Medical

Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical

[QUOTE=fatbrit]You're going to be at the couple of grand

thats cheap enough only 2 months medical insurance
Old Mar 9th 2005, 2:20 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Spouse does say that he expects prices will vary around the country so even if you can find a medical for $300.00 it may be basic or dissimilar to my spouse's medical.

NC Penguin

Presumably spouse was using prices Cigna had contracted with local providers? The ECG provider states a standard test is, for example, $400, CIGNA tell contract with them to pay a percentage of this (say $200), and CIGNA just charge your spouse copays and excesses (say $30).

But if you just walk in off the street and say, "give me a test, I'm paying cash," you'll get a bill for $400.

Last edited by fatbrit; Mar 9th 2005 at 2:25 am.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 3:27 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Presumably spouse was using prices Cigna had contracted with local providers? The ECG provider states a standard test is, for example, $400, CIGNA tell contract with them to pay a percentage of this (say $200), and CIGNA just charge your spouse copays and excesses (say $30).

But if you just walk in off the street and say, "give me a test, I'm paying cash," you'll get a bill for $400.
Actually, knowing my spouse's employer, the employer probably negotiated prices with CIGNA. We have no copay for our plan either (it's a PPO if this makes any difference).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 9th 2005, 4:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Only decent thing about the janky arse insurance the missus gets, we are allowed a full medical for free once every 2 years until we reach a certain age, can't remember what it was...and one free dental checkup/clean a year, and eye balls with free len replacement once a year and new frames every two...so i'm definately trying to wing the free frames for shades as my old ones are getting well a bit old....sun's a mare in the evenings around here...
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:31 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
To be honest,I'd been thinking about going back to the UK for a couple of weeks and do it with my ex company doctor, but things are that busy that I can't get away, and unlikely to be able to manage it this year.

Funny you should say about ultrasound cost - I'm still trying to get my head around a US my wife had in the ER costing over 3 times the cost of the routine ones at her gynaes, even though they are done in the same room, by the same people.....and a 'pee on a stick" pregnancy stick costing $124!!
All ER work and materials always costs much much more - avoid them if you can wait to see your regular doctor and don't take any normal medicine from them like painkillers - you will be obscenely overcharged.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:39 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
All ER work and materials always costs much much more - avoid them if you can wait to see your regular doctor and don't take any normal medicine from them like painkillers - you will be obscenely overcharged.
Yeah, but on a saturday afternoon when a 3 month pregnant lady starts blleeding quite nastily, you don't really want to wait till monday to see the OBGYN.

Obscene is a good word for it - its obscene the way they take advantage of a patient you (even more than normal) because you have a situation that requires ER admission, rather than seeing the normal doctor. We went thru a similar situation in Singapore, and there the rates were the same for the 'work', irrespective of whether it had been ordered by the regular Gynae or the duty ER doctor.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:16 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Medical

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Obscene is a good word for it - its obscene the way they take advantage of a patient you (even more than normal) because you have a situation that requires ER admission, rather than seeing the normal doctor. We went thru a similar situation in Singapore, and there the rates were the same for the 'work', irrespective of whether it had been ordered by the regular Gynae or the duty ER doctor.
Yorkie: I have to agree with you, the medical facilities in Singapore are excellent. We had to take numerous trips to the ER at Mount Elizabeth and Gleneagles 24 hr medical centres for one reason or another (I didn't like Mt E though, visited a friend at the maternity unit and had to put the car in a lift in their multi-storey car park....nearly had a panic attack when the lift doors closed whilst I sat in the car....horrible experience). I can't really comprehend how the locals cope when they elect to stay in the cheaper non-airconditioned wards in the tropical heat though...

Our Singaporean doctor wouldn't give us any copies of our medical records when we left the country....did you get yours?
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:28 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Yorkie: I have to agree with you, the medical facilities in Singapore are excellent. We had to take numerous trips to the ER at Mount Elizabeth and Gleneagles 24 hr medical centres for one reason or another (I didn't like Mt E though, visited a friend at the maternity unit and had to put the car in a lift in their multi-storey car park....nearly had a panic attack when the lift doors closed whilst I sat in the car....horrible experience). I can't really comprehend how the locals cope when they elect to stay in the cheaper non-airconditioned wards in the tropical heat though...

Our Singaporean doctor wouldn't give us any copies of our medical records when we left the country....did you get yours?
Know what you mean about the non-aircon wards - pretty grim! And Mount E as just too big. We used Thomson Medical Centre - much smaller, more of a family feel, but just as well equipped.

Yes, we got full records when we left, no problems. I think we had to pay the copy fees for one of the doctors, but the other one (wifes gynae) just gave us a full copy no problem. My wife went back while she was pregnant with #2, and popped in to see the gynae that delivered #1. He made room in his schedule to see her, had a poke around for old times sake (say what!) and gave her a scan to make sure everything was OK before she got on the flight to come back. All for free!