British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   medical insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/medical-insurance-500389/)

wisewol Dec 17th 2007 10:58 pm

medical insurance

We now have the family based visa (I130) and am looking at the different policies. What do others have as 'normal' medical maximums? $100,000 seems very high but reading some threads it seems low.

Seven Corners has an Immigrant insurance package that we are looking at. Anyone had experience of this policy? Other recommendations would also be welcome.

Titchski Dec 17th 2007 11:09 pm

Re: medical insurance

Is the $100,000 for a lifetime maximum? If so that is most definitely NOT high! :eek:

wisewol Dec 17th 2007 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Titchski (Post 5678746)
Is the $100,000 for a lifetime maximum? If so that is most definitely NOT high! :eek:

Dont know will have to take another look at the policy now :ohmy: what would most people go with then ?

NC Penguin Dec 17th 2007 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by wisewol (Post 5678716)
We now have the family based visa (I130) and am looking at the different policies. What do others have as 'normal' medical maximums? $100,000 seems very high but reading some threads it seems low.

Seven Corners has an Immigrant insurance package that we are looking at. Anyone had experience of this policy? Other recommendations would also be welcome.

Do you or your spouse not get health insurance through your respective employers?

Thydney Dec 18th 2007 12:08 am

100k omg that wouldn't last a good accident out it costs at least 1k to visit the ER if you make your own way there

Duncan Roberts Dec 18th 2007 1:20 am

I've seen many claims that are double that or more, and they were only for one date of service. Personally, this year my claims for medical and prescriptions have been about 60% of that. Thankfully I've "only" had to pay around 10% of that number, probably a little less. My ER visit and 15 hour stay in the hospital was billed at $6500 all told.

Bluegrass Lass Dec 18th 2007 2:28 am

For several companies that I've worked for, I've seen $1million for a lifetime maximum. IMHO, that is the absolute minimum to accept as a lifetime max payout, but that will depend on your family's health and any pre-existing conditions. If anyone in your family has pre-existing conditions, try to get this payout as high as possible.

Elvira Dec 18th 2007 2:32 am

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 5679109)
For several companies that I've worked for, I've seen $1million for a lifetime maximum. IMHO, that is the absolute minimum to accept as a lifetime max payout, but that will depend on your family's health and any pre-existing conditions. If anyone has a pre-existing conditions, try to get this limit higher.

Wasn't there a little baby who had maxed out her lifetime max of 1 million before her first birthday...

lansbury Dec 18th 2007 2:41 am

The life time max on our insurance is $2 million each. When we got ours that seemed to be about the normal with some more expensive ones being $5 million life time max.

Giantaxe Dec 18th 2007 6:19 am

Originally Posted by wisewol (Post 5678767)
Dont know will have to take another look at the policy now :ohmy: what would most people go with then ?

Unlimited, if possible. $100k is peanuts in relation to medical costs, btw. One serious illness and you'll be bankrupt.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 18th 2007 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 5679691)
Unlimited, if possible. $100k is peanuts in relation to medical costs, btw. One serious illness and you'll be bankrupt.

I know somebody who blew through $350,000, and that was not what I would think was serious.

wisewol Dec 18th 2007 6:46 am

Have just checked the policy and its an annual maximum payout per injury. As we dont have a job quite yet we need to take our own cover to get us started.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 18th 2007 7:03 am

Originally Posted by wisewol (Post 5679747)
Have just checked the policy and its an annual maximum payout per injury. As we dont have a job quite yet we need to take our own cover to get us started.

Tryng to remember what is the norm under UK Travel Policies, GBP5m rings a bell.

It's the big numbers you need to watch.

Michigan Man Jan 13th 2008 2:17 am

I hate to pee in your porridge but you have to plan for the worst, when you are healthy insurance seems an expense you don't need so you try to jeep costs down. I was lucky when I was diagnosed with cancer that I had a good coverage with my company. 100K was blown in the first few months with radiation and chemo etc. I realize that this doesn't happen to a lot of people, but allso realize that when yo insurance runs out the costs then come out of your pocket.....

lj2 Jan 14th 2008 1:01 pm

Slight follow on question - I am gonna be over very soon, and was thinking that if my medical insurance maxes out at the $1m (or whatever it may be) limit, I would have to head back home and say goodbye to my US life. Am I basically right?