Reload this Page >

Media Jobs in America

Media Jobs in America

Old May 18th 2010, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Verity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Media Jobs in America

Hello all,

Like many of you I am desperate to work in the USA. I have worked in the media for over 10 years. My trouble is I'm really struggling to find opportunities in this field - are they any websites I should be checking apart from the obvious ones (Turner / Fox etc)...and I do realise that in this field there are possibly very few sponsored opportunities...my friend did snag one at CNN for a few years but adverts like that rarely appear on UK websites and in UK newspapers

Any help or guidance greatly appreciated
Verity x (forum newbie)
Old May 18th 2010, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Media Jobs in America

Of some interest may be the Media visa:

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/mediavisa/

If you can maintain your current job (if you have one) remotely and justify being in the US to cover US events, that can get you in for a year with unlimited opportunity for multiple 1 year extensions.
Old May 18th 2010, 5:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of the wiki to get a handle of the visas to give you an idea of what you are up against.

Then, depending on the media work, your probably better off networking, linkedin etc and creativehead.net is pretty good.

Anyway, welcome to BE
Old May 18th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes the Beeb will do internal transfers to the US - a friend of mine did it that way. Another came in as an internal transfer for a magazine company which was setting up US versions of its magazines, and he ended up staying long term. Another friend came in as a sound engineer, but I've no idea what visa he came in on.

Do you work for an international media company? Might that be a route in?
Old May 19th 2010, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

I got over to the US through a transfer within United Business Media many years ago. The business and trade media might be a good bet, because (as you no doubt know) the traditional media is a shambles right now as all the players figure out how to lose less money. Working for a high-profile organization in the UK would also help get your foot in the door over here (BBC, for example).
Old May 19th 2010, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Verity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kins
Sometimes the Beeb will do internal transfers to the US - a friend of mine did it that way. Another came in as an internal transfer for a magazine company which was setting up US versions of its magazines, and he ended up staying long term. Another friend came in as a sound engineer, but I've no idea what visa he came in on.

Do you work for an international media company? Might that be a route in?
Thanks everyone so far for all your advice....certainly a couple of other things for me to look at now...I do actually work for the BBC and am intrigued by the internal transfers as mentioned by Kins...need to check that out asap !