Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Measles and MMR jabs US v. UK

Measles and MMR jabs US v. UK

Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:32 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Measles and MMR jabs US v. UK

Interesting article about the MMR vaccine and inoculation rates in the UK and the US. Especially interesting if you are coming over and questioning how serious they take vaccines in the states (in some cases parents were hauled into a court room and given the choice of the jab or jail).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...es-mmr-vaccine

...Vaccination rates among pupils starting school in the US are typically between 92% and 98%, compared with 78% in England and Wales.

Measles was declared last year to be once again endemic in the UK. Figures published last week confirmed there were 1,348 cases in England and Wales in 2008, a record high, up from 990 in 2007 and just 70 in 2001.

In contrast, in the first six months of 2008 there were just 135 confirmed cases of measles across the US, according to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Pennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant future
Default Re: Measles and MMR jabs US v. UK

As a child/baby I had measles,mumps and whatever the name is for rubella. I also had chicken pox, as did everyone else in the street(which was fantastic , extra two weeks holidays
As, most kids were in the UK, I was vaccinated for TB which was not a problem until the GC process! Save yourself some pain and $$$ if you have had the needle, get an X-ray!
Interestingly OH got a shot of something that stopped his "measurment" showing a positive TB, After his 'all clear' his skin test was much bigger than mine, lucky sod, and I had to get an x-ray.

Most states want Hep B for school... don't ask??!!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 3:03 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pennywell View Post
As a child/baby I had measles,mumps and whatever the name is for rubella. I also had chicken pox, as did everyone else in the street(which was fantastic , extra two weeks holidays
As, most kids were in the UK, I was vaccinated for TB which was not a problem until the GC process! Save yourself some pain and $$$ if you have had the needle, get an X-ray!
Interestingly OH got a shot of something that stopped his "measurment" showing a positive TB, After his 'all clear' his skin test was much bigger than mine, lucky sod, and I had to get an x-ray.

i had the tb jab at school - but my arm test was clear when i had it done 2 months ago so i didnt need an xray.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Pennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MsElui View Post
i had the tb jab at school - but my arm test was clear when i had it done 2 months ago so i didnt need an xray.
Must have been a faulty batch
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:37 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

my husband got the same results and his school was several hundred miles away from mine!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

nooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pennywell View Post

due to move to GA this year with 3 and 5 yr olds- both have had TB vac at birth - husb and I at school- will we need to do something then? sorry new to this don't know what GC process is. And they need hep B ?! Does US vacinate for chicken pox- i know some countries do
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:43 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Each state has a different vaccination requirement. You can find it on Google. Here is Georgia's schedule of vaccines

http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/askdoe.aspx...eq=ASKNewcomer
http://health.state.ga.us/pdfs/preve...immsched08.pdf

"Immunizations are required for diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, hepatitis B, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella (chicken pox)."

Hepatitis B is often required in the US. While it's not that much higher than it is in other countries, there are a number of immigrants to the US that come from Latin America or Asia where HepB is rather common. It's also a recommended shot should your children or you ever travel to the developing world in your future journeys.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:47 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

And I got a negative result too whereas my hubby got a positive result. Luck of the draw I'd say.

Originally Posted by MsElui View Post
my husband got the same results and his school was several hundred miles away from mine!
Old May 9th 2009, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Some of you may be interested in this info...

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/...1981?query=TOC
Old May 9th 2009, 12:36 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc View Post

Also, with an immigration angle, a quick google found this. (Ob disclaimer - I know nothing of the author or the blog, but came across it after being intrigued by the absence of any reference to home-schooling in the abstract Ozzidoc linked to).

