Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical "emergency" for Canadian visitor

Medical "emergency" for Canadian visitor

Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

nicorify is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical "emergency" for Canadian visitor

A close relative of mine is 60+ years old and a Canadian citizen. He has advanced cancer and is receiving treatment here (in California). He is in no shape to travel and is living with us (one of my parents is his sibling). His tourist visa expired at the end of December and he was too sick to even think about renewing it. I just learned about the situation.

What is the best way to proceed here? We want him to be able to stay indefinitely (as long as treatment is needed). How should we deal with the lapsed visa? He was on a B-2. Any advice will really be appreciated!
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical "emergency" for Canadian visitor

File an I-539 and provide the reason along with proof, for an extension of his visa. Sorry to hear that he and you are in this position.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

He's obviously in a legal pickle. I think the only sensible way forward is to speak to a local immigration attorney - one who could visit him in person if necessary.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both for the response & sympathies! He has a letter from his Oncologist (extremely reputed hospital) that says he needs to stay here indefinitely. The condition is quite serious. I am looking at an I-539 now. What should I put down for 2b. "The change of status I am requesting is:"? This has a long list of categories but nothing that is obviously for Medical Care. Should he just apply to extend his B-2? I see a couple of categories called CH (Parolee: Humanitarian-HQ Auth) and IN (Indefinite Parole).

Thank you so much!
Old Mar 17th 2016, 10:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, for now just extend his B2 visitor status. Speak to an immigration lawyer about any paths available toward staying indefinitely. ..that would have to involve him having a basis for becoming a US Permanent Resident.

Rene
Old Mar 17th 2016, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

He is applying to extend in the status he already has - so No1. only. This form is also used for people to move from one status to another. My husband used it to move from H-1B to B-2 a while ago.
Once it is submitted it may take a while to process but our lawyer said he was Okay (whatever that means!) once it had been submitted. He requested 6 months. It took 4 months to approve. We did the application and the letter ourselves. A consultation with an attorney would be a good idea for best way to request an indefinite stay. Good luck.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 11:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

He will be in status as long as the request for extension is pending.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Thank you all so much for your help, Orangepants, Noorah, Rete & Pulaski! I am filling out the form to file to extend his B2 now!
Old Mar 18th 2016, 12:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Canadians didn't need a visa to visit the USA, though. How did he end up with a B2 visa?

Rene
Old Mar 18th 2016, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Good question and I wonder why I didn't think of it myself until you asked. So I just asked him now. He said that they asked him why he was visiting when he last flew in and then stamped his passport with the B2. He does not know why and didn't ask them.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 2:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So his status expired in December?

He can not extend status if he is not in status.

Does he have anyone to petition for him, just wondering how he is affording the treatment?
Old Mar 18th 2016, 5:34 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Your friend is out of status which opens up a new can of worms. There are exceptions but generally it's like "I was in a coma for a week" not "I was too busy for three months".

I would seriously recommend a professional in this situation. I don't think it is DIY since they are out of status and you are basically pleading for a special exception.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I would want to be sure that he has some way to pay his medical bills while in the USA, otherwise his care could get cut short, leaving him in an even worse position. I'd imagine that any travel insurance that he had (if any) has since lapsed or run out.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
Also, I would want to be sure that he has some way to pay his medical bills while in the USA, otherwise his care could get cut short, leaving him in an even worse position. I'd imagine that any travel insurance that he had (if any) has since lapsed or run out.
Would not cover this and to the extent he was in an emergent situation the focus on would have been getting him home.

Costs mus be six figures by now. Wonder who is paying?
Old Mar 20th 2016, 4:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe he is? Its not unheard of for wealthier Canadians to seek treatment in the US and self pay even for pricey treatments.

Originally Posted by Boiler
Would not cover this and to the extent he was in an emergent situation the focus on would have been getting him home.

Costs mus be six figures by now. Wonder who is paying?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.