Solutions
0%
Suggestions
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Medical/Health Insurance

Old Mar 6th 2021, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical/Health Insurance

Originally Posted by Boiler

Most people at your age I have come across are parents sponsored by children who have no discernable income it seems and sign up for Medicaid, seems there is an exception that allows you to do that but it is supposedly income based.

How does this work? Thought the whole point of sponsoring was that the sponsor was responsible for the immigrant and had to show adequate income to do so. Seems totally unfair that an immigrant goes onto Medicaid - paid for in part by tax payers....

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Mar 6th 2021 at 6:00 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2021, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Does not sound too much out of the ball park for individual health policy. Prior to us going onto Medicare hubby and I were paying over a $1k per month and that was on a company plan. Costs keep going up as you get older.
Note that premiums are only the first cost - most policies have deductibles, co pays for any treatment you have.

You can only shop around - try your State's Exchange as well as individual health companies.

After 5 years in the country you could possibly buy into Medicare - with Part A, B, C and any supplementary policies that could set you back $700 or so a month .
OP says "very good pensions" and spouse is "retired". So it's possible that their combined income from a combination of pensions, state pension and US SS is over the ACA subsidy limit ($64k?) for a couple. But they should be able to find a policy there even with no subsidy as they can't refuse to insure you because of age. So the exchange for whatever state they are going to be living in is certainly where I'd start. I'm guesstimating a policy even with a high deductible (c$6.7k per annum) will cost around $1k per month.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 7th 2021 at 5:46 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2021, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

imacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond reputeimacd has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend you visit the Govt Medicare website and look around there for a while. I know they have an "Eligibility & Premium calculator" which may prove particularly useful.

If I recall correctly, if ones wife qualifies (10 years or 40 quarters working in the US) and is on Medicare, then her spouse will also be eligible through her record. This may certainly be worth looking into in your case?
Old Mar 7th 2021, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by imacd
I would recommend you visit the Govt Medicare website and look around there for a while. I know they have an "Eligibility & Premium calculator" which may prove particularly useful.

If I recall correctly, if ones wife qualifies (10 years or 40 quarters working in the US) and is on Medicare, then her spouse will also be eligible through her record. This may certainly be worth looking into in your case?
I think you do recall correctly. A new immigrant, being married to a US citizen might make all the difference. The new immigrant, could get Medicare based on the spouse's contributions. Think need to be married for at least a year though...

https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare...estion_75.html