Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ME/MA -> Indiana Roadtrip ideas?

ME/MA -> Indiana Roadtrip ideas?

Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default ME/MA -> Indiana Roadtrip ideas?

So in the summer, we may or may not be heading that way for a wedding, it's been a on and off thing, so who knows.

But it's a 14 hour odd straight drive from here and the place is about an hour from Chicago.

So if you had a half day or a day to spend along the way, what would be the must stop location or route?

Also considering nipping up and over via Canada, but only seems to save a 100 miles or so, so not much.

Currently thinking, if we do this, that we'll break the trek up with a stop to check a place out on the way and another on the way back and possibly a day in Chicago.

So yeah, top recommendations for places to stop by or places to not bother with?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ME/MA -> Indiana Roadtrip ideas?

Originally Posted by Bob
So in the summer, we may or may not be heading that way for a wedding, it's been a on and off thing, so who knows.

But it's a 14 hour odd straight drive from here and the place is about an hour from Chicago.

So if you had a half day or a day to spend along the way, what would be the must stop location or route?

Also considering nipping up and over via Canada, but only seems to save a 100 miles or so, so not much.

Currently thinking, if we do this, that we'll break the trek up with a stop to check a place out on the way and another on the way back and possibly a day in Chicago.

So yeah, top recommendations for places to stop by or places to not bother with?
If you go through Indianapolis you could check out the kids museum. My 2 small people loved it. We would spend hours there! 2 adults and 2 kids cost about $60.
I'm only really familiar with Central Indy.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
If you go through Indianapolis you could check out the kids museum. My 2 small people loved it. We would spend hours there! 2 adults and 2 kids cost about $60.
I'm only really familiar with Central Indy.
Oh that's pretty good going as that's about the cost of 2 adults down this way

It might help if we knew exactly where the wedding is happening, but all we've been told is it'll be out there and an hour away ish from Chicago.

Family...what can you do
Old Nov 27th 2012, 6:17 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Summer trip, so Ithaca? Nice little college town with a good vibe and outdoorsy stuff to do - picturesque little gorge thingy to do a small hike along (just a few miles, nice views and photogenic) and also the finger lakes are right there.

If you went the Canada route then Toronto and/or Niagara Falls?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:00 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, the Children's Museum is a must see when visiting Indianapolis. (As is the zoo and Connor Prairie.) Thing is, if Bob's destination is in the Indiana suburbs of Chicago, going through Indy is a bit out of the way.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by SarahG
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by tonrob

That's what I was thinking as a return journey. Been to Montreal a few times, ended up in the burbs of Toronto, but not actually making it into the city, so would be nice to actually drive through it and do Niagara from the Canadian side.

All depends on how much time we can afford to put into this...and one downside would be needing to spend extra money on getting the missus a passport renewed and the kids as I'm the only one with a valid passport right now, it would seem after checking
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

DexterBerkeley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
That's what I was thinking as a return journey. Been to Montreal a few times, ended up in the burbs of Toronto, but not actually making it into the city, so would be nice to actually drive through it and do Niagara from the Canadian side.
just tied a trip to Niagara at the weekend with some meetings near Toronto. I think you can tick off most things worth doing in half a day in winter. The boats don't run then and most of the attractions aside from the Skylon tower are pretty tacky. In summer i guess a day wiht the boat and spending more time walkling around as you're not going to be freezinf your nads off.

If you go to Toronto be warned there is a shoe museum there, fortunately my wife was there while I was at a prospect when she found it, but it does contain a lot of shoes and she was there for hours!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:43 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

spend a day at Cedar Point instead.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:08 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Summer trip, so Ithaca? Nice little college town with a good vibe and outdoorsy stuff to do - picturesque little gorge thingy to do a small hike along (just a few miles, nice views and photogenic) and also the finger lakes are right there.

Ithaca and the surrounding area is beautiful - well worth a visit. There are masses of picturesque gorges, waterfalls, plus the lakes.

The Henry Ford is worth a look - http://www.thehenryford.org/

Would avoid driving into Canada as you will have to navigate 2 border crossings which could take a lot longer than driving the extra miles. Also Toronto traffic makes the M25 look like an empty country lane!
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

So it seems Huntington is the final destination, somewhere....

So is that realistically a decent drive to Chicago? Looks a bit further than anticipated, a couple of hours or so?

Also seems like a pretty straight shot around Lake Erie and then down a bit...so the lake worth driving around or just by pass it?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:10 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
spend a day at Cedar Point instead.
This would be my suggestion. Might be the best roller coaster park (dons Clarkson voice) in the world.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
This would be my suggestion. Might be the best roller coaster park (dons Clarkson voice) in the world.
And after watching TG on BBCA last night - I had it instantly as Clarkson would say it - brilliant!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So it seems Huntington is the final destination, somewhere....
If that destination is Huntington, Indiana, then you'll be pleased to know that you're about to visit the city that launched the career of one of America's most celebrated politicians. This was (is?) a man who was reported on, and quoted, almost daily in both the US and international press. He became a well known household name when he served as Vice President of the United States, and his fame was almost unrivaled. Such a chance to worship a political figure at the very location that catapulted him to such notoriety. Yes, what else is there to do in Huntington (aside from attending a wedding), than to pay homage to Dan Quayle!

Two hours to Chicago, maximum (in good weather).

Last edited by theOAP; Jan 4th 2013 at 7:49 am.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Hiro11
That's actually what I'd like to do, but no one else seemed interested...oh well
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by theOAP
If that destination is Huntington, Indiana, then you'll be pleased to know that you're about to visit the city that launched the career of one of America's most celebrated politicians. This was (is?) a man who was reported on, and quoted, almost daily in both the US and international press. He became a well known household name when he served as Vice President of the United States, and his fame was almost unrivaled. Such a chance to worship a political figure at the very location that catapulted him to such notoriety. Yes, what else is there to do in Huntington (aside from attending a wedding), than to pay homage to Dan Quayle!

Two hours to Chicago, maximum (in good weather).
That's really selling the city

Anyway, one possibility is to wing south a little and head through WV and KT rather than going just below Lake Erie...it only adds a couple hundred miles and that's really nothing on a 1.1K trip...might be for something on the way back.

If nothing else, it'll tick off a couple more states visited, even if only briefly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.