British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   MEDICAL help needed please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/medical-help-needed-please-659313/)

lansbury Mar 14th 2010 8:24 pm

Re: MEDICAL help needed please

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 8419477)
I wonder if Florida has a high risk pool for people who have been denied coverage. Might be an option.

Yes but it is not open to new enrollees

http://healthinsuranceinfo.net/manag...ools-chart.htm

Mummy in the foothills Mar 14th 2010 8:26 pm

I don't think it's the E2 visa stopping you getting cover it's the preexisting conditions. Floridas high risk pool is closed to new enrollment.
Work insurance seems the way to go if you can get the company you work for to buy you insurance.

John STE Mar 14th 2010 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 8419506)
I don't think it's the E2 visa stopping you getting cover it's the preexisting conditions. Floridas high risk pool is closed to new enrollment.
Work insurance seems the way to go if you can get the company you work for to buy you insurance.

work insurance ? how does that work ?
thanks !

Bob Mar 14th 2010 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by John STE (Post 8419611)
work insurance ? how does that work ?
thanks !

company buys insurance, offer it to employees....employees have insurance, it's what we were all talking about earlier....companies can get better rates especially if they have x number of employees.

John STE Mar 14th 2010 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8419643)
company buys insurance, offer it to employees....employees have insurance, it's what we were all talking about earlier....companies can get better rates especially if they have x number of employees.

oh
well the company has only 1 employee
i guess that wont work
thanks

Bob Mar 14th 2010 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by John STE (Post 8419647)
oh
i guess that wont work
thanks

Like I said though, depending on the type of business, there might be a chamber of commerce which offer group rates to local businesses which the company could get insurance through at a group rate.

John STE Mar 14th 2010 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8419695)
Like I said though, depending on the type of business, there might be a chamber of commerce which offer group rates to local businesses which the company could get insurance through at a group rate.

thanks rob
will look into that also
john

Mummy in the foothills Mar 14th 2010 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by John STE (Post 8419647)
oh
i guess that wont work
thanks

Dh worked for a company that had three employees, him and the two owners, they got Kaiser for the three of them plus families, didn't cost us anything for the monthly premium we paid $20 each time we went to the doctor and $20 for each prescription, I had two babies while were on that insurance.

Jscl Mar 15th 2010 1:27 am

Small business health insurance is almost always for 2-50 employees. Are you the owner of this business, John? If so are you thinking of or can you afford to employ someone else in some role which would get you to the minimum of two people?

My guess is that you will not be able to find private (non-business) comprehensive insurance that will cover you both, given your pre-existing conditions. We tried to get some once in CA and my husband was denied because of his height/weight ratio, and he's not unusually overweight. They are very cautious of who they cover because their business is to make money, not spend it.

Even with small business coverage they quite often have pre-existing condition clauses for a number of months when you first start your plan, so you might have to wait six months before your current conditions are covered.

Such is the joy of US healthcare. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

The Horticulturalist Mar 15th 2010 3:28 am

try sevencorners.com, can't tell you if they will cover the preexisting conditions you have, but they did cover my son with a pre-existing condition.

Jscl Mar 15th 2010 3:49 am

Another option if nothing works out, if your situation and visa allows your wife to work there are some employers who offer health insurance for part time jobs. Her coverage could then cover you.

The Horticulturalist Mar 15th 2010 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Jscl (Post 8420158)
Another option if nothing works out, if your situation and visa allows your wife to work there are some employers who offer health insurance for part time jobs. Her coverage could then cover you.

I'd concur with that, you'd need to make sure it was with an employee large enought to offer group coverage.

Fawny Mar 15th 2010 11:27 am

Hi, I arrived 18 months ago with Type 1 diabetes. I landed up opening a small business with a friend & we employ 1 part timer. I'm in NC so I use Blue Cross/Blue Shield. No cover for a year on my Pre Existing, So I have just only started to use my insurance now. I have to pay the first $3,500 and then it kicks in 100%. Test strips are the biggest shocker $148 for 150.
Good luck, hope you get on OK with it all.

Rete Mar 15th 2010 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Fawny (Post 8420856)
Test strips are the biggest shocker $148 for 150.
Good luck, hope you get on OK with it all.

Have the company look into participating in a Flex Spending Plan. Tax free money is deducted from your paycheck and held in an account to be reimbursed to you for out of pocket medical costs. You designate the amount you want withheld over a one year period and it is taken out in equal increments over the year. This can include your deductible as well. It covers all your testing materials, any over the counter meds, i.e. cough syrups, aspirin, etc.

As for your test strips, I buy mine on E-bay or sometimes through an on-line pharmacy for a lower cost.

lansbury Mar 15th 2010 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Fawny (Post 8420856)
Test strips are the biggest shocker $148 for 150.

Take a look and see if they are cheaper here.

http://www.store4diabetics.com/