Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Meaningless expresions

Meaningless expresions

Old Feb 9th 2005, 2:39 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meaningless expresions

"Did you find everything 'ok'?"
This is a question. The appropriate response is to say "yes," if you did find everything ok. If you didn't find everything you needed, the appropriate response is to say "no," and then say what you were looking for. What will then occur is that someone will go and get what you need.

But if you ever say "no" they look at you with a shock horror expression cos they dont know what to do next. It is a hollow, meaningless reply that they are conditioned to say.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 2:49 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
"Did you find everything 'ok'?"
This is a question. The appropriate response is to say "yes," if you did find everything ok. If you didn't find everything you needed, the appropriate response is to say "no," and then say what you were looking for. What will then occur is that someone will go and get what you need.

But if you ever say "no" they look at you with a shock horror expression cos they dont know what to do next. It is a hollow, meaningless reply that they are conditioned to say.

I can only speak for myself and some of the people I worked with but shock and horror were not the reactions that we exhibited when a customer answered our query. If they (customer) did reply with a specific request or comment then the correct response on the cashier's part is to try and help.
Conditioned? Sounds like Pavlov's dogs! Give me a break.
We were also trained to make eye contact with the customer and to greet them. Random customers are asked by supervisors to evaluate the cashier on these things.
I am sorry that you have had a less than satisfactory experience along those lines, but it is neither fair nor accurate to tar everyone similarly employed, with the same brush.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:15 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

"Get you some..." is one that drives me insane.

Relation: "Get you some."

Me: "Get me some what?"

Relation: "You know? Get you some."

Me: "I heard you but you still haven't told me what I am supposed to get."

Oh yeah, and if I hear "Get 'er done" one more time by some drunk red neck Larry The Cableguy fan, I swear I'll be on Death Row.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:19 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I am sorry that you have had a less than satisfactory experience along those lines, but it is neither fair nor accurate to tar everyone similarly employed, with the same brush.
I'm with Cindy on this. The checkout position is a hard job for minimal wage. I always try to be nice to the person, being English-born and therefore too embarrassed to tell them I couldn’t find something I wanted. Instead, I often ask them whether they’re at the beginning, middle or end of their shift or joke with them about the management of the store. I do not, however, reserve the same joviality if the management of the store should incur my wrath.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:38 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The one that irritates me is when, halfway through a meal, the waiter walks up and asks, "Does everything taste OK?"

Why, did you stick something in it? And why is it supposed to taste just OK, not great?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:42 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
The one that irritates me is when, halfway through a meal, the waiter walks up and asks, "Does everything taste OK?"

Why, did you stick something in it? And why is it supposed to taste just OK, not great?

Better yet....when you haven't even started eating yet and they come and ask "does everything look okay?"
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I dont mind being asked questions at the check out because I find that if you strike up a conversation the check out person is usually more than happy to stop with their usual patter. (You certainly notice the difference when you visit the UK)

I was in a fine dining restaurant recently with my friends and we found the waiter really annoying, he approached us too many times asking if everything was okay, he actually interupted us on more than one occsion. He even topped up our water when it really didnt need doing and leaned across me, so I again had to stop what I was saying to my friends. The thing is I know he was trying to give outstanding service but I ended up feeling a little frustrated. Obviously I didnt say anything being British.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

A colleague of mine ends almost every conversation with "Enjoy!" before he walks off. I think that might be a midwestern thing(?) I've heard it at restaurants all over, but not as a conversation-ender.

The Bahamas has some weird ones, especially greetings like "What it is?"

(pop quiz - anyone know the correct response to the above?)
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'm with Cindy on this. The checkout position is a hard job for minimal wage. I always try to be nice to the person, being English-born and therefore too embarrassed to tell them I couldn’t find something I wanted. Instead, I often ask them whether they’re at the beginning, middle or end of their shift or joke with them about the management of the store. I do not, however, reserve the same joviality if the management of the store should incur my wrath.
And I'm with you both

(Glad to hear I'm not the only one who is too embarrassed to tell them I couldn’t find something I wanted...)
Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:11 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I dont mind being asked questions at the check out because I find that if you strike up a conversation the check out person is usually more than happy to stop with their usual patter. (You certainly notice the difference when you visit the UK)

I was in a fine dining restaurant recently with my friends and we found the waiter really annoying, he approached us too many times asking if everything was okay, he actually interupted us on more than one occsion. He even topped up our water when it really didnt need doing and leaned across me, so I again had to stop what I was saying to my friends. The thing is I know he was trying to give outstanding service but I ended up feeling a little frustrated. Obviously I didnt say anything being British.
Grr! Then they remove the other persons plate before you have finished. Hubby explained that it's considered proper to do that here. But I find it almost impossible to continue eating when the person sitting with me has had their plate removed.

AND! "Are you still working on that?" AAAAAAAAaaaarrrrgggghh! I'd do time for that line, really I would!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:52 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Meaningless expresions

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

What is more irritating that I frequently get asked the question when my mouth is full and before I can answer, the server has already walked away. Smacks of insincerity since they don't hang around long enough to get a response...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

megs is on a distinguished road

Then there's the midwest habit of saying 'you bet' in response to 'thank you'. You bet how much? On what? Oh wait, you can't actually bet at all, can you?

Do I say anything? Certainly not, I'm British!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
A colleague of mine ends almost every conversation with "Enjoy!" before he walks off. I think that might be a midwestern thing(?) I've heard it at restaurants all over, but not as a conversation-ender.

The Bahamas has some weird ones, especially greetings like "What it is?"

(pop quiz - anyone know the correct response to the above?)

All right if no-one wants to play.

the correct response to being greeted with "What it is?" is to reply "Right here".
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

the correct response to being greeted with "What it is?" is to reply "Right here".
Can you translate the question and response into British English please?

Thanks,

NC Penguin
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

I thought it was interesting how English people say "Alright" when they mean hello. At first I would say "Yes, I'm good, how are you?" It took me awhile to figure out that it's not a question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.