Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it me or is the US banking system archaic?

Is it me or is the US banking system archaic?

Old Dec 17th 2003, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it me or is the US banking system archaic?

Originally posted by Pulaski
That isn't actually true. There is no legal prohibition on non-SSN holders opening bank accounts either in the USA Patriot Act, or anywhere else for that matter, .... however some, maybe even many, banks have decided to enforce a no-SSN, no bank account policy.

Try a smaller community bank, where you can ask to speak to somebody woth real authority if you have problems with the counter clerks, and be sure to have other ID with you - passport, birth certificate, immigration correspondence, etc.
I've held my account for a number of years, last time we were over in the States I added my husband on to the account, no problem. He also has no SSN. He has his own debit card and his name on the checks. They saw no problem with him not having a SSN.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 7:47 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
That isn't actually true. There is no legal prohibition on non-SSN holders opening bank accounts either in the USA Patriot Act, or anywhere else for that matter, .... however some, maybe even many, banks have decided to enforce a no-SSN, no bank account policy.

Try a smaller community bank, where you can ask to speak to somebody woth real authority if you have problems with the counter clerks, and be sure to have other ID with you - passport, birth certificate, immigration correspondence, etc.
I've been trying everyone Pulaski. My lawyer in the US, financial and tax advisor all tell me the same thing.

Most banks said a point blank no but Sovereign did say that if I go in with proof of my legal status in the US which will be my K1 details they would consider opening an account. Everyone I spoke to immediately cited the Patriot Act.

Out of curiosity I wonder what all the new FL holiday home owners will be doing.

At this stage I can't even be a co signatory on my fiances account and deposit money there. I'm going over in Jan to speak to the bank in person.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 7:48 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AmerLisa
I've held my account for a number of years, last time we were over in the States I added my husband on to the account, no problem. He also has no SSN. He has his own debit card and his name on the checks. They saw no problem with him not having a SSN.
The changes came about in October. Did he open the account after then?
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
The changes came about in October. Did he open the account after then?
No, sorry. It was the last time we were over there. Which has been over a year ago. I'm thankful that we did it now. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
- Debit cards - great idea, but get hit for 25c every time I use it. Writing checks is a pain but why charge us for a service that UK banks have been offering customers for free for yonks?

- Online banking - the same, pay a fee for a service that pales in comparison to Lloyds TSB Online (even if you do have to remember what your last meal but five was in order to retrieve your password)

- Check books - again, cost to customer, pray tell why I have to pay to be able to pay my bills. And it costs $30 to cancel the buggers.

- Transferring money - days and days and days, say no more.

- Qualifying for a bank credit card - among fellow Brits, do I really need to go there?

Is it just me?
Supermarkets - use them to get "cash back" @ no charge.

Try netbank for online banking, free bill pay
Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
- Debit cards - great idea, but get hit for 25c every time I use it. Writing checks is a pain but why charge us for a service that UK banks have been offering customers for free for yonks?

- Online banking - the same, pay a fee for a service that pales in comparison to Lloyds TSB Online (even if you do have to remember what your last meal but five was in order to retrieve your password)

- Check books - again, cost to customer, pray tell why I have to pay to be able to pay my bills. And it costs $30 to cancel the buggers.

- Transferring money - days and days and days, say no more.

- Qualifying for a bank credit card - among fellow Brits, do I really need to go there?

Is it just me?
No it's not just you. It is archaic - just like their national mentality.

Old Dec 17th 2003, 10:34 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default banks

Originally posted by Patrick
Firstly, welcome to America where nothing is free. Bank charges are like everything - part of the price you pay for living here. Banks are run much more like businesses in the USA where everyone pays for the running of the bank. In the UK it is big business who pays and the little people are left unscathed.

I pay the same for my business checks as I do my regular checks. As long as my accounts are in credit I don't pay monthly fees.

I went hunting for a car the other day and I was told my beacon score by the dealer - 601. They assumed (because of my age) it was because of bad credit but really it is because I have only lived here 9 months. Personally I was chuffed to bits with 601 after only 9 months and it proves that I have been doing the right things to build my credit slowly but surely.

Patrick

PS Doesn't it piss you off (in this day and age) when the person in front of you at the supermarket writes a check!

They told you your credit rating? Wow, they never do that here in the UK!
Btw I have to say, I bank with HSBC and they are excellent. No charges whatsover for direct debits, cheques, standing orders, arranged overdraft even (well just interest). I think HSBC is the only international bank in the UK.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

what i dont get is the check acceptance. wouldnt it be so much easier to use a guarantee card than a drivers licence? it pisses me off when i have to accept one at work because there are so many things to type in, plus you try entering letters on a register designed for numbers!
Old Dec 17th 2003, 12:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity I wonder what all the new FL holiday home owners will be doing.
No problem getting a bank account in Florida
Old Dec 17th 2003, 1:14 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Patrick
PS Doesn't it piss you off (in this day and age) when the person in front of you at the supermarket writes a check!
Oh hell yeah!! Couldn't agree more! The only way I've got around that one is to go to the self-checkout; soooo much easier and quicker too as so many people aren't sure of what to do so they go to a checkout where there's a real live person!! lol

There are times when automation really does pay off!
I love technology; 'cept when it screws up!! LOL
Old Dec 17th 2003, 1:23 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess those annoying folks writing checks are those who like me are charged 25c each time they use their debit card.

I'm with First Virginia, which has just merged with BB&T...a disastrous exercise which screwed up all my direct deposits...anyway, BB&T don't charge you to use your card, but charge you a hefty sum for checks (and an even heftier sum if you want pretty Florentine patterns on them)!

no win situation, unless you are really prepared to shop around...but being a Brit I am tempted to stay with a bank that knows me and after 5 years in the country was prepared to give me a credit card!
Old Dec 17th 2003, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

adamfdz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JulianB
I'm with BoA. I get ripped off for new checks, but don't use those much anyway. Debit cards are free, the online banking system is not bad, money transfers are pretty painless.
Just a suggestion, but why don't those of you who use checks (cheques) buy a software package for your PC and print them yourself? It is much cheaper. I hardly ever use checks, but when i need some print 6 off (there are six blanks per page) to use.

I bank with USAA-the military bank who are WONDERFUL. No fees to bank, they even refund me the surcharges other banks charge to use their ATM's, up to ten a month. My car loan is the lowest possible, savings have highest interest rates and my investments have zero management fees. Plus i can do everything (transfer money, download statements to MS money and make CC payments) all online, and their phone line is open until 11pm at night. Makes Brclays, my UK bank look like a bunch of idiots-which they are.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 1:32 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by adamfdz
Makes Brclays, my UK bank look like a bunch of idiots-which they are.
Couldn't agree more with ya!! I used to bank with Barclays and they'd be more than happy to take the shirt off your back over minor things. They sucked!!

With Wachovia here and they're as good as gold. Highly recommended.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 1:36 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by ray6
No problem getting a bank account in Florida
When did you open it?
Old Dec 17th 2003, 1:52 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
what i dont get is the check acceptance. wouldnt it be so much easier to use a guarantee card than a drivers licence? it pisses me off when i have to accept one at work because there are so many things to type in, plus you try entering letters on a register designed for numbers!

What if you don't drive and don't have a licence?
Also, surely having the licence details doesn't prevent the cheque from bouncing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.