Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical cover

Medical cover

Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Funky Chicken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical cover

Ok, so now I am paniking. I am due to go out to Atlanta with my family on the 7th of November for 2 years. Everything is sorted except for the medical cover. My company is just not dealing with this properly

There are a couple of complications:

My son had a fit at the beginning of the year. He has had lots of tests in the UK and the reason is undiagnosed and will not be investigated any further. This was dione under the NSH. Clearly I need to declare this - what I need to know is will it be covered?

My wife has an ongoing medical condition that requires regular medication. Again this was done under the NHS. Will this be covered.

While I understand that you folks probably cant give me a difinitive answer, I am keen to understand your experiences.

Chris.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 10:11 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical cover

Originally Posted by Funky Chicken
Ok, so now I am paniking. I am due to go out to Atlanta with my family on the 7th of November for 2 years. Everything is sorted except for the medical cover. My company is just not dealing with this properly

My son had a fit at the beginning of the year. He has had lots of tests in the UK and the reason is undiagnosed and will not be investigated any further. This was dione under the NSH. Clearly I need to declare this - what I need to know is will it be covered?

My wife has an ongoing medical condition that requires regular medication. Again this was done under the NHS. Will this be covered.

While I understand that you folks probably cant give me a difinitive answer, I am keen to understand your experiences.

Chris.
Ouch

I suggest you contact the HR department at the company

health insurance companies in the USA are a scam and will try to deny ANYTHING especially pre-existing conditions

I hope you have a good income (and by good I mean can potentially absorb thousands of dollars a year in your own costs)
Old Oct 21st 2005, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

Chris.
Hi Funky Chicken,,If you are getting health coverage from your employer, then you will be coverd for Pre-Existing conditions.Are they just not confirming that you have health cover. ??
You need to ask them which Health Provider they use,but generally if Health Care is provided then you should be ok.
Redlobster
Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Funky Chicken is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by redlobster
Hi Funky Chicken,,If you are getting health coverage from your employer, then you will be coverd for Pre-Existing conditions.Are they just not confirming that you have health cover. ??
You need to ask them which Health Provider they use,but generally if Health Care is provided then you should be ok.
Redlobster
Thanks for the reply. I got rather shirty with my employer and told them it was all off unless they sort it out today. All of a sudden all the problems went away
Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the reply. I got rather shirty with my employer and told them it was all off unless they sort it out today. All of a sudden all the problems went away
Amazing dont you think.We have been over here 11 months and the hoops we have jumped through.
We found that the louder you shout the more they listen.
Sad but true..
Redlobster
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:44 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redlobster
Hi Funky Chicken,,If you are getting health coverage from your employer, then you will be coverd for Pre-Existing conditions.
Nope - this is incorrect

My wife works for the state, and until i could show a certificate of coverage from my previous employer and they could verify that it was not a pre-existing condition, they refused to pay ANY of my bill

blue cross blue shield rot in hell
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Nope - this is incorrect

My wife works for the state, and until i could show a certificate of coverage from my previous employer and they could verify that it was not a pre-existing condition, they refused to pay ANY of my bill

blue cross blue shield rot in hell
Indeed....

OP...in which case you'll probably want to look at COBRA and after bleeding out of your arse from the shock of the premiums, you should be all sorted until the medical kicks in...as some places you have to be with them for certain length of time before pre-existing conditions get covered and all that...so look at the small print, and do it again to see really what is covered.