Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Maybe a stupid question

Maybe a stupid question

Old Mar 6th 2005, 5:29 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maybe a stupid question

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Originally Posted by NC Penguin
TRPardoe may have had luck in bringing in his catfood because:

1) he declares it
2) it's not for human consumption
3) it's in the original manufacturer's sealed packaging
#3 is 100% necessary.
That's for sure -- take a look at what happened to me:

http://tinyurl.com/5734o

~ Jenney
Old Mar 7th 2005, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Anything canned should be ok.

I have brought Whiskas cat food in many times in the foil packets. I know it sounds stupid but you can get flavours in the Uk that you cannot get here, the packs are larger and the cats go wild for them compared to the US ones.

When you get to Customs, go to the Agriculture desk and declare it. Ask them innocently "is it ok". You should be alright. That's what I do with the Whiskas. The Ag boys find it highly amusing.

By the way, I wonder why Whiskas in the UK is in 100 gram packs whereas in the US it is in 85 gram packs. Do UK cats have larger appetites ?

When I came over I asked Virgin Atlantic if I could bring some cans of dog food with me ... they said that if the dog food was wet rather than dry, then no I couldn't, not even if it was in a sealed can direct from the manufacturer. What I didn't understand is that they then went on to tell me that I could bring dry dog biscuits (which contain meat), regardless of whether they were in their original packing or not. None of it made sense to me, but I followed their advice and not one word was said about my plastic bag full of loose dog biscuits!
Old Mar 7th 2005, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I think perhaps the FDA distinguishes between import by an individual (e.g. carrying it with them from overseas or sending it through the mail) versus import for commercial purposes (for resale).
NC Penguin
Not so long ago I was searching for information about having food products sent from the UK to the US by mail. What I didn't understand was that there were so many formalities/restrictions and yet those formalities/restrictions were removed for foods that were home cooked? Surely there is more risk when food items are mailed to the US that are not manufactured and sealed by a known company?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 9:24 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Not so long ago I was searching for information about having food products sent from the UK to the US by mail. What I didn't understand was that there were so many formalities/restrictions and yet those formalities/restrictions were removed for foods that were home cooked? Surely there is more risk when food items are mailed to the US that are not manufactured and sealed by a known company?
Yep it's true -- the US would rather allow in the hashish brownies baked by Grandma than a packet of Tangfastics. Go figure.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 10:43 am
Just Joined

UKMom24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Maybe a stupid question

There is a website that I use sometimes - www.ukgoods.com. Not sure if any of you have heard of it. They have some great stuff on there, plus they are always adding to it.