Reload this Page >

Maybe moving to Houston...

Maybe moving to Houston...

Old Nov 6th 2008, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Red face Maybe moving to Houston...

Hi everybody,

Sorry to be vague and I've seen from other threads that Houston has been discussed almost exhaustively... and we're none the wiser as to whether we want to move there or not - it seems a bit like Marmite.

There is a good chance that my job may move out to Houston (and hopefully me with it). It's likely that I'd have to make the decision to commit quite quickly and so we are vaguely looking at areas to see if there is somewhere we might want to concentrate on if the opportunity arises.

If we go, I'd be working in the Galleria area.... We have two kids aged 5 and 7and so schools and community are really important to us. We don't want to be too near the major metropolitan areas. We were looking at any of the following:

Somewhere near Katy - Has the widening of the I-10 made any difference to commute times? How long approx to get to the Galleria area? (I saw a Cinco Ranch realty website estimating 30 mins but suspect this isn't the case).

Pearland - Don't know much about this area but someone recommended Silverlake. Anyone had a good experience here?

Sienna Plantation (Missouri City) - This looks very family-friendly but looking at the map, it's probably bigger than our town in England. It also seems to have a railroad running right through the middle...

Woodlands - Looks like a lot of ex-pats there but I read a few reviews saying it was a bit snobby... anyone agree/disagree?

Aaaghh... so many to choose from. If anyone's had a good experience in a neighbourhood that's reasonably commutable to Galleria, would really appreciate your ideas.

Many thanks,

Dougster.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 4:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maybe moving to Houston...

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Hi everybody,

Sorry to be vague and I've seen from other threads that Houston has been discussed almost exhaustively... and we're none the wiser as to whether we want to move there or not - it seems a bit like Marmite.

There is a good chance that my job may move out to Houston (and hopefully me with it). It's likely that I'd have to make the decision to commit quite quickly and so we are vaguely looking at areas to see if there is somewhere we might want to concentrate on if the opportunity arises.

If we go, I'd be working in the Galleria area.... We have two kids aged 5 and 7and so schools and community are really important to us. We don't want to be too near the major metropolitan areas. We were looking at any of the following:

Somewhere near Katy - Has the widening of the I-10 made any difference to commute times? How long approx to get to the Galleria area? (I saw a Cinco Ranch realty website estimating 30 mins but suspect this isn't the case).

Pearland - Don't know much about this area but someone recommended Silverlake. Anyone had a good experience here?

Sienna Plantation (Missouri City) - This looks very family-friendly but looking at the map, it's probably bigger than our town in England. It also seems to have a railroad running right through the middle...

Woodlands - Looks like a lot of ex-pats there but I read a few reviews saying it was a bit snobby... anyone agree/disagree?

Aaaghh... so many to choose from. If anyone's had a good experience in a neighbourhood that's reasonably commutable to Galleria, would really appreciate your ideas.

Many thanks,

Dougster.
Hello and welcome to BE.

I have never been to Houston...although there are several on here that live in the area...no doubt someone will be along soon.

FWIW I would never consider moving unless I could visit first.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody,

Many thanks,

Dougster.

hiya....

I10 is now complete and from inside loop 610 heading west to the Katy exits takes about 15/20 mins, traffic moving that is and me doing about 80....the 5 yr widening project has made a great difference to commute times out that direction....

most peeps living in the galleria area send their kiddies to private school and so Katy or Sugarland would be your best bet or even The Woodlands. It's not snobby..far from it infact....it's just another huge kiddie purpose built community like Katy.

good luck
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

My recommendation for the nicest area to live would be the area surrounding Rice University in West University Place:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_University_Place

Going a number of blocks in all directions from the Rice campus is nice, especially the areas to the west and north.

This is an expensive place to buy, but renting a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment should be fine. Back in 2003-2005 I rented a large (850 sq. ft.) 1 bedroom place just a couple of blocks from campus in a nice complex for less than $800.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SamuearlJackson
My recommendation for the nicest area to live would be the area surrounding Rice University in West University Place:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_University_Place

Going a number of blocks in all directions from the Rice campus is nice, especially the areas to the west and north.

This is an expensive place to buy, but renting a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment should be fine. Back in 2003-2005 I rented a large (850 sq. ft.) 1 bedroom place just a couple of blocks from campus in a nice complex for less than $800.
i know WestU quite well. expensive schooling and not very kiddie orientated imo.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i know WestU quite well. expensive schooling and not very kiddie orientated imo.
Agree.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I also agree.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Something to be wary of in the Houston area is flooding. Make sure you don't settle in an area that is particularly prone to high water.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Something to be wary of in the Houston area is flooding. Make sure you don't settle in an area that is particularly prone to high water.

Which is pretty much all of inside the loop
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Which is pretty much all of inside the loop
we are not in a flood area and afaik inside the loop fared pretty well during the hurricane.....
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

we are not in a flood area and afaik inside the loop fared pretty well during the hurricane.....
Quit disagreeing with me........
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Quit disagreeing with me........
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

See.........that's why it floods. All those tears
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

They were lucky then. I was living near the Medical Center in '93 - '94. A very heavy spring rainstorm in '94 filled Bray's Bayou to within a couple of feet of the top. If the rain had kept on for another day it would have overtopped and flooded the MC. Fortunately I was renting a 2nd floor apt at the time. Quite a sight to see the bayou that high; normally there's just a trickle in the bottom.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bill_S
They were lucky then. I was living near the Medical Center in '93 - '94. A very heavy spring rainstorm in '94 filled Bray's Bayou to within a couple of feet of the top. If the rain had kept on for another day it would have overtopped and flooded the MC. Fortunately I was renting a 2nd floor apt at the time. Quite a sight to see the bayou that high; normally there's just a trickle in the bottom.
yep, we all were lucky except the poor galveston/bolivar people. i know of two people that live near the medical centre and although not in a designated flood area they feared the worst as Ike approached but all was well. seems a lot has been done to rectify flooding in that area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.