Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical checkup

Wikiposts

Medical checkup

Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical checkup

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My in-laws are always complaining that they usually have to wait a week for an appointment. I suppose it depends what is deemed as an 'emergency'. When we lived in the UK our doctor was great...he would always make time for you in an emergency. The trouble is most of the small traditional surgeries have now been incorporated into large clinics. All you get is an electronic message and menu...it is almost impossible to speak to a human. When you do the person isn't familiar with you and lacks sympathy and understanding. I find this to be the case here as well as the UK.

Exactly. It's impossible to generalise as it's all postcode/zipcode/insurance plan specific, and the posts on this site teach us that (amongst other things) and the importance of finding what works for our individual situation. I had a wonderful GP in the UK and then we moved...and had horrible problems. We went from a practice of 15 doctors/15,000 patients (big budget/lots of capacity) to a 2 doctor practice that was really struggling.

When we moved here we asked more questions and put a lot of effort into finding a practice that would work for us. For example, if one is an 'established' patient, that is has registered and met with the GP during a 'meet and greet' (as they call it) to review history, maintenance meds, etc, then one is guaranteed same day appts. It may be with a doctor other than the PCP, but they guarantee an appt. They have walk-in from 8-9 each morning for children, which is also helpful as I've young ones. For those who are not established, waiting can be up to a week. I guess a lot of people list one of the doctors as a PCP but don't officially register, and so they don't get immediate appts.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:58 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Is that really an actual law? My surgery didn't hold any emergency appts. I waited 2 weeks to get my child in for asthma/pneumonia--went to a walk-in and then paid for private in the meantime. Our surgery was standard 2-3 week or go to A&E.
my bessie mate in the uk is a practice manager in surrey and i was with her last week and she was updating me on the NHS practices and she confirmed it with me. call your surgery and check it out. especially for children and asthma that's pretty serious, can't leave that until another day.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
my bessie mate in the uk is a practice manager in surrey and i was with her last week and she was updating me on the NHS practices and she confirmed it with me. call your surgery and check it out. especially for children and asthma that's pretty serious, can't leave that until another day.

That's good. We're over here now, so it's no longer an issue for us, but glad to know it's being addressed.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

That's good. We're over here now, so it's no longer an issue for us, but glad to know it's being addressed.
oh ok i wasn't too sure if you were here or there...
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Unbelievable. I just called my Dr's office to schedule my annual physical which I have about this time every year, only to be told I cant be seen until Jan 15th NEXT YEAR!!!
I'm so glad we pay $$$$ for insurance in this country,
Rob
Well look on the bright side. What if you managed to get an appointment for your physical sometime before the end of this year and the doctor finds something he is concerned about and sends you to the hospital for further testing. You will then have to meet your deductible but then after looking at the results he may decide you need some other tests or maybe a minor procedure and now it is January and a new year and you will have to make another deductible ............so waiting until next year for your physical might not be so bad after all

(I'm sure it wont happen to you anyway and you'll pass your physical with flying colours!)
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
And, of course, if your insurance is like ours, your clock will be reset on January 1st, so you'll 'miss out' on your 2006 physical altogether...
I kind of wonder why anyone would schedule their physical for so late in the calendar year for that very reason.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:48 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I kind of wonder why anyone would schedule their physical for so late in the calendar year for that very reason.

NC Penguin
Cos I never had this problem before. Ive always been seen within a few weeks. I hate having to pay massive amounts of dosh to insurance companies, then pay large deductibles, only to be told I cant be seen by a ROBOT!!!
Have a nice day!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Is that really an actual law? My surgery didn't hold any emergency appts. I waited 2 weeks to get my child in for asthma/pneumonia--went to a walk-in and then paid for private in the meantime. Our surgery was standard 2-3 week or go to A&E.
AFAIK the law (UK) is that patients have to be offered an appointment within 2 days.

And believe they still do home visits.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK the law (UK) is that patients have to be offered an appointment within 2 days.

And believe they still do home visits.
The doctor always visits mum at home because she is 86 and is no longer mobile. He called this week to give her the Flu shot.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:38 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

The doctor always visits mum at home because she is 86 and is no longer mobile. He called this week to give her the Flu shot.
I don't now what I would have done without home visits when I suffered a billiary colic in the middle of the night when my (premature) twins were only 3 weeks old. If it had happened here, I expect my husband would have had to drive me to an ER... :scared: One of our GPs arrived within half an hour (at 2 in the morning!) to give me an injection.

If only people inthe UK realised how lucky they are to have this service. I hear it is abused at times . How does the song go: "you don't know what you’ve got til it's gone; they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't now what I would have done without home visits when I suffered a billiary colic in the middle of the night when my (premature) twins were only 3 weeks old. If it had happened here, I expect my husband would have had to drive me to an ER... :scared: One of our GPs arrived within half an hour (at 2 in the morning!) to give me an injection.

If only people inthe UK realised how lucky they are to have this service. I hear it is abused at times . How does the song go: "you don't know what you’ve got til it's gone; they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"
That's great--glad you had good support from your GP, esp with two little ones. My docs here do home visits--esp when a pregnancy is involved. Since moving here we have been very fortunate and I am grateful every day because of it. My OB does actual internal exams (after my going 30+ years and 2 pregnancies without one) and potentially saved the life of me and my youngest by catching a problem early in my pregnancy. How awful to think I could have lost my child, all because UK doctors send women off to a midwife without any internal exams, routine bloodtests, etc. My eldest no longer has asthma trouble, as she receives medicine that works for her, not the NICE baseline that doesn't help her. She is thriving. It's a relief to pay a health care premium instead of an extra tax and private care bills, as it's the first time in 2 years that everyone is consistently healthy.

The NHS is a wonderful system in premise, but there needs to be some consistency across the trusts. Once that is overhauled, it will be brilliant again.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's great--glad you had good support from your GP, esp with two little ones. My docs here do home visits--esp when a pregnancy is involved. Since moving here we have been very fortunate and I am grateful every day because of it. My OB does actual internal exams (after my going 30+ years and 2 pregnancies without one) and potentially saved the life of me and my youngest by catching a problem early in my pregnancy. How awful to think I could have lost my child, all because UK doctors send women off to a midwife without any internal exams, routine bloodtests, etc. My eldest no longer has asthma trouble, as she receives medicine that works for her, not the NICE baseline that doesn't help her. She is thriving. It's a relief to pay a health care premium instead of an extra tax and private care bills, as it's the first time in 2 years that everyone is consistently healthy.

The NHS is a wonderful system in premise, but there needs to be some consistency across the trusts. Once that is overhauled, it will be brilliant again.

LOL I was going to post earlier that my doctor here does home visits but thought no one would believe me.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

LOL I was going to post earlier that my doctor here does home visits but thought no one would believe me.

It's another example of how there are so many variables at play: location, GP personality/ethics, insurance plan, postcode, etc.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It's another example of how there are so many variables at play: location, GP personality/ethics, insurance plan, postcode, etc.
Quite...and pros and cons for both US and UK systems.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Quite and pros and cons for both US and UK systems.
Definitely! All we do is try to do what's right for us, and hope that one day there is more consistency, in both countries, so that everyone receives a superior level of care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.