British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   MEDICAL help needed please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/medical-help-needed-please-659313/)

John STE Mar 14th 2010 5:46 pm

MEDICAL help needed please

hi there
thanks for looking
we are a married couple here in florida with E2 visa, my wife (canadian) and myself (british). just got here 8 weeks ago.
we married in florida almost 2 years ago.
we cannot find anybody to give us medical insurance here because we dont have social security and/or history here.
can anybody tell us where we can get medical insurance ?
greatly appreciated
thank you
john

PS, i have diabetes and my wife has thyroid.

chrisfromusa Mar 14th 2010 5:50 pm

Re: MEDICAL help needed please

Originally Posted by John STE (Post 8419285)
hi there
thanks for looking
we are a married couple here in florida with E2 visa, my wife (canadian) and myself (british). just got here 8 weeks ago.
we married in florida almost 2 years ago.
we cannot find anybody to give us medical insurance here because we dont have social security and/or history here.
can anybody tell us where we can get medical insurance ?
greatly appreciated
thank you
john

PS, i have diabetes and my wife has thyroid.

Both if you are not living in Florida right? Have you thought about travel medical insurance from your home countries?

John STE Mar 14th 2010 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa (Post 8419299)
Both if you are not living in Florida right? Have you thought about travel medical insurance from your home countries?

hi there
medical insurance isnt an option, there are limits to the stay-time in the US and if we go over that the policy invalidates.
so we cant use travel insurance
thanks

penguinsix Mar 14th 2010 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by John STE (Post 8419317)
hi there
medical insurance isnt an option, there are limits to the stay-time in the US and if we go over that the policy invalidates.
so we cant use travel insurance
thanks

Travel insurance is not an option long term but it might be worth considering to just to get you settled / prevent against a mega disaster. We had a thread recently where someone kept putting it off and putting it off and wham, someone fell off a ladder and had $400,000 in medical bills in less than a week. Even if only for a month it's better than nothing.

Can your 'company' or 'business' purchase medical insurance for the 'employees' (i.e. you). Buying it through the business might be easier than buying individually, and you can get an Tax ID number that might suffice.

Have you gone through http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/? Good way to browse policies.

John STE Mar 14th 2010 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 8419327)
Travel insurance is not an option long term but it might be worth considering to just to get you settled / prevent against a mega disaster. We had a thread recently where someone kept putting it off and putting it off and wham, someone fell off a ladder and had $400,000 in medical bills in less than a week. Even if only for a month it's better than nothing.

Can your 'company' or 'business' purchase medical insurance for the 'employees' (i.e. you). Buying it through the business might be easier than buying individually, and you can get an Tax ID number that might suffice.

Have you gone through http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/? Good way to browse policies.

HI THERE
it doesnt work im afraid, tried it with barclays
the fact that we will be here for more than the 31 day max timeframe means we dont even qualify for the policy.

we need to somehow find out from a proven source that somebody has actually got medical insurance as a UK citizen on E2 - and who with, so we can go to them also.

the E2 company cannot get medical either.

thank you

Bob Mar 14th 2010 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by John STE (Post 8419342)
we need to somehow find out from a proven source that somebody has actually got medical insurance as a UK citizen on E2 - and who with, so we can go to them also.

the E2 company cannot get medical either.

einsurance link above, people use that to find policies....might not be cheap, might be shit, but it's something.

What's the company? There not some kind of local business commerce group the company could join to get business rates for insurance, which you'd then get as an employee?

Anyway, hindsight being what it is, didn't you look any of this up before thinking of moving what with having medical issues?

John STE Mar 14th 2010 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8419368)
einsurance link above, people use that to find policies....might not be cheap, might be shit, but it's something.

What's the company? There not some kind of local business commerce group the company could join to get business rates for insurance, which you'd then get as an employee?

Anyway, hindsight being what it is, didn't you look any of this up before thinking of moving what with having medical issues?

thanks rob
didnt think it would be an issue, pay and get cover is what we thought.
will try 'above' meanwhile if anybody has actual factual experience and has gotten medical here in the US please let me know where.
thanks

lansbury Mar 14th 2010 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by John STE (Post 8419375)
thanks rob
didnt think it would be an issue, pay and get cover is what we thought.
will try 'above' meanwhile if anybody has actual factual experience and has gotten medical here in the US please let me know where.
thanks

My wife is a US citizen and has diabetes. When we came back from the UK to live in the US she couldn't get medical cover on that ground alone. It is only that Oregon State has its own medical insurance for those people who can afford to pay but who the insurance companies will not touch that she got cover. Albeit at 125% of the normal rate.

fatbrit Mar 14th 2010 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by John STE (Post 8419285)
we dont have social security and/or history here.

I don't understand. E2s can get a social security number.

John STE Mar 14th 2010 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 8419397)
I don't understand. E2s can get a social security number.

yes but thats only part of the problem.
even if i get it tomorrow i still cant get medical
thanks

Jerseygirl Mar 14th 2010 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 8419327)

If they were to make a claim the insurance company may not pay because they are not travelling or on holiday...they are living in the US.

jayde Mar 14th 2010 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8419421)
If they were to make a claim the insurance company may not pay because they are not travelling or on holiday...they are living in the US.

I was in the same boat and the company I have catastrophic insurance with is <http://www.sevencorners.com/>

dont know if it is what you want but I hope it works for you, the health care industry here is a minefield. A simple hospital stay for heart arrythmia without any surgery and few tests for hubby cost something like $20,000, recently

hope this helps

John STE Mar 14th 2010 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by jayde (Post 8419431)
I was in the same boat and the company I have catastrophic insurance with is <http://www.sevencorners.com/>

dont know if it is what you want but I hope it works for you, the health care industry here is a minefield. A simple hospital stay for heart arrythmia without any surgery and few tests for hubby cost something like $20,000, recently

hope this helps

thank you, will call them
definitely need comprehensive medical though........
john

fatbrit Mar 14th 2010 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by John STE (Post 8419446)
thank you, will call them
definitely need comprehensive medical though........
john

Catastrophic cover is often a cost-effective solution to the nightmare that is US health insurance.

penguinsix Mar 14th 2010 8:06 pm

I wonder if Florida has a high risk pool for people who have been denied coverage. Might be an option.