British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Medical Insurance needed for a month (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/medical-insurance-needed-month-286923/)

Minty Feb 27th 2005 8:19 pm

Medical Insurance needed for a month

Hi everyone

I will be moving to the US in early May to marry. I will be covered on my spouses company medical insurance from 1st June but need to have somethig in place just for May.

Can anyone suggest any companies I could approach? Any idea on the costs for a month?

Thanks

Minty

Just Jenney Feb 27th 2005 8:37 pm

Re: Medical Insurance needed for a month

Originally Posted by Minty
Hi everyone

I will be moving to the US in early May to marry. I will be covered on my spouses company medical insurance from 1st June but need to have somethig in place just for May.

Can anyone suggest any companies I could approach? Any idea on the costs for a month?

Thanks

Minty

When Mark came over two years ago, he just got travel insurance with British Airways along with his ticket. Don't know how much it cost but not very much, maybe $50-75 or something.

~ Jenney

Russ&Jayne Feb 28th 2005 11:32 am

I used www.expatriate-insurance.com. They were very easy to deal with. It cost around 60 quid a month if I remember rightly. You can't use any old travel insurance as they need your return date to the UK. Be it on your own head if you pretend there's a return date and then something happens to you :rolleyes:

Shish kebab Feb 28th 2005 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Minty
Hi everyone

Thanks

Minty

You can also get insurance with Thomas cook for a month you don't need to buy your flight ticket with them to get the insurance.

licon Feb 28th 2005 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Shish kebab
You can also get insurance with Thomas cook for a month you don't need to buy your flight ticket with them to get the insurance.

There is new legislation that says travel agents cannot sell travel insurance on its own, it must be with another product (flight, hotel, carhire, tour, etc.). WHY, when unrelated high street stores like Boots are selling insurance and not telling people any of the important infornmation, I don't know.

But the previous poster is correct - regular travel insurance will not cover you if you are not returning to the UK. Your cover will stop once you clear customs.