Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical bills... Did hospital forget.. ?

Medical bills... Did hospital forget.. ?

Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Diabolo will become famous soon enoughDiabolo will become famous soon enough
Default Medical bills... Did hospital forget.. ?

We just had a large medical bill. Around $4000 after insurance.

Its been 6 months. Small bills from doctors external to the hospital have sent it to me and i have paid them. Also i have recived one small bill from the hospital. So they know my address and everything.

They haven't send the large bill (Around $3000). Did they forget or a system glitch. I don't want to call them since i need time anyway to pay such large amount.

What do I do ?
Am i responsible eventhough they didn't send the bill ?
Will me credit rating be affected ?

have anyone faced a similar situation....

Thanks
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:18 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical bills... Did hospital forget.. ?

Originally Posted by Diabolo

Its been 6 months. Small bills from doctors external to the hospital have sent it to me and i have paid them. Also i have recived one small bill from the hospital. So they know my address and everything.

They haven't send the large bill (Around $3000). Did they forget or a system glitch. I don't want to call them since i need time anyway to pay such large amount.

What do I do ?

Thanks
I highly doubt they've forgotten. You're probably just going through the system, medical billing does take a while. I'd be using the time to save up if I were you!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

What do I do ?

Thanks

Or, you could try offering them 2K to settle it today in cash....
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Sarah and Ozzidoc.

I had talked to my insurance and they have sent a check in January.
One of my co-worker faced the same hospital and insurance co . He got it within 2 months ( 2 weeks after the insurance payment).
Thats why i was spectical.

Negotiating for $2000 is a good option. Scared it might speed up my payment.

What if they never send me the bill ?
Have they ever forgotten or written of ??? ..... day dreaming I guess

Last edited by Diabolo; Jun 16th 2006 at 3:45 pm. Reason: Additional details
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:07 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sarah and Ozzidoc.

I had talked to my insurance and they have sent a check in January.
One of my co-worker faced the same hospital and insurance co . He got it within 2 months ( 2 weeks after the insurance payment).
Thats why i was spectical.

Negotiating for $2000 is a good option. Scared it might speed up my payment.

Knowing how screwed up the medical billing systems are, my guess is they have never sent you a bill...but have notified the credit agencies of your failure to satisfy the debt. Or at least that's what happened after the birth of IP jr...insurance paid $12,000, leaving a $400 or so balance, which we kept waiting to get the bill for- and we did, from a f**king collections agency!!!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

It does take a while, but 6 mos seems an awful long time. I would pull your credit report and make sure they havent put it to some debt collector. If so, you can dispute it because you never received the bill. You can get your report free, from each agency, once per year.

As far as the bill itself, as far as I know, if you come to an agreed monthly payment, it will not be reported to the credit agencies (so long as it hasn't already gone). My close friend had no insurance, had a baby and got a bill for $18,500. She called them, they wrote half of it off, and she pays the nine grand off at $100 per month!!!

Similarly, I have bills from a period when I was uninsured, and negotiated payments with them. Have been sending of $10 and $20 a month to a couple and no adverse credit due to them.

Good luck!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ooops...

I will surely check my Credit Report .

Yup screwed up insurance system i guess. I will wait for a couple of months more if my credit report is fine.

Even though i had insurance , my bill came to around $4000.
Do they negotiate on that amount ?
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops...

I will surely check my Credit Report .

Yup screwed up insurance system i guess. I will wait for a couple of months more if my credit report is fine.

Even though i had insurance , my bill came to around $4000.
Do they negotiate on that amount ?
I believe so. Depends on your circumstances I think. Same girl I mentioned before has a lot of medical issues, and even although she has insurance now, she still gets bills because of co-pays. I know she calls every time to discuss part of it being written off, and she is usually successful.

I have heard this many times, but never tried it myself. Perhaps it depends on how much you earn etc.,
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
I believe so. Depends on your circumstances I think. Same girl I mentioned before has a lot of medical issues, and even although she has insurance now, she still gets bills because of co-pays. I know she calls every time to discuss part of it being written off, and she is usually successful.

I have heard this many times, but never tried it myself. Perhaps it depends on how much you earn etc.,
Thanks Lesley

As soon as i receive my $3000 bill , i am going to negotiate and try how far it gets. Also looking for errors in my bill .

Last edited by Diabolo; Jun 16th 2006 at 5:37 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 10:38 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

If your health insurance paid a large part of it, it may be that the contract with the hospital is such that the hospital have to write it off. In our area the contract that Blue Cross have with the local hospitals is that they will pay their part and the hospital write the balance off and cannot claim anything, other than copay, from the patient.

If your health insurance only cover say, 80%, and under the plan you are responsible you may want to find out the actual balance owed. Some hospitals don't bother sending but one or two statements then it's off to the credit bureau.

Negotiating with the hospital works. You could ask them what they will take for cash now lump sum payment. In a lot of cases they will reduce it by 30% or more just to get it paid. A lump sum now at a discount is worth more to them than $5.00 a month for the next however many years.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 11:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Keep an eye on it...a mate of mine was involved in an accident at work, broke his ankle, but for some reason it didn't go down as workers comp and they sent him the bill...thought it all got taken care of, and a year later he got a letter from the hospital saying they were suing for none payment etc and his credit rating got wrecked...he's still sorting it out..
Old Jun 17th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

My darling Kate ..... Who has been in the medical profesion all her life here informs me that no debts for medical treatment can be refered to your credit history by law.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 12:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
My darling Kate ..... Who has been in the medical profesion all her life here informs me that no debts for medical treatment can be refered to your credit history by law.
Darling Kate is wrong them ... Although it may apply in your state ..
Old Jun 17th 2006, 1:40 pm
Guest21

I was also told this that it does not effect your credit history.
As Ray said does anyone know if this applies to just some states ?

My mother inlaw is a Medical/Nursing Officer and she told me that it does not effect your history.

Old Jun 17th 2006, 4:54 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's credit report would beg to differ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.