Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance?

Medical Insurance?

Old May 7th 2008, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Mariaslk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Insurance?

I am currently waiting for my "green card" to be processed etc. etc. Filed I-130 and subsequently DS3032 etc.
Now I'm visiting the US for 3 months and I am pregnant! My husband can't put me on his medical insurance because he didn't add me within 30 days of being married and I can't find a company that will take me as I am already pregnant. What can I do for medical checks and scans whilst I am here?
Old May 7th 2008, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance?

You will have to pay for them yourself.

If you are just visiting, there is really very little/no insurance available (unless your husband had added you when he was able).

So unfortunately, I think you'd have to pay for your medical care.

There are some lower cost places if you search the net, unltrasounds shouldn't be too terribly expensive.

What I wonder though - if you are going to immigrate (permanently) before the baby is born, and he can't add you to his insurance, that seems a worse problem than this visit - childbirth in a hospital can get very expensive.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tracym
You will have to pay for them yourself.

If you are just visiting, there is really very little/no insurance available (unless your husband had added you when he was able).

So unfortunately, I think you'd have to pay for your medical care.

There are some lower cost places if you search the net, unltrasounds shouldn't be too terribly expensive.

What I wonder though - if you are going to immigrate (permanently) before the baby is born, and he can't add you to his insurance, that seems a worse problem than this visit - childbirth in a hospital can get very expensive.

Thanks Tracy
Yes, I was hoping to avoid paying for this myself. Maybe I'll end up coming back to the UK to have the baby! The wonders of the NHS!
Old May 7th 2008, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mariaslk
Thanks Tracy
Yes, I was hoping to avoid paying for this myself. Maybe I'll end up coming back to the UK to have the baby! The wonders of the NHS!
You do have my sympathy.

I can't really think of an easy solution though - insurance copmanies don't generally (if they don't have to) take someone on where they will instantly lose money.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:56 pm
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

TKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really nice

I assume, if you are visiting, you have adequate travel insurance from the UK.

Be aware that a stipulation of most travel insurance is that you do not fly after 28 weeks. Otherwise, your travel insurance should cover you for any emergency treatment you require, though not the costs associated with a "normal" term birth.

The sensible option is to come home as soon as possible, to be honest.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose you could get lucky and your husband's company could have an 'open enrolment' window at some point in the next few months. Or would you permanently moving here be a chance for him to add you (citing the fact that you were not officially living together before)?
Is his insurance through work?
Old May 7th 2008, 7:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tracy
?? When will this be? You do not have your immigrant visa yet?

When was your husband planning on adding you to his insurance? Your immigration date may be considered a 'qualifying event'---get him to ask.
Old May 7th 2008, 8:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tracy

Isn't that what you would have to do in any case? Your husband may have filed the I-130 for you but you did say you are here "visiting" and a I-130 in process does not give you the legal right to remain here after your VWP expires.

BTW if you just found yourself pregnant then you husband will be able to add you at the beginning of 2009.
Old May 7th 2008, 8:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently waiting for my "green card" to be processed etc. etc. Filed I-130 and subsequently DS3032 etc.
I know it's off the topic you are looking for, but just to let you know, you're not currently waiting for your "green card" to be processed. You're waiting for your immigrant visa to be processed.

I hope you can work something out to get on your husband's insurance soon!

Rene
Old May 7th 2008, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
?? When will this be? You do not have your immigrant visa yet?

When was your husband planning on adding you to his insurance? Your immigration date may be considered a 'qualifying event'---get him to ask.
Baby is due in Dec, but I am planning to come back for another 3 months after this visit. The officer at POE said there wouldn't be a problem when I asked him.
Old May 7th 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Won't you need to be in the UK once the visa is issued? What if you are past the flying dates (36 weeks at the very latest and that's with a doctor's note) by then? Are you going to be leaving enough time between the end of this trip and your next trip (supposed to spend as much time out as in) to be able to use the vwp and still make the flying dates?
Also to think about - if a complication arises that prevents you from being able to leave the country you will go into vwp overstay...
Old May 7th 2008, 8:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Baby is due in Dec, but I am planning to come back for another 3 months after this visit. The officer at POE said there wouldn't be a problem when I asked him.
You might want to re-think coming back for another 3 months after this visit. What months would those be? Don't forget you'll need to be back in the UK to submit your checklist, get your medical done, and attend the interview. What if you have complications (heaven forbid) here during those next months, and can't get back to the UK? I personally would stay back in the UK after this trip, just in case anything happens, you will be in your home country and be able to get your visa on time.

Just my thoughts.
Rene
Old May 7th 2008, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just because that POE officer said it wouldn't be a problem does NOT mean that the next one wouldn't feel differently.

Plus.. if the next POE officer sees a pregnant wife (if he can tell at that point) he might be even more unlikely to believe you would return to the UK - and hence deny you entry.

Or.... the POE officer could be afraid your condition might prevent you from returning to the UK.

Sounds very iffy and scary to me....