Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

MBA's UK or USA?

MBA's UK or USA?

Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MBA's UK or USA?

I had the same dilemma a few years back when I was deciding what university to do my MBA at. I was in a similar position in that I had a number of years experience under my belt and was pretty happy in my field, but needed an understanding of the topics covered in an MBA to feel comfortable in my industry as I progressed up the ladder.

My consideration was that if I wanted to get into a Fortune 500 company, and the contacts that would be needed in that field, then a top tier school was essential (along with the price tag). As I didn't want to do that I chose to go to one of the Cal State schools that had the benefit of being 2 miles from my house, and was considerably less costly. I got the knowledge for about 1/10th the cost.

Pretty much all general MBAs cover the same topics so if you're already established in your field and have a track record in it, then a decent, nationally recognized school would be fine.

My 10c
Old Nov 13th 2010, 3:19 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned earlier, there are probably better degrees to get if you want to teach at college.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

I am a Brit who has an MBA from one of the top European Schools (in fact it hit the #1 spot in Business Week for International MBA last week)!

Anyway, I've been working in the US for nearly 8 years now and I still get comments like "where" and "how do you spell that?" if my graduate school ever comes up in conversation. And that is when working for a Fortune 100 company and talking to recruiters who recruit only MBAs! Brand recognition isn't what I'd like it to be.

My recommendation to anyone who is thinking about going to my school to do an MBA is always to consider where they plan to work post-MBA. If it is exclusively USA then I typically don't recommend going to a UK (or non-US institution). You're better off going to a school which has some US recognition.

And as other posters have mentioned, if you really are considering an MBA, then it's a full-on commitment. You might be better off doing a masters than an MBA.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

stormgal is just really nicestormgal is just really nicestormgal is just really nicestormgal is just really nicestormgal is just really nicestormgal is just really nicestormgal is just really nicestormgal is just really nice

Don't make the mistake of going for an MBA at Devry or other non reputable school. I think someone already mentioned that, and they are absolutely right. All Devry will do is take your money - don't get yourself into debt for no returns. In fact, any MBA program that's mostly completed online is not worth it.

As far as International schools are concerned, I will have to disagree with the person who said that they do not count for anything.

If you hold a degree from a reputable school like LBS (london business school), or from INSEAD, then you're good to go. You will be evaluated on your interview, experience, recommendations, etc. But the degree itself would be perfect.

But again, I would NOT waste my money on Devry.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Hi

Can I just ask a question?
I have 20 years accountancy experience FCCA. I am a project manager and head of finance, project and systems. I work for the NHS.
I am currently doing an MBA at Oxford uni online as I work full time.

Part time MBA should be 30 months but I can do it in 21 as my past experience, qualifications etc, are taken into consideration.
When I complete my MBA would it be recognised in the USA.
I appreciate I also have to do CPA exams for the state I will reside in.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 24th 2010, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadieb
When I complete my MBA would it be recognised in the USA.
There's no way to answer. Recognized by whom and for what purpose? For future graduate study? Probably yes. For employment? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Ian
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There's no way to answer. Recognized by whom and for what purpose? For future graduate study? Probably yes. For employment? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Ian
Recognised by an employer. I am not doing any further graduate study. The only study left would be a PhD is that what you mean by further graduate study. Thanks for the answer, I appreciate you taking the time but I am no further forward.