Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance blood pressure coverage

Medical Insurance blood pressure coverage

Old Aug 13th 2006, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

jamarick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Insurance blood pressure coverage

My wife has high blood pressure and is on medication to control this in the UK. We have been granted parent visas and plan to be in the USA shortly.

Does anyone know of an Insurance Company that will include my wife with her blood pressure without increased premiums and without our UK Doctor submitting medical forms before we even get a quotation? Has anyone had experience of this?

Many thanks
Jamarick
Old Aug 13th 2006, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

AvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Medical Insurance blood pressure coverage

Originally Posted by jamarick
My wife has high blood pressure and is on medication to control this in the UK. We have been granted parent visas and plan to be in the USA shortly.

Does anyone know of an Insurance Company that will include my wife with her blood pressure without increased premiums and without our UK Doctor submitting medical forms before we even get a quotation? Has anyone had experience of this?

Many thanks
Jamarick
I can't imagine any insurance company here offering your wife cover without the premiums being sky high. When we came we had to wait a year before we could get insurance , so I insured via Bupas international policy for a year. Medical insurance as self employed people has been a big problem for us here. Others of course may know better or more about this.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Insurance is State specific so it would depend on the rules and regulatons pertinant to the State you are moving to.

Generally outside of a Group Plan there is a pre existing defects clause, sometimes this is limited in that after a while it will provide full cover.

And full cover is a bit of a misnomer, still co-pays/ deductible etc etc.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 7:15 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Jamarick,

You are already worried about health insurance with just this one pre-condition (not too uncommon over here actually). You should be. The forms and pre-conditions will be taken into account by everyone. Getting new quotes and declaring pre-conditions will be a yearly exercise. My small companies health insurance went up by 45% this year (basically they were saying the didn't want the business!!). We shopped around to the major companies and all were about the same so in the end, we stayed put!!!

You say you are moving here. How much have you estimated your monthly health insurance to be? I'm interested as many foreign "parents" find the costs very very high. Let me know. Thanks.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

a lot depends on how old and where you are, some states might have something to help cover certain things, but that probably generally won't help you.

insurance is going to cost you an arm and a leg being older and especially having any pre-existing conditions....there's not much you can do about it but either get a job that'll provide insurance, which a lot of people have to do around here anyway, as you won't qualify for medicare/caid, or your sponsor will have to pay it back if you get any back....and your other option, not come to the US I'm afraid.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 9:01 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
Jamarick
High blood pressure is very common in the US (probably more so than in the US) so having this condition is unlikely to be a reason for you to be declined health insurance coverage.

However, if neither of you plan on working and are older, your premium is likely to be higher than somebody of your age who is working and with high blood pressure because you will be fully responsible for your health insurance (i.e. there's no-one to subsidize your premiums).

In any case, when applying for health insurance, answer questions honestly and succinctly.

Best of luck.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 13th 2006, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

They are circa 60.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
High blood pressure is very common in the US (probably more so than in the US) so having this condition is unlikely to be a reason for you to be declined health insurance coverage.

However, if neither of you plan on working and are older, your premium is likely to be higher than somebody of your age who is working and with high blood pressure because you will be fully responsible for your health insurance (i.e. there's no-one to subsidize your premiums).

In any case, when applying for health insurance, answer questions honestly and succinctly.

Best of luck.

NC Penguin

I have a friend, self employed, mid 30s high blood pressure and cholestrol - he can't get medical coverage for love nor money!!
Old Aug 14th 2006, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for all your immense help to:

AvromShalom, Boiler, franc11s. Bob, NC Penguin and Limeynus.

from Jamarick
Old Aug 14th 2006, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by limeynus
I have a friend, self employed, mid 30s high blood pressure and cholestrol - he can't get medical coverage for love nor money!!
Limeynus - is your friend having trouble because of his health or the fact that he is self employed?
Old Aug 14th 2006, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Limeynus - is your friend having trouble because of his health or the fact that he is self employed?
My understanding is because of his health. He's been refused by at least a couple of carriers!
Old Aug 14th 2006, 7:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by limeynus
My understanding is because of his health. He's been refused by at least a couple of carriers!
doesn't help he's self employed, less buying power than with a company....does suck though doesn't it.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
doesn't help he's self employed, less buying power than with a company....does suck though doesn't it.
Yes, I agree. Although I would have thought they wouldn't have refused him based on being self employed, but rather that the premiums would be astronomical!
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:29 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all your immense help to:

AvromShalom, Boiler, franc11s. Bob, NC Penguin and Limeynus.

from Jamarick
Jamarick, no problems. What quotes do they have to date ? I 'm interested. Thanks.