The article notes that:
On September 30, 1996, Congress amended the Immigration and Nationality Act, or INA, by adding the requirement that all immigrants prove receipt of all vaccinations recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.[3] Thus, vaccines that are only recommended to the U.S. population automatically became mandatory for immigrants.
and:
Ultimately, the different rules for immigrants are a question of justice. The policy places a burden on immigrants that is not demanded of U.S. citizens. Vaccines are expensive. Gardasil, administered in three doses, costs about $360 for the series.[6] The high cost is a disadvantage to poorer immigrants.
However, I particularly liked:
Mandatory vaccination of immigrants can compound negative views towards them by implying that they are sexually promiscuous, disease-ridden, and pose significant health risks to Americans.
Old May 9th 2009, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I did find it interesting. Our daughter was born in 2001 in the UK and at the time there was a big scare on MMR jabs. People were actually asking for separate vaccinations (not the one MMR) At any rate our daughter had the required vaccinations (although I must admit I was scared silly, but with my older children I never questioned the fact.) However, when we arrived in the US, there were more requirements. I have since had one more DPT....but no more MMR, etc. I am against Varicella and have no idea why children need Hep B. The amount of vaccinations are staggering. My daughter falls into the under vaccinated group and since we live in Washington, I've been able to exempt her. However, common sense tells me should we have a serious outbreak of something she's not vaccinated for, she may very well be in a bad situation.
Old May 11th 2009, 4:02 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooj View Post
due to move to GA this year with 3 and 5 yr olds- both have had TB vac at birth - husb and I at school- will we need to do something then? sorry new to this don't know what GC process is. And they need hep B ?! Does US vacinate for chicken pox- i know some countries do
Hi interesting questions, and I have few answers, and also questions of my own? just due to plain nosiness to be honest!
Yes the US vaccinated against chicken pox, my boys had had the illness so I got a doctors letter from the UK which is doing the job so far, my boys are 4.
check the education board for your state required immunisations if Hep B is needed start getting it done in the UK, my PCT did it for free would have cost me $60 in the US on our co-pay, and I was amazed about it being free for kids in the UK, it costs £150 for adults in Kent and we where cheap compared to others offering the jab, the hep b can take between 3 and 6 months to give and in my opinion is a good vaccination to have as the Hep B virus is a hardy bugger, it has been found living in dryed blood upto 72 days after! it is easily transfered between people in institutions and to me that includes schools!
the fact that your children have had the BCG at birth? are you Asian? in a high density Asian area? as this is not done in normal circumstances, unless considered high risk, I lived in Leicester and all children in Asian neighbourhoods and families where vaccinated at birth, due to the high risk of family from India, Pakistan, ect visiting and unknowing having TB, the UK has stopped doing BCG otherwise. (that was the nosy bit feel free to ignore)
Its actually better protection for little children than adults so a good thing (BCG) but is believed to only work at best for 15 years, your kids shouldn't be tested as children it tend to be a work thing, and if they are in adulthood most likely it won't show up.
I was lucky and unlucky 15 years of nursing TB patients argueing the whole time I hadn't had the BCG, but being told, you have scar..me "no I don't wrong arm and small pos vax" them "you are to young to have a small pox vax" eventually I get to sit in with a chest physician doing BCGs and I ask him can you look at my arm telling him my story! he looks says "thats a small pox vaccine!" thank you! needless to say my co-workers where keen to vaccinate me, I refused, thinking 15 years and I haven't got it and at that point hubby was applying for jobs in the US, and we had enough American med students without BCGs to have made me look it up!
I hope this helps you I am the vacination queen I would never not take up a vaccine if offered (appart from BCG for the reason stated) they are a positive branch of medicine, actually preventing illness, and the more poeple who have them, the better, herd immunity! so for the few it doesn't work for the rest of them save them by not actually getting the illness!
that said I can't actually have the polio vaccine in the normal way as being 1 of well about 100 people worldwide who actually got mild polio after, I am due it, I just have to have it as an inpatient to be monitored, I don't expect any problems it was a one off. and if I do I am in the right place. I believe in herd immunity and vaccines that much. and the vaccine has been changed since I last used it
and if anyone has worries about MMR, 1 the doctor that started that admitted he had been paid, 2 it was only 12 children who already had autism, 3/check the finnish studies 4/the doctor was struck off 5/ if I am wrong? I would rather have an autistic child than a dead or severely brain damaged one!
Old May 11th 2009, 2:11 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've had four measles/MMR jabs in the 16 years I've lived here. (Compare that to one or less of everything else.) You'd think measles was raw communism.
Old May 11th 2009, 2:28 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting. Thanks.

Do you have any thoughts about the alleged causal relationship between childhood vaccinations and autism?
Old May 11th 2009, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 View Post
Very interesting. Thanks.

Do you have any thoughts about the alleged causal relationship between childhood vaccinations and autism?
A bunch of crap.

http://discovermagazine.com/2009/jun...oversy-live-on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.