Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance

Medical Insurance

Old Jul 21st 2018, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

RainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical Insurance

Hi all

I will be entering the US at the beginning of August and 'activating' my IR-1 visa. I'm only staying for 5 weeks to settle my daughter into school, and will then be returning to the UK to sort out some loose ends. Can I use travel insurance to cover my medical expenses for the 5 week period when i am temporarily in the US, or do I need to start paying for medical insurance in the US? I ask because my husband is a freelancer, and the cost of adding family members to his policy is high. A couple of extra months free from medical insurance payments would help.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance

I would lean towards no, as you'll be a permanent resident of the USA immediately
Old Jul 21st 2018, 5:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read on other posts on this topic, no... because you won't be a "traveler" (tourist). You'll be a permanent resident.

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 1:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you will not have made the move from the UK until later so should be OK on UK Travel Insurance.

The move will be sometime later.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

isi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just back from USA same scenario as you as I finalised my immigration by staying a few weeks then came home to settle my affairs here. I asked the many insurance companies that I got quotes from if I was able to use travel insurance -gave a full explanation on my situation. They all said I was entitled to use travel insurance, I would be fully covered as I was returning to my home address in UK. If you don't have a return residential address in UK you can't use travel insurance.

Last edited by isi16; Jul 22nd 2018 at 7:14 pm. Reason: Change in wording
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Sounds like you will not have made the move from the UK until later so should be OK on UK Travel Insurance.

The move will be sometime later.
Maybe for the OP, but what about the OP's daughter? If they are starting school here, I don't see how they could be classed as a tourist in the time before the OP eventually moves over.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 23rd 2018 at 3:40 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 3:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isi16
I'm just back from USA same scenario as you as I finalised my immigration by staying a few weeks then came home to settle my affairs here. I asked the many insurance companies that I got quotes from if I was able to use travel insurance -gave a full explanation on my situation. They all said I was entitled to use travel insurance, I would be fully covered as I was returning to my home address in UK. If you don't have a return residential address in UK you can't use travel insurance.
I hope you asked for that in writing.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

isi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond reputeisi16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I hope you asked for that in writing.
I did have it in an e-mail from the company I bought my insurance from yes. Easy enough to verify, if you are coming back to this country you're classed as a tourist. You can also buy one way insurance that covers you for a pre determined period but its very expensive
Old Jul 24th 2018, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Maybe for the OP, but what about the OP's daughter? If they are starting school here, I don't see how they could be classed as a tourist in the time before the OP eventually moves over.
I would presume from reading the original question that 'i will be returning' , implies it wasn't including the daughter.....

Last edited by isi16; Jul 24th 2018 at 12:06 am. Reason: Change in wording
Old Jul 24th 2018, 12:19 am
Account Closed

OP asked about himself not his Daughter.

Logical answer and the one I expected, not that Insurance is always a logical business, residency has many many definitions and having a US GC does not in itself mean you are not also Resident somewhere else.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

leema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond repute

I went over in April to use my IR-1 visa and pretty much came back to the U.K. straight away too. I believe the travel insurance I have through my bank account covered me for that. I made my permanent move two weeks ago and googled travel insurance for immigrants. I was able to buy a policy that covers me for 31 days. It was around £100. The company is called Go walkabout and I took out the gold policy.

I know if you are not returning then you couldn’t use this but you may be able to cover your daughter for 31 days. You can check them out online.

Last edited by leema5; Jul 24th 2018 at 1:44 am.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

RainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your comments and advice. My daughter will be covered under her Dad's insurance immediately. It's just me that wants to use travel insurance for my brief visit in August. I took a look at Go Walkabout. I will use that on my second visit when I become resident.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RainyDays
Thank you all for your comments and advice. My daughter will be covered under her Dad's insurance immediately. It's just me that wants to use travel insurance for my brief visit in August. I took a look at Go Walkabout. I will use that on my second visit when I become resident.
Best to get added on to your Husbands Insurance.