Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical insurance for family of 4 with no pre existing conditions

Medical insurance for family of 4 with no pre existing conditions

Old Nov 18th 2019, 4:28 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical insurance for family of 4 with no pre existing conditions

Originally Posted by Mic1
I think there's maybe a little more trust between myself and the UBO.....
It’s got nothing to do with trust.... if you ever want the chance of an exit you should set things up properly from day 1. To be honest it could be a smart move by the UBO, if anything goes wrong it can all be put on you and they can sue for mismanagement, if they had the normal oversight as as a voting shareholder they would have less recourse as they had a mechanism and responsibly form oversight. But everyone to their own, I don’t understand the logic of giving a non majority owner voting control, unless it’s like WeWork or something and the other shareholders want the main UBO to not have control.

The analogy of what your saying is why bother having a co pilot set next to the pilot when you trust him to fly the plane... things can go wrong from external factors trust or not...

or another example is a pre-nup, no need for it unless something goes wrong?

Is there a good reason for needing to concentrate all the power with a single “key man” ?

Last edited by tht; Nov 18th 2019 at 4:41 am.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 4:46 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mic1
Good question, tricky answer. I'm an employee of the Spanish company but a director and shareholder of the USA subsidiary !
you realize that as a shareholder you are paid K1 not W2, which changes a lot of the setup for benefits and may cause issues if you plan to have a 401k, which is a very tax efficient way to invest pre-tax $ for retirement.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

you realize that as a shareholder you are paid K1 not W2, which changes a lot of the setup for benefits and may cause issues if you plan to have a 401k, which is a very tax efficient way to invest pre-tax $ for retirement.
All good points THT, thanks for the input.
At no point did anyone mention a K1 which having now searched the net since you mentioned it, i'm surprised. I'm now looking into why this hasn't been bought up.
Thanks again

Old Nov 28th 2019, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

All good points THT, thanks for the input.
At no point did anyone mention a K1 which having now searched the net since you mentioned it, i'm surprised. I'm now looking into why this hasn't been bought up.
Thanks again