monthly medication becuase I wouldnt be bale to afford it. I am currently on diabetes medication in the UK not for diabetes per se but it’s a drug used for polycycstic ovary syndrome to try and address glucose intolerance and hormonal inbalance. When I was originally put on this drug I was told to try it out and that it wasn’t life or death I continue with it but it may help prevent some symptoms but again I guess these are tolerable (PCOS isnt curable you just change your diet etc to try and manage symptoms.) I am therefore wondering without medical insurance and a GP how would I get monthly presriptions of this? What happens if you have monthly medication - would this increase my insurance a lot – if yes – I guess I could ask my UK doctor if it is ok healthwise to come of the drug and have to go without for when I move to the USA or is there anything in place within insurnace or medical aid for people requiring ongoing prescirptions.

I am finding it difficult to get my head around the fact I am having to choose if I can afford to take medication. I know that is the way the USA works and I accept it is my choice etc, I am just wondering if I am overlooking any help available to me e.g somebody mentioned free medical care at community hospitals?

I hope somebody can offer some advice?

Best wishes

MIA
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical insurance for new immigrant

This is discussed as nauseum on this forum, use the form search function and you'll find a plethora of threads that already discuss the answers to all your questions and more.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mia,

I'm moving your thread to the USA forum, where there are more discussions about healthcare and insurance.

Rene
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If you're taking metformin then it's available for $10 for 90 days worth at pretty much any pharmacy so don't worry about that. You would just need to see a doc to get a prescription. See below for issues with that though. You may be denied private coverage because of your PCOS based on pre-existing conditions or you may be asked to pay a lot more or have certain things not covered but there is a way round it. Just make sure this is OK with a doc. Stop taking metformin today and don't get any medical advice or treatment for it. By May 20th it will no longer be considered a pre-existing condition and can't be used when determining coverage or price.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mtlmama
Rene,

Would you mind posting the thread link? I'm actually interested in this, too, but can't locate the "USA" forum you mentioned, or the thread.

Thanks, K
At the top of the page, you will see 'bread crumbs' explaining where on the site you are. It looks like this:
Forum / Living & Moving Abroad / USA / Medical insurance for new immigrant

Click on any part of that, and you jump to that part of the forums.

You can also click on "Discussion Forum" in the blue bar at the very top of the page and select any one of the many, many specialty forums there are on BritishExpats.com

This is the direct link to the USA forum (you are already 'here' since Rene moved the thread).
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

mtlmama is just really nicemtlmama is just really nicemtlmama is just really nicemtlmama is just really nicemtlmama is just really nicemtlmama is just really nicemtlmama is just really nicemtlmama is just really nice

Thanks, Meauxna. I figured it out and tried to delete my post. Guess it didn't take!
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:42 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mtlmama
Thanks, Meauxna. I figured it out and tried to delete my post. Guess it didn't take!
That's OK.. someone will have the same question and be able to silently say.. Ohhhhhh.

Last edited by meauxna; Nov 20th 2009 at 7:12 am.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miami078
....He is currently listed on his parents medical insurance and therefore ok...
Are you sure about that? Most polices won't cover married children...might not be the case for everyone, but it has been for everyone that I personally know.

So where are you moving to? Might have some local options.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 8:06 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

It is quite rough. You might want to stock up on all the meds you can get your hands on while in the UK so you have a supply for a few months here until you can get something sorted.

A bare minimum policy (i.e. in case you are hit by a truck) covering just you is not necessarily as expensive as you might thing--perhaps $300 a month or so, maybe less, maybe more. Take a look at http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

There are not a lot of jobs that provide health insurance at the 'entry level' of employment (i.e. Walmart, bookstore clerk, slinging beers at a pub, etc.) Eventually you'll get one that does offer it and you can go on and add your husband as well, but the costs will add up.

Be sure to read the WIKI at the top on health insurance and to look at getting some form of 'proof of coverage' from the UK (which is kind of tricky depending on your GP). This will allow you to go into a US plan without a 'pre-existing' condition trap being pulled on you.

It's a big headache.

And generally, no, there are no public health / medical care options available to new immigrants. Some states provide some levels of care (i.e. emergency only, or pregnant women and emergency only, or something like that). Really depends on the state. This table might help.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...98#post8045998
Old Nov 20th 2009, 8:53 am

We were cautioned at my husband's immigrant visa interview that we should get medical insurance for him, as he would not be eligible for most (any?) public health options in his first 5 years in the US.
It was good advice, and that was some 7 years ago when insurance was about half what it costs now.

Perhaps what your husband meant is that you should wait to immigrate until he has a job with insurance (not all employment offers health insurance or the ability to buy it).
Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Are you sure about that? Most polices won't cover married children...might not be the case for everyone, but it has been for everyone that I personally know.

So where are you moving to? Might have some local options.
There is also usually an age limit for children...ours was 24 but in a recent thread some have said their insurance cut off is 25. Miami078 said her husband is looking for work as a uni lecturer...so I am assuming he is older than 25.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There is also usually an age limit for children...ours was 24 but in a recent thread some have said their insurance cut off is 25. Miami078 said her husband is looking for work as a uni lecturer...so I am assuming he is older than 25.
Hi Jersey, we have just been informed, that our 21 yr old son, will be removed from our insurance May 2010 when he graduates Uni, he will be 22.

Reg. Frank r.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Hi Jersey, we have just been informed, that our 21 yr old son, will be removed from our insurance May 2010 when he graduates Uni, he will be 22.

Reg. Frank r.
he better move on to a drinking degree and stretch it out a little longer then
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
he better move on to a drinking degree and stretch it out a little longer then

Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sure it varies a lot by state, I know where I am the Supermarket jobs require 6 months employment, bar jobs do not come with it generally and Starbucks requires you to do so many hours which can be tricky to get.

I never realised that those Salvation Army bell ringers were paid, but not likely to get insurance.

They did not have to advertise this year here, inundated with applications.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.