British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Maybe a stupid question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/maybe-stupid-question-287957/)

rogerpenycate Mar 4th 2005 6:58 pm

Maybe a stupid question

I know there's a ban on bringing meat etc from the UK.
But my daughter is coming over in 10 days and I have a craving for a Fray Bentos Suet steak and kidney pudding (tinned) anyone know if that's legal

jjmb Mar 4th 2005 7:24 pm

Re: Maybe a stupid question

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
But my daughter is coming over in 10 days and I have a craving for a Fray Bentos Suet steak and kidney pudding (tinned) anyone know if that's legal

Simple no

rogerpenycate Mar 4th 2005 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by jjmb
Simple no

Cheers.
Damn !!
I did eventually find the answer by digging deep into a Google, but you beat the computer by about 3 minutes.
Thanks

TRPardoe Mar 4th 2005 7:26 pm

Anything canned should be ok.

I have brought Whiskas cat food in many times in the foil packets. I know it sounds stupid but you can get flavours in the Uk that you cannot get here, the packs are larger and the cats go wild for them compared to the US ones.

When you get to Customs, go to the Agriculture desk and declare it. Ask them innocently "is it ok". You should be alright. That's what I do with the Whiskas. The Ag boys find it highly amusing.

By the way, I wonder why Whiskas in the UK is in 100 gram packs whereas in the US it is in 85 gram packs. Do UK cats have larger appetites ?

Rushman Mar 4th 2005 8:06 pm

I can understand you missing the puddings they were good but could never understand anyone missing the pies (tinned also) they make. They tasted like dog food wrapped in wet cardboard. The thought of them is making me wretch!!!

AlisonPA Mar 4th 2005 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
I can understand you missing the puddings they were good but could never understand anyone missing the pies (tinned also) they make. They tasted like dog food wrapped in wet cardboard. The thought of them is making me wretch!!!

My sentiments exactly and they smell like dog food too - not a lot of meat in the pies either :eek:

dbj1000 Mar 4th 2005 8:49 pm

Remember, Google is more than just an over-hyped tech stock!

A simple search for "canned meat usa" sent me to the following link:

www.foreignborn.com

which gives the following information:

Meats, Livestock, Poultry

Meats, livestock, poultry and their by-products (e.g., sausage, pâté) are either prohibited or restricted from entering the United States, depending upon the animal disease condition in the country of origin. Fresh meat is generally prohibited from most countries. Canned meat is permitted if the inspector can determine that it is commercially canned, cooked in the container, hermetically sealed, and can be kept without refrigeration. Other canned, cured, or dried meat is severely restricted.

For detailed requirements, you should contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Center for Import and Export, APHIS-VS, 4700 River Rd., Unit 40, Riverdale, MD 20737-1231, USA.

...which seems to answer your question pretty precisely. :D

Ellie203 Mar 4th 2005 8:51 pm

Roger, you can get Fray Bentos pies over here. I saw them on one of the websites I ordered British food from. Sorry, can't remember the website. :( (Google "British Food"). If they can be imported by Brit stores here then I can't see why it would be illegal for your daughter to bring one into the country.

Big D Mar 4th 2005 8:53 pm

i have brought them in before now - not saying its legal though!

NC Penguin Mar 4th 2005 9:02 pm

Meat and its derivatives in any shape or form is a no-no. Your daughter might have to be satisfied with a clean and empty tin instead...

NC Penguin

dbj1000 Mar 4th 2005 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Meat and its derivatives in any shape or form is a no-no. Your daughter might have to be satisfied with a clean and empty tin instead...

NC Penguin

Tha's not correct, according to the information I found and posted in my message above.

MightBe Mar 4th 2005 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Tha's not correct, according to the information I found and posted in my message above.

just goes to show we are not all infallible My Customs site overules your site.

Customs say "Meats, Livestock, and Poultry
The regulations governing meat and meat products are very strict. You may not import fresh, dried, or canned meats or meat products from most foreign countries into the United States. Also, you may not import food products that have been prepared with meat.
http://www.customs.treas.gov/xp/cgov...tockandPoultry

dbj1000 Mar 4th 2005 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by MightBe
just goes to show we are not all infallible My Customs site overules your site.

Customs say "Meats, Livestock, and Poultry
The regulations governing meat and meat products are very strict. You may not import fresh, dried, or canned meats or meat products from most foreign countries into the United States. Also, you may not import food products that have been prepared with meat.
http://www.customs.treas.gov/xp/cgov...tockandPoultry

lol. Yep, your site trumps mine.

There must be some room for interpretation by the individual Customs Officer though, if you look at TRPardoe's Whiskas experience.

MightBe Mar 4th 2005 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000
lol. Yep, your site trumps mine.

There must be some room for interpretation by the individual Customs Officer though, if you look at TRPardoe's Whiskas experience.

Its that damn little sniffer dog , if he sits down to your bag, you are in the doo doo.

AdobePinon Mar 5th 2005 2:46 am

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
When you get to Customs, go to the Agriculture desk and declare it. Ask them innocently "is it ok". You should be alright. That's what I do with the Whiskas. The Ag boys find it highly amusing.

Exactly how I play the game. You'd be surprised how few things they realy care about. However, rogerpenycate cannot play this game because then they would discover the twelve bottles of Scotch that his daughter is bringing. ;)