Reload this Page >

Medical insurance

Medical insurance

Old Mar 10th 2014, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

alilvshk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical insurance

Hello,

I'm planning to move to MD in 2016. I have several medical conditions, inc. asthma and I will need to get medical insurance. Do a lot of people get it included with their job?
Old Mar 10th 2014, 8:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical insurance

Originally Posted by alilvshk
Hello,

I'm planning to move to MD in 2016. I have several medical conditions, inc. asthma and I will need to get medical insurance. Do a lot of people get it included with their job?
Yes.

Rene
Old Mar 10th 2014, 8:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

It is usual for all but the smallest employers (50 or fewer employees) to arrange health insurance. The cost to the employees is highly variable, but is not health dependent for the employees i.e. you do not pay more if you have preexisting conditions.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 10th 2014 at 8:21 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Think of it like Company Cars in the UK, they did but most got out of the business, likely something similar will happen in the US.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 8:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...and I will need to get medical insurance. Do a lot of people get it included with their job?
Yes (especially now with the ACA) and yes.

Rates will generally be better under a employer based one, but at least you can't be excluded on a private policy.

Plenty of threads on ACA and medical insurance for you to get an idea on things.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

alilvshk is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks guys.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 11:27 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

We have a primer on health insurance which might be helpful.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance
Old Mar 11th 2014, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

While the majority of decent companies do include health insurance as part of their package there are small companies/ mom and pop places/ companies who only offer part time work, which do not.

With the new Affordable Care Act some companies have reduced their benefits package, and new employees are taking our their own individual policies.

Are you intending to move to the US by being transferred with your current company? If so then having health insurance should be part of your contract.

If you are moving by any other means then you may or may not have company health insurance according to what work you obtain.

Either way,whether a company insurance plan subsidized by the company or an individual plan for which you pay totally yourself , budget for paying for premiums and other costs such as deductibles, co-pays etc.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Also keep in mind that even if your employer offers health insurance, it often takes 3-6 months of working there before you become eligible.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you will see more and more employers move to private exchanges. You get part of your salary to buy cover but that will be it.

Like 401 K.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

No one has yet demanded that the OP tell them what visa s/he is coming in on. I'm not sure I've ever seen this happen...