Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

MBA - worth it or waste of time?

MBA - worth it or waste of time?

Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:10 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MBA - worth it or waste of time?

Originally Posted by ladylisa
However I think that is because he's British because all the other staff in his office who recruit do so mainly on the basis of qualifications.
I think America is seeing the error of their ways here. The .com era was run by MBA'ers
Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:24 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know anything about how good or bad MBA's are but what I do know is you would be much better off looking at local colleges. Especially if you look at state colleges. they will be much cheaper and many do online courses as individual courses or whole online degrees. This will give you the best of both worlds - if you struggle you have access to the university because it won't be too far away, and you will get your own state university on your degree rather than some online university. You could also choose to do the online degree but when you know there is going to be a course that you are going to find very difficult try and go to one or two of the college classes of the same course (anyone who goes to the university can sit in on these courses as long as you ask for permission from the Professor) to help you understand.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:30 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
That's definitely how it's been seen in every large company I've worked for, to a point. Having an MBA does grease the slides of getting you on the fast track, but it's far from the only (or even most important) factor.

Also, an MBA from Harvard, Wharton, Chicago GSB or other top school is (obviously) worth much more than an MBA from a less prestigious school. Correspondance or similar type degrees are almost entirely useless in terms of career advancement, IMO.
Careful now - if my "friend" from the other evening ever checks out these boards you may be on the receiving end of some serious verbals.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Careful now - if my "friend" from the other evening ever checks out these boards you may be on the receiving end of some serious verbals.
Do you count him still as a friend?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:40 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Do you count him still as a friend?
He never really was in the first place and he certainly isn't now, hence the quotes.
I guess it would have been easier to type tw*t and just drop the quotes
Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Franc11s,

Well I wouldnt say many companies just employ MBA's ! (would be nice though) and I realise experience counts for an aweful lot. I also realise that many companies do require certain university qualifications. Personnaly, I would have thought someone, while working a full time job and going to Uni at night goes some way to highlight the individuals willingness to work hard, a certian degree of intelligence and self motivation. You dont have to do an MBA full time you know !
As you point out, two individuals applying for a job on equal experience, the one with the MBA would likely be picked...In my field, and Im sure many fields, one job posting is met by many good good candidates and this 'MBA' might make all the difference.
I realise you, Bill Gates and Richard Branson didnt go the educational route but I would think it unwise for average joe to ditch education and think they can do as you three did...unfortuantly !

Last edited by MrDub; Jan 10th 2006 at 6:51 am.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:12 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Yesterday the discussion of MBA's arose on another subject but it did get me thinking about this issue. My OH will get a part funding from his company if he wants to do his MBA, were not sure on the exact amount they will contribute yet as we are still looking into it. However I wonder if anyone on this site has taken their MBA and if so did they feel it helped them in any way by having it. We looked into online courses with the University of Phoenix and it would be about $25,500 and with another online University (Keller) about $28,000 plus extras. I've also noticed the University of Liverpool do online MBA programmes so I will make enquiries there also. That would then obviously be a UK course. I wonder whether a US or UK MBA would have more standing. Anyway if anyone has any thoughts or experiences I would be interested to hear.
My father-in-law is a dean of a business school and he says MBA's count if they are from a good school. Otherwise every other person has one. Lots of colleges offer MBA's and they teach pretty much the same thing. The difference with the top MBA's is the networking opportunities, the type of exposure you get (e.g. top level CEO's coming in to do presentations/seminars) and the power of the brand. No offense but he didn't seem to think the online ones were much good.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:24 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure I could bang one out on the printer for $19.99........
for aother $10 ..I'll give you a knighthood ...
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
Im sure I could bang one out on the printer for $19.99........
for aother $10 ..I'll give you a knighthood ...
ooohhh I'll have one of those....
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shahlax
My father-in-law is a dean of a business school and he says MBA's count if they are from a good school. Otherwise every other person has one. Lots of colleges offer MBA's and they teach pretty much the same thing. The difference with the top MBA's is the networking opportunities, the type of exposure you get (e.g. top level CEO's coming in to do presentations/seminars) and the power of the brand. No offense but he didn't seem to think the online ones were much good.

.....but if everyone else has one is that not reason enough to get one !?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrDub
.....but if everyone else has one is that not reason enough to get one !?
You would have thought...a bit like everyone has a degree but you still need one to get through the door at most jobs especially if everyone else has one.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:12 am
Thinking about it

You would have thought...a bit like everyone has a degree but you still need one to get through the door at most jobs especially if everyone else has one.
What I would say to you from my ivory tower is this - do you really want to work somewhere where management need you to have a piece of paper to 'certify' your intelligence because they have neither the wit nor the inclination to suss you out for themselves ??
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

What I would say to you from my ivory tower is this - do you really want to work somewhere where management need you to have a piece of paper to 'certify' your intelligence because they have neither the wit nor the inclination to suss you out for themselves ??
Oh I agree, I think its a shame that it is this way in this country, in the main. I dont even have a degree and the first girl I met here told me that I probably wouldn't find a good job then... thanks a bunch! I think in the UK there is a more sensible approach to the whole topic of qualifications.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:17 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree - I wouldn't do one because I don't feel I need it and I don't want to do it. My wife wanted to do it (mainly because she'd like to do a Phd) and enjoyed the challenge. I think you're heading for a very unenjoyable experience if you are doing it for any reason other than just being interested in what you learn from it.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:22 am
Thinking about it

Oh I agree, I think its a shame that it is this way in this country, in the main. I dont even have a degree and the first girl I met here told me that I probably wouldn't find a good job then... thanks a bunch! I think in the UK there is a more sensible approach to the whole topic of qualifications.
I take it you lied about the degree thing then ??
Hope you don't think I'm being rude but I've had a few friends do that back home and none of them has ever been found out.
One could argue that it might be even easier to lie about a UK degree all the way over here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.