Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mechanical Engineer Job Offer

Mechanical Engineer Job Offer

Old Dec 29th 2013, 4:11 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mechanical Engineer Job Offer

No, fortunately.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Weeze
You've clearly never been to Middlesbrough.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

davids9317 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
BP & Chevron are good options. Statoil and Maersk would be worth a look too, although Maersk are limited in USA right now. Taqa would probably be hiring but I don't know if they have anything in USA right now. Oxy (Occidental of Piper Alpha infamy), Chesapeake, Pioneer or EOG may hire direct to the USA. Try some specific oil and gas headhunters.

Avoid Exxon & Total. Exxon do very few external hires. Total will likely only want you to go to Africa.

I would also look to avoid Petrofac or Woodgroup. They tend to supply contract engineers to places oil companies can't staff. The money is good, but that doesn't tend to be USA.
Thanks that's really useful info!
Old Dec 29th 2013, 8:31 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davids9317
What are they all doing in a Singaporean bar? Travellers?
Lots of single expats out there...or at least there were in the 80s and 90s.....as I was relocating there (as a single guy) I read a statistic that 80% of single expats that stayed in Singapore for more than a year would be married before they left, and 75% of them would marry someone from a different country. I was one of the 75% of the 80%.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 8:41 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Another one to add to your list...BG/British Gas....I know quite a few offshore technical guys who were directly employed by them with the specific intention of relocating them out here after initially working in Reading. The guys I know were all LNG/marine experienced, and are working either fleet ops, ship building projects or FPSO/terminal design/construction, so not sure if that fits with your expertise, but at least it is a company that has a track record of targeting Brits for expat US positions.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

davids9317 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Another one to add to your list...BG/British Gas....I know quite a few offshore technical guys who were directly employed by them with the specific intention of relocating them out here after initially working in Reading. The guys I know were all LNG/marine experienced, and are working either fleet ops, ship building projects or FPSO/terminal design/construction, so not sure if that fits with your expertise, but at least it is a company that has a track record of targeting Brits for expat US positions.
Brilliant, i've got some research to do then with these companies, my experience is with mechanical maintenance, as a technician / mechanic / fitter or engineer, i bet that company has openings in them areas.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze
You've clearly never been to Middlesbrough.
We were there tonight, well, Teesside Park for the bowling.
It's actually quite pretty, in the dark, from a distance........
Old Dec 29th 2013, 10:32 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We were there tonight, well, Teesside Park for the bowling.
It's actually quite pretty, in the dark, from a distance........
Ahh, good old Hollywood bowl. You were within 5 miles of Weeze's childhood house then.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Ahh, good old Hollywood bowl. You were within 5 miles of Weeze's childhood house then.
I've got neighbours from Marton and Stockton too..... Why is everyone so keen to leave the Teesside area....?

Err, that was a rhetorical question, btw.....