Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance

Wikiposts

Medical Insurance

Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:14 am
Just Joined

annielee is just really niceannielee is just really niceannielee is just really niceannielee is just really niceannielee is just really niceannielee is just really niceannielee is just really niceannielee is just really nice
Default Medical Insurance

Hi everyone,
Can I get put on my husband's medical insurance if
Im a LPR? I am not married yet, we have decided to
get married next year, me return to the UK and go the
I-130 route which I read here covers everything down
to my green card and social security number.
My partner watched an immigration programme last night
and I don't know if he misunderstood but he thinks I have to
be a US citizen, not a LPR to be able to go on his medical
insurance. Can I get private medical insurance if I'm just
a legal permanent resident? This is something I cannot
possibly be without.
Thanks,
Annielee
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance

An LPR can be on his/her spouse's Medical Insurance Plan, if that Plan covers spouses and dependents.

You need to check your future husband's policy for the details of its coverage.

With regard private/individual health insurance (ie. not covered by a Group/employment policy), yes, as an LPR you can apply for this type of insurance cover.

Keep in mind that private health insurance has many more restrictions with regard pre-conditions than Group schemes. The insurance companies have more flexibility to refuse cover, under individual policies, if you have any pre-conditions.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:57 am
Just Joined

annielee is just really niceannielee is just really niceannielee is just really niceannielee is just really niceannielee is just really niceannielee is just really niceannielee is just really niceannielee is just really nice

Hi SanDiegogirl,
Thanks for the reply, yes, my future husband's
medical policy does cover spouses, he was just
worried it wouldn't as I wouldn't be a citizen.
Thank you for the info,
Regards,
Annielee
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the same program. He misunderstood.

What status is your future husband in the US at this time?

Once you are married you can enroll under your husband's plan without even being a Permanent Resident. All that is required is that you are legally married and that the company allows employees to add spouses.

Originally Posted by annielee
Hi everyone,
Can I get put on my husband's medical insurance if
Im a LPR? I am not married yet, we have decided to
get married next year, me return to the UK and go the
I-130 route which I read here covers everything down
to my green card and social security number.
My partner watched an immigration programme last night
and I don't know if he misunderstood but he thinks I have to
be a US citizen, not a LPR to be able to go on his medical
insurance. Can I get private medical insurance if I'm just
a legal permanent resident? This is something I cannot
possibly be without.
Thanks,
Annielee
Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

Once you are married you can enroll under your husband's plan without even being a Permanent Resident. All that is required is that you are legally married and that the company allows employees to add spouses.
And make sure they consider getting married one of those "catastrophic life events" that you can be added straight away, or you might have to wait till the next enrolment period, which could well be the new year, or anniversary of his hire date etc.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Rete,
My partner, future husband, is a USC from birth so no
problems with his status, born and bred in Virginia. His
medical does allow for spouses.

Bob,
His insurance is one that only allows changes to be made
on the enrollment date, Jan 1st, he's going to see if that
includes just adding me or if it means actually changing
his benefits, ie upgrading or downgrading.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Almost forgot to mention, the medical
benefits package he has is through his
employer, it's not a private insurance
he got himself.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Rete,
My partner, future husband, is a USC from birth so no
problems with his status, born and bred in Virginia. His
medical does allow for spouses.

Bob,
His insurance is one that only allows changes to be made
on the enrollment date, Jan 1st, he's going to see if that
includes just adding me or if it means actually changing
his benefits, ie upgrading or downgrading.

Even if there is an enrollment date, marriage and birth are occasions that do NOT require that the enrollment date is the only date on which the new spouse and/or child can be added. You should be able to be added the moment you are married and/or the moment the child is borne. That is how most employer sponsored healthcare programs work. He need only ask his HR manager.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:21 am
Just Joined

Thank you Rete.
I'm not sure what a sponsored healthcare is, he pays
for it, it comes out of his wages. I have told him to
check with them as it does not seem to say anything
when he can add my name to it.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:22 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

But she may have to be in the USA. I was not able to add my wife to my employer-sponsored health plan upon marriage, as she was still living in her native country. I was able to add her when she entered the USA as a non-immigrant (K3), so I agree with you that being a PR should not be a requirement.

Same-same in this case, since the OP will become a PR upon entry. However, until she enters she may not be able to be on her husband's plan since she will not be in the USA. He will need to find out what his plan's provisions are with respect to her place of residence.

Regards, JEff

Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:22 am
Concierge

Thank you Rete.
I'm not sure what a sponsored healthcare is, he pays
for it, it comes out of his wages. I have told him to
check with them as it does not seem to say anything
when he can add my name to it.

He does not pay the entire cost. It is sponsored by the employer who pays part of the premium, I'm sure. Unless he is paying nearly a $1,000 or more a month for individual coverage, then it is sponsored.

BTW I use the word sponsored to mean healthcare offered by an employer which coverage he apparently is covered by.

You are unfamiliar with US Healthcare, either private and/or employer sponsored. Even employer sponsored healthcare is not free to the employee. In the majority of cases we pay part of the premium and the employer pays the rest.

For instance, my premium is $106.00 a month and the company picks up the rest.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:24 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
But she may have to be in the USA. I was not able to add my wife to my employer-sponsored health plan upon marriage, as she was still living in her native country. I was able to add her when she entered the USA as a non-immigrant (K3), so I agree with you that being a PR should not be a requirement.

Same-same in this case, though, since the OP will become a PR upon entry. However, until she enters she may not be able to be on her husband's plan since she will not be in the USA. He will need to find out what his plan's provisions are with respect to her place of residence.

Regards, JEff

Of course, I realize that. She does not need US coverage while she is a resident in the UK. She is covered under their NHS. The responses were to her inquiry about healthcare when she is 'inside' of the US.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Hi,
Sorry for any misunderstandings from my original
post Jeffreyhy, I was asking about the insurance for
when I move there, not to be put on it while I'm
still in the UK, I wouldn't expect to go on it until
I am living there.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 4:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...You should be able to be added the moment you are married and/or the moment the child is borne. That is how most employer sponsored healthcare programs work. He need only ask his HR manager.
In most yes, but not all.

Some places don't include marriage as a changing event, unless you're in a senior manager position or have x number years of service.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 4:45 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Bob
In most yes, but not all.

Some places don't include marriage as a changing event, unless you're in a senior manager position or have x number years of service.

Is that how some IT companies work? Wow ... didn't realize it. In my 40 odd years of working and the years of my girls working we have never encountered such a rule.

Thanks for the update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.