Suggestions
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Medical/Health Insurance

Old Mar 6th 2021, 6:58 am
Just Joined

MikeSwirles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical/Health Insurance

Following a successful k1 and marriage, I will need health or medical insurance, every company I have contacted either don't insure over 65's or send me very high quote costs, I will be 67 years of age and any advice will be appreciated.
ThanksMike
Old Mar 6th 2021, 7:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical/Health Insurance

Hi, welcome to BE.

When you say ‘very high quote costs’, what kind of figure are we talking? Those in the know will be able to tell you if you’re likely to get it any cheaper or will just have to suck it up.

Will you be working at all?
Old Mar 6th 2021, 7:49 am
Just Joined

I will not be working as I have very good pensions that can be paid into US bank account. Quotes around 27k
Old Mar 6th 2021, 8:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why this thread is a poll, or even what the poll question is supposed to be?
Old Mar 6th 2021, 9:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeSwirles View Post
I will not be working as I have very good pensions that can be paid into US bank account. Quotes around 27k
A month or a year? If a year, that sounds about on a par with other figures I’ve seen. Is there no way you can be added to your spouses insurance?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I don't understand why this thread is a poll, or even what the poll question is supposed to be?
I think the OP posted it in error. I’ll see if I can remove it.

Edit: if I can, I’ve no idea how to.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 6th 2021 at 9:35 am.
Old Mar 6th 2021, 10:22 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly, this is something you should have been aware of going in. The US private insurance sector is simply not set up to handle Over 65s, because the expectation is that they will be Medicare eligible.

As you have seen, high costs are the result. You are in an age range where significant long term health issues, all of which cost a fortune to manage in the US, are inevitable. The insurer must protect itself.

And you're going to pay through the nose to get anyone to touch you.
Old Mar 6th 2021, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

I've not moved yet, this was all part of finding out costs to see if its feasible or what options I had
Old Mar 6th 2021, 12:39 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I took the sentence ‘following a successful K1 and marriage’ to mean that both had already been completed.

Does your soon-to-be spouse work?
Old Mar 6th 2021, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

No also retired
Old Mar 6th 2021, 12:52 pm
Often not so civil...

I don’t envy you that choice. What ever you do will cost you a fortune, unless you change your plans and the spouse moves to the UK. Residency is the only requirement to access the NHS.
Old Mar 6th 2021, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bit back to front.

Anyway you are where you are.

This is of course a moving target and who knows what the future before, Medicare for All has been talked about but would not hold my breath.

Presumably your fiance has Medicare, which you can not be added to.

So go to your State Insurance Exchange and see what is available to you, I would imagine a very basic plan would be $500 or so a month. Then you have to allow for deductibles etc.

Most people at your age I have come across are parents sponsored by children who have no discernable income it seems and sign up for Medicaid, seems there is an exception that allows you to do that but it is supposedly income based.

After 5 years you can buy into Medicaid, maybe currently $600 pm I think, maybe less currently, 5 years who knows.

Old Mar 6th 2021, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

Sort of assume you have yet to have your K1 interview.
Old Mar 6th 2021, 2:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Bit back to front.

Anyway you are where you are.

This is of course a moving target and who knows what the future before, Medicare for All has been talked about but would not hold my breath.

Presumably your fiance has Medicare, which you can not be added to.

So go to your State Insurance Exchange and see what is available to you, I would imagine a very basic plan would be $500 or so a month. Then you have to allow for deductibles etc.

Most people at your age I have come across are parents sponsored by children who have no discernable income it seems and sign up for Medicaid, seems there is an exception that allows you to do that but it is supposedly income based.

After 5 years you can buy into Medicaid, maybe currently $600 pm I think, maybe less currently, 5 years who knows.
How do you buy into Medicaid. Don't you mean Medicare?
Old Mar 6th 2021, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

I know you can get Medicaid over 65 as a new immigrant in some States, California for example. most require 5 years presence but does not sound OP would qualify.

Medicare. well currently seems better to buy through the Exchange but YMMV

Old Mar 6th 2021, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeSwirles View Post
Does not sound too much out of the ball park for individual health policy. Prior to us going onto Medicare hubby and I were paying over a $1k per month and that was on a company plan. Costs keep going up as you get older.
Note that premiums are only the first cost - most policies have deductibles, co pays for any treatment you have.

You can only shop around - try your State's Exchange as well as individual health companies.

After 5 years in the country you could possibly buy into Medicare - with Part A, B, C and any supplementary policies that could set you back $700 or so a month .

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Mar 6th 2021 at 5:22 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